Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  ejguillot : (15 November 2019 - 08:19 PM)

Anybody get on here anymore?

@  ejguillot : (01 November 2019 - 02:23 AM)

It should be possible, you might want to get a surplus connector so you can hook the fan motor to a battery.

@  Greg2000GS : (01 November 2019 - 01:58 AM)

cooling fan suspect. Is there a way to test it by jumping connector?

@  Fast86GN : (31 October 2019 - 01:23 PM)

I'm here....

@  ejguillot : (27 October 2019 - 01:39 PM)

Let's try to bring this forum back to life a bit... I'll be on fairly often (now that my project Regal is seeing some progress).

@  ejguillot : (27 October 2019 - 01:38 PM)

Let

@  ejguillot : (01 October 2019 - 02:44 AM)

And I will have a 1999 GS transmission, about 140K miles, shift kit installed, available for sale soon. in Tampa FL.

@  ejguillot : (01 October 2019 - 02:20 AM)

Hi everyone. Still working on my project car GS.

@  alemstrom : (24 September 2019 - 04:36 PM)

It runs!

@  Fast86GN : (10 September 2019 - 03:11 PM)

Saw a few on FB 3800 marketplace

@  BigSexxyGS : (16 August 2019 - 02:08 PM)

Im here. Looking for a trans for a 2003 GS...Help!

@  NKmssin3 : (05 August 2019 - 11:20 PM)

I check back in on occasion to.

@  Crazyguy03 : (07 July 2019 - 07:50 PM)

Yes

@  tpivette : (05 July 2019 - 02:47 AM)

I stop back every once in a while

@  ejguillot : (30 June 2019 - 08:36 PM)

Wow, is anyone on anymore? Leave a shoutbox comment please!

@  ejguillot : (10 June 2019 - 04:28 PM)

unfortunately, I have to agree.

@  buck531 : (09 June 2019 - 03:14 AM)

this place is dead.

@  buck531 : (09 June 2019 - 03:14 AM)

congrats Alan!

@  buck531 : (30 April 2019 - 02:14 PM)

DOH

@  ejguillot : (22 April 2019 - 10:40 PM)

I haven't. Still on here occasionally, Facebook is the work of Satan. :P

Photo
- - - - -

General Info: List of brake upgrades here:

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 ophidia31

ophidia31

I Know Regals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts
  • LocationNortheast PA
  • First Name:
    Gene

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:08 PM

All available upgrades for the front are:

The most popular is the standard 12" upgarde. This pretty much just uses the caliper mounting brackets from a monte carlo or impala and also the larger rotors off of an f-body, monte carlo or impala. Its a pretty simple upgrade just unbolting your stock bracket, slapping on the new bracket and rotor. the best bang for the buck when it comes to decreasing you stopping distance.

Fbody calipers and brackets are from a 98-02 camaro or trans am. v6 or v8 model makes no difference. you will need 12" rotors from the fbody, monte carlo or impala ss. The brackets will need to be tapped if you want to reuse your stock w-body mounting hardware. You can reuse the mounting bolts that come with the f-body brackets. You will need to pick up a spacers from mcmaster.com part# 6679K16. There are also complete setups available from wbodystore.com and zzperformance.com. Those companies also carry stock and extended length stainless brakes lines which I recommend for the upgrade.

Corvette calipers are also available from the 97+ corvettes. You must use the fbody caliper brackets and the procedure is the same. Only thing is some say that the calipers dont fit the stock 16" wheels but there are some members who have fit them using f-body pads and not those for a corvette. I believe thise is because the f-body pads are a hair thinner than those used for the corvette caliper.

On the subject of corvette calipers, there is also the possibility of a 3pot caliper setup using the SSBC Tripower calipers available as a stock replacement for the 97+ corvettes. The basis of this is that they fit the stock corvette caliper brackets. This way, if the stock corvette caliper fits the f-body caliper bracket then the SSBC Tripower caliper should fit the f-body caliper bracket. Hence, able to fit our cars. The downfall is, the calipers alone are $710 from jegs. Part# 884-A187

Another caliper that works is off of the new lucerne/monte carlo/impala. The downfall to these is that they are made of iron and pointless to be used as an upgrade. Isnt the idea to take weight off the car, especially unsprung weight?

