Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  ejguillot : (15 November 2019 - 08:19 PM)

Anybody get on here anymore?

@  ejguillot : (01 November 2019 - 02:23 AM)

It should be possible, you might want to get a surplus connector so you can hook the fan motor to a battery.

@  Greg2000GS : (01 November 2019 - 01:58 AM)

cooling fan suspect. Is there a way to test it by jumping connector?

@  Fast86GN : (31 October 2019 - 01:23 PM)

I'm here....

@  ejguillot : (27 October 2019 - 01:39 PM)

Let's try to bring this forum back to life a bit... I'll be on fairly often (now that my project Regal is seeing some progress).

@  ejguillot : (27 October 2019 - 01:38 PM)

Let

@  ejguillot : (01 October 2019 - 02:44 AM)

And I will have a 1999 GS transmission, about 140K miles, shift kit installed, available for sale soon. in Tampa FL.

@  ejguillot : (01 October 2019 - 02:20 AM)

Hi everyone. Still working on my project car GS.

@  alemstrom : (24 September 2019 - 04:36 PM)

It runs!

@  Fast86GN : (10 September 2019 - 03:11 PM)

Saw a few on FB 3800 marketplace

@  BigSexxyGS : (16 August 2019 - 02:08 PM)

Im here. Looking for a trans for a 2003 GS...Help!

@  NKmssin3 : (05 August 2019 - 11:20 PM)

I check back in on occasion to.

@  Crazyguy03 : (07 July 2019 - 07:50 PM)

Yes

@  tpivette : (05 July 2019 - 02:47 AM)

I stop back every once in a while

@  ejguillot : (30 June 2019 - 08:36 PM)

Wow, is anyone on anymore? Leave a shoutbox comment please!

@  ejguillot : (10 June 2019 - 04:28 PM)

unfortunately, I have to agree.

@  buck531 : (09 June 2019 - 03:14 AM)

this place is dead.

@  buck531 : (09 June 2019 - 03:14 AM)

congrats Alan!

@  buck531 : (30 April 2019 - 02:14 PM)

DOH

@  ejguillot : (22 April 2019 - 10:40 PM)

I haven't. Still on here occasionally, Facebook is the work of Satan. :P

Photo
- - - - -

General Info: The exhaust thread to end all threads! (work in progress)

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 WildGS

WildGS

Fastest FWD GS in the PNW

• Administrator
  • 4,433 posts
  • LocationChehalis, WA
  • First Name:
    David

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:17 PM

First of all this is a work in progress so please bear with me........

OK, every other day someone is asking about exhaust and it gets kind of annoying. Would everyone please submit information about exhaust components, pictures of installs, sound clips, other relavent threads just anything at all here. I will update the first post with all useful information and maybe we can get it as a sticky.

Thanks......

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U-bend delete
The factory installed a bend in the downpipe that looks like a "U" to protect the Oxygen sensor. This is the most restrictive point in the stock exhaust from the factory. If you do nothing else you need to remove this and replace it with straight pipe. You can reinstall the O2 sensor or get a spoof or have the code deleted. On some installations a catalyst efficiency code will set if the O2 sensor is not placed the correct distance from the catalyst media.

Stock u-bend cut off cat

Posted Image

U-bend replaced with straight pipe

Posted Image

Correct distance for the rear O2 sensor is 7" from the center of the sensor the the edge of the catalyst media (note this is NOT just from the end of the cat, the measurment is from the honeycomb material inside the cat to the center of the O2 sensor)

Posted Image

3" Downpipes

The DP is probably the 2nd most restrictive part of the exhaust and can net a few mpg and reduce boost stacking by it's replacement with a high flow piece.

A few vendors make 3" downpipes in many options (bolt in w/ or w/o cats, weld in shorty pipes, stainless, mild steel, interlocking flex, etc....) Most DP's from vendors are excellent quality and will perform well. Most versions use a flange and gasket like the stock setup and provide a good seal and trouble free service. A DP manufactured by R/T uses a donut gasket and spring bolts to retain is and keep a seal and allow for flex. This design is prone to leaking and gaskets wearing out as they flex. Usually I do not recommend an R/T pipe as most users are unhappy with the constant maint required to keep it sealed.