Next is the GXP setup found a few years back available on the new 06+ Grand Prix and Bonneville. These are pretty hard to find used, but when you do, expect to pay a good price for them. They are a 2pot caliper setup with 12.7" rotors. I believe minimum wheel size is 17". There is complete writeup with part numbers here from vinniegtp: http://www.goclubgp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2944

There is also the Baer 2pot upgrade from PFYC.com. This includes the Eradispeed front rotors, Baer 2pot calipers, pads and front stainless lines only. They also have the option of adding in Decelarotors and pads for the rear but no stainless lines. The nice part of the Eradispeed+ rotors is theyre a 2 piece design with an aluminum hat to cut down on weight. These rotors are available by themselves from carshopinc.com for $444.40. Part# 2301006

There is now a 4piston setup available. It is still in the testing phase and should be ready for release by springs end '10. viewtopic.php?f=25&t=67584

Back to SSBC, they have another option found under the Pontiac Grand Prix that upgrades to a 2pot caliper, pads, and 13" rotor. The downside is that the minimum wheel size is an 18". These are $810 from jegs. Part# 884-A127-6

Also available is a 4pot 13" rotor setup. These are found under the Chevy Monte Carlo on their website. The minimum wheel size is 17" because the 4pot caliper hugs closer to the rotor due to the design. These are $1410 from jegs. Part#884-A127-1

Next is the rears. Not much out there available.

First is pretty much painting everything up, some better rotors and pads and call it a day.

Next is using the calipers from the alero/grand am. These are a pretty much direct bolt on except I believe you have to grind a little bit of the bracket to have i sit flush on the mounting surface. Nothing that wont take a few minutes to do. What your left with is a lighter caliper due to it being made of aluminum rather than stock iron. Here are a few links to CGP discussing it even further:
http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=3496409
http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=3753162
http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=3950132

SSBC also has a rear 12" vented rotor upgrade with new calipers. Only thing is it seems that it may use an parking brake setup that is in the caliper itself than in the rotor hat like the stock setup. I dont like that style setup as its going back in technology and history shows that leads to stuck caliper problems. So anyway, they say minimum wheel size is 17". These are $705 from jegs. Part# 884-A127-7

And lastly, is the Grand Prix GXP setup. This uses a 12" vented rotor with single piston caliper. The nice thing is it uses the parking brake is in the rotor hat so there is less chance of problems. Ive priced these out and, using standard Centric rotors, came out to around $650 using all new GM parts. Seems to be a little better than the SSBC and also cheaper. Not by much though. The parts for this can all be found in the same link as the front upgrade. http://www.goclubgp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2944 Note: Bonneville GXP rear setup doesnt work due to a different parking brake setup.

Hope this helps alot of the newbs and also some of the guys that have been here a while.

#2 MikeGS

MikeGS

RGS.org VIP Server Upgrade supporter

• Forum Moderator
  • 1,912 posts
  • LocationJust south of the Mason Dixon Line
  • First Name:
    Mike

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:32 PM

I have a feeling that this will probably be my next major (non engine/trans) related upgrade. I haven't seen the Corvette calipers with the 6-spoke wheels yet... makes me wonder if I'll have issues.

#3 WildGS

WildGS

Fastest FWD GS in the PNW

• Administrator
  • 4,433 posts
  • LocationChehalis, WA
  • First Name:
    David

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:43 PM

May want to note in the Corvette brakes that they are C5 brakes and that you use F-body brackets and pads. Nice job !!!

#4 ophidia31

ophidia31

I Know Regals

• Members
  • 1,572 posts
  • LocationNortheast PA
  • First Name:
    Gene

Posted 15 February 2008 - 11:17 PM

May want to note in the Corvette brakes that they are C5 brakes and that you use F-body brackets and pads. Nice job !!!

i did. 97+ vette, fbody brackets and pads. yep, all there. :lol:

#5 Alex346z

Alex346z

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationUS
  • First Name:
    Alex

Posted 15 February 2008 - 11:44 PM

Some 2000ish lumina's with the sport package(that look like the montecarlo) have a factory dual piston caliper in the front. How come nobody talks about this setup?