Below Stock DP compared to a 3" DP
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Catalytic converters

While we are on the subject of Downpipes lets discuss the catalytic converter. It's job is to transform harmful exhaust gases into not so harmful chemicals (to make it really simple). The stock catalytic converter is not as restrictive as most people have been led to believe. Here is a picture of a stock cat as compared to a "High flow" cat. Notice the surface area and honeycomb material are nearly identical. The "high flow" of the performance converter is due to it's slighty more refined design. Gains from a "high flow" converter are minimal at best. You are best to either leave the stock converter on or if the stock converter goes bad it is a good idea to upgrade to a high flow. Noise out the tail pipe and in the cabin may increase slightly with the use of a high flow cat. The amount of noise increase is pretty much dependent on the person and their level of tolerance. Removal of the converter is "illegal" in most locals although many have done it. All the un-catted vehicles I have been around gain alot of rasp in the exhaust (This does highly depend on other exhaust components) This is just my experience, others have claimed no increase in noise but usually these systems involve stock mufflers or other combinations of components to reduce noise.

Just for reference at the time of writing this I have 127k miles on my stock cat and have run 12.34 @ 110 mph in the 1/4

Posted Image

Resonators

Not the worst thing int he exhaust but they have a tendency to rot out at the seem and creat an annoying exhaust leak. Easy to replace with a straight pipe or my recommendation is a magnaflow 4" round straight through muffler in it's place.

Posted Image

Exhaust Options
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Single outlet

Stock 97.5-98 GS exhaust
These years had the god aweful side entrance mufflers. If you have this year you need to do something about the muffler and rear pipe after the suspension as soon as you can after taking care of the u-bend and DP. These years had an absolutely horrible design for mufflers
Posted Image

If you are skilled with a welder you can make an full mandrel bent exhaust using some tubing and prebent u-bends ordered from JEGs. It just takes some time and patience to get everything lined up and fitting correctly. But it can be done as I have made several systems now using this method (some came out better than others, but they work :lol: )

Below....2.5" home made system using prebent pipe cut and welded to fit
Posted ImagePosted Image

Below, my first attempt at a 3" system using pre-bent pipe. The 3" system has a Dynomax 3" IN/OUT Super turbo muffler and a Magnaflow 3" IN/OUT 6" diameter straight through muffler as a resonator

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

You will notice this system goes straight under the suspension instead of around it. This is usually fine for non-lowered cars and eliminates a bend but can become an issue if not done correctly and causes ground clearance issues or rubs on the underbody/suspension.

Posted Image

You will also notice the loss of ground clearance with the 6" round resonator. Although this resonator does quiet things down tremendously, it is large and a very tight fit. Once again fitment on install is critical to prevent and rubbing, banging, or clunking. I have had times were my resonator will hit speed bumps and I have a non lowered car.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

SLP used to have a single outlet exhaust. It was a tad bit loud for most so the addition of a resonator helped ALOT with drone issues. Here you will see on the left a modified SLP 2.5" system and on the right my first 3" setup again.

Posted Image

Hogan 3" cat back pipe

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Hogan 3" pipe next to stock GS pipe

Posted Image
Posted Image

Hogan 3" pipe with Magnaflow stainless mufflers and a Fast Toy tip

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

SOUND CLIP

Here's a clip of mine with Pacesetters, then full 3" exhaust with no cat or resonator and a gutted muffler. Yes it is this loud. Cutout is closed.

Hi All, I just recently completed my exhaust, It is now 2.5" from the cat back, completely Stainless with a Magnaflow straight through 5x8 oval muffler measuring 18" long. and a polished tip. I'll post pics later, but here is a sound clip. A quick spin reveals that it is loud upon acceleration, but quiets down considerably on cruising. This was around town, so the real test will be once I get it on the highway at 65/70/75mph.

Let me know what you think.
http://media.putfile.com/Magnaflow-exh

it takes a while to load.

Lemme know what you think.

3" DP
High flow cat
2.5" supercharger pulley
stock mufflers

There is some background traffic and wind. I'll try and get a better vid over the weekend. :)

My exhaust

---------------
Dual outlet

Thanks BlackGS for the info

Dual exhaust option - GM Performance Parts (GMPP) W-body Exhaust Package GM PART # 12498617

Posted Image

This kit is completely bolt-on and requires no welding. For a Regal, you will have to cut the rear bumper plastic on both sides to fit the tips. Custom plastic inserts are available on eBay to finish the bumper cuts (search for Regal inserts).

The kit is available from GMPP dealers including gmpartsdirect.com, and paceperformance.com.

To properly install the kit, a driver's side bracket for hanging the rear muffler is required. The GM part number is 10301946. This bracket can be purchased at any GM dealer, and usually costs less than $10.

For more information, see this thread

Posted Image

Sound clip (please ignore the clicking noises - the mic was too close!)
Posted Image

so what i need is the GM Performance Parts (GMPP) W-body Exhaust Package the The GM bracket and i dont have a dual exhaust so do i need to buy this too dual exhaust conversion kit 12498653?

NO, you DON'T need part number 12498653! That is a different bracket for a Monte Carlo or something. GM Parts Direct lists it as a "kit", but it is just a bracket. Look at the thread link in my previous post:
http://www.regalgs.o... ... sc&start=0
Go to page 2. There are pics of both brackets.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tips

Tips will also have an affect on the sound of your exhaust

Fast Toys tips
Posted Image

Ractive T820: Posted Image

***RegalWizzard's car***
These are chrome over polished stainless with 3" staggered exits
Link to tips on Ebay
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 Quick4A6

Quick4A6

Been through more than 1 Transmission

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:36 AM

Dave - Can I take this and add it to the Newbie guide with your permission?

#3 WildGS

WildGS

• Administrator
  • 4,433 posts
  • LocationChehalis, WA
  • First Name:
    David

Posted 04 January 2008 - 01:30 AM

Dave - Can I take this and add it to the Newbie guide with your permission?

Yup I have alot of work to do yet on it...

#4 4cfedspirit

4cfedspirit

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 January 2008 - 01:33 AM

well i see my first mod will either be a downpipe or u-bend delete!

#5 GSEJoe

GSEJoe

RGS.org VIP Server Upgrade supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationGrandville, Michigan
  • First Name:
    Joe

Posted 04 January 2008 - 03:29 AM

I think we need a sticky or a quick link to a page with exhaust videos/audio so people don't have to search so much. Yes, no?

#6 fastcarkid24

fastcarkid24

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 January 2008 - 03:49 AM

i know it is annoying but this post really helped me i was lost on what to do but cuz of your post i know so thanks alot

#7 Quick4A6

Quick4A6

Been through more than 1 Transmission

• Members
  • 2,855 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:01 AM

As always, I am willing to host it all. I will get this added to the guide. :)

#8 BlackGS

BlackGS

Contributing Member

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  • LocationTrenton, NJ
  • First Name:
    Bob

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:22 PM

Dual exhaust option - GM Performance Parts (GMPP) W-body Exhaust Package GM PART # 12498617

Posted Image

This kit is completely bolt-on and requires no welding. For a Regal, you will have to cut the rear bumper plastic on both sides to fit the tips. Custom plastic inserts are available on eBay to finish the bumper cuts (search for Regal inserts).

The kit is available from GMPP dealers including gmpartsdirect.com, and paceperformance.com.

To properly install the kit, a driver's side bracket for hanging the rear muffler is required. The GM part number is 10301946. This bracket can be purchased at any GM dealer, and usually costs less than $10.

For more information, see this thread

Posted Image

Sound clip (please ignore the clicking noises - the mic was too close!)
Posted Image

#9 99sleeper

99sleeper

Official RegalGS.org Flagship Car Owner

• Members
  • 3,070 posts
  • LocationNorwich, CT
  • First Name:
    Andrew

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:12 PM

That was going to be my input for this thread. That and there used to be this guy on here named Dave Wild who made awesome downpipes (looks very similar to the downpipe first pictured)...Not sure what happened to him though ;)

Thanks for doing this Dave...great idea for all the new guys coming on here.

Andrew

#10 WildGS

WildGS

• Administrator
  • 4,433 posts
  • LocationChehalis, WA
  • First Name:
    David

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:43 PM

Anyone have pics of the 97.5-98 side entrance muffler exhaust??

#11 zz2h33

zz2h33

Still plays with trains

• Administrator
  • 2,998 posts
  • LocationChicago
  • First Name:
    Ryan

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:10 PM

thanks dave

#12 BlackGS

BlackGS

Contributing Member

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  • LocationTrenton, NJ
  • First Name:
    Bob

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:47 PM

That was going to be my input for this thread.
Andrew

Sorry to take your input. :-( You hooked me up with that part number! :) I just thought it had to be mentioned with the exhaust, so someone wouldn't buy it with that other bracket like I did.

#13 fastcarkid24

fastcarkid24

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:20 PM

so what i need is the GM Performance Parts (GMPP) W-body Exhaust Package the The GM bracket and i dont have a dual exhaust so do i need to buy this too dual exhaust conversion kit 12498653?

#14 BlackGS

BlackGS

Contributing Member

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  • LocationTrenton, NJ
  • First Name:
    Bob

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:53 PM

NO, you DON'T need part number 12498653! That is a different bracket for a Monte Carlo or something. GM Parts Direct lists it as a "kit", but it is just a bracket. Look at the thread link in my previous post:
http://www.regalgs.o... ... sc&start=0
Go to page 2. There are pics of both brackets.

#15 GSmooth

GSmooth

Contributing Member

• Members
  • 1,490 posts
  • LocationMontreal Canada
  • First Name:
    Denis

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:23 PM

Here you go Dave I knew I seen it somewhere before in one of Ben's Posts. That pic inspired me into doing a catback exhaust lol

]Posted Image

#16 fastcarkid24

fastcarkid24

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:45 PM

so what i need is the GM Performance Parts (GMPP) W-body Exhaust Package the The GM bracket. and thats all

#17 GSmooth

GSmooth

Contributing Member

• Members
  • 1,490 posts
  • LocationMontreal Canada
  • First Name:
    Denis

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:05 PM

You will also need to cut out your rear bumper cover and buy a pair of Regal GSX bumper inserts to keep it all clean looking. They are found on Ebay or there is even set for sale in the Parts For Sale section of this forum.

http://cgi.ebay.com/... ... enameZWDVW

#18 fastcarkid24

fastcarkid24

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:07 PM

ok then thats all......and it all bolts on

#19 Grannyspssd

Grannyspssd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Locationusa!

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:39 PM

i would get some pics/ vids of my exhaust but i am completely embarrassed/pissed/stressed with it. the Hogan 3" catback. never ever will i buy thier product over this. i had to weld a 3" 3 bolt flange on to use it so now i feel like i wasted a 175 dollar DP. I have tried to get the exhaust to line up forever. it hangs so low i need new struts to help keep it from sagging to the point of scraping on my streets. also the muffler points down, mainly because its not lineing up but also because the cheap hanger they give won't stay on the rubber pieces, they always slide , they use the basic clamps that don't stay tight.

i frustrated over it just writing this.

#20 fastcarkid24

fastcarkid24

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:42 PM

are you talking about the one i am talking about

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BoHeGeHa Dark Blue 2.1.1 © Thomas Yugar (Chemical Chaos)
Official upgrade for IPB 2.3.x © Michael ( Dev Fuse )
3.X © Upgrade by Dumbledore ( Tppskinning )