#6 MikeGS

MikeGS

• Forum Moderator
  • 1,912 posts
  • First Name:
    Mike

Posted 15 February 2008 - 11:47 PM

Is that with your factory 6-spokes (like mine) you have pictured in your sig Gene? How close are they?
Any pics?

#7 ophidia31

ophidia31

I Know Regals

• Members
  • 1,572 posts
  • LocationNortheast PA
  • First Name:
    Gene

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:03 AM

Some 2000ish lumina's with the sport package(that look like the montecarlo) have a factory dual piston caliper in the front. How come nobody talks about this setup?

do you know if theyre aluminum or iron? if theyre iron, thats probably why.

Is that with your factory 6-spokes (like mine) you have pictured in your sig Gene? How close are they?
Any pics?

the "i did" was just saying i said that i listed that, not an "i did" like i put them on my car. but if there is any discrepency, they should fit no problem. my friend (trishieldfan) has the chrome 9 spoke and my 6 spoke have more room in them it seems. ill try and get a good, but dirty, picture of the space of an f-body caliper in the 6 spoke tommorrow.

#8 wtf8269

wtf8269

Has to wait for 4krpm for his torque now.

• Forum Moderator
  • 5,891 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • First Name:
    Aaron

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:06 AM

Are the Bonneville GXP brakes identical to GP GXP brakes? If so you can get GXP rears for ~$150 if you don't mind getting a used set.

#9 RegalWizzard

RegalWizzard

RegalGS.org Innovator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationNorthCoast, USA
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:31 AM

Very informative write-up Gene! Nicely done!

#10 monte0

monte0

Contributing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts
  • LocationNY
  • First Name:
    Keith

Posted 16 February 2008 - 01:20 AM

nice writeup! One thing that be cool is their any write-ups on the rears from GrandAm's? thinking of doing these with the F-body fronts

#11 MikeGS

MikeGS

• Forum Moderator
  • 1,912 posts
  • First Name:
    Mike

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:03 AM

...the "i did" was just saying i said that i listed that, not an "i did" like i put them on my car. but if there is any discrepency, they should fit no problem. my friend (trishieldfan) has the chrome 9 spoke and my 6 spoke have more room in them it seems. ill try and get a good, but dirty, picture of the space of an f-body caliper in the 6 spoke tommorrow.

10-4
Thanks Gene, no need to take the pick of the F-body calipers. I was only interested in the Vette upgrade, (mainly for pedal feel). Good to hear you recall more room in our wheels though.

#12 ophidia31

ophidia31

I Know Regals

• Members
  • 1,572 posts
  • LocationNortheast PA
  • First Name:
    Gene

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:43 AM

Are the Bonneville GXP brakes identical to GP GXP brakes? If so you can get GXP rears for ~$150 if you don't mind getting a used set.

Fronts im pretty sure are the same except for the rotors arent crossdrilled or vise-versa. The rears are different I think. The bonnevilles may have the caliper and parking brake as one unit. and where can you get them for $150?! I cant find them at all let alone for that cheap.

nice writeup! One thing that be cool is their any write-ups on the rears from GrandAm's? thinking of doing these with the F-body fronts

CGP may have a writeup, but its pretty much a direct swap. Just that part of the mounting surface needs to get ground down. Surprising enough their search worked and found some links. I edited the OP and put them there.

#13 VinnieGTP

VinnieGTP

Been There. Done That.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM
  • First Name:
    Vinnie

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:07 AM

Bonne GXP is not going to work in the rear. THey use a different ebrake.

#14 >atm

>atm

Contributing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • First Name:
    Allen

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:41 AM

I'm not sure but i think I read on cgp that the lucerne's v8 front brakes are the same as the GP GXP's. So that may be another source for t~13"/two piston brakes, I will try to look into it to see if its true.

#15 ophidia31

ophidia31

I Know Regals

• Members
  • 1,572 posts
  • LocationNortheast PA
  • First Name:
    Gene

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:42 AM

Bonne GXP is not going to work in the rear. THey use a different ebrake.

thanks, thats what i thought. edited.

#16 wtf8269

wtf8269

Has to wait for 4krpm for his torque now.

• Forum Moderator
  • 5,891 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • First Name:
    Aaron

Posted 16 February 2008 - 05:38 AM

Fronts im pretty sure are the same except for the rotors arent crossdrilled or vise-versa. The rears are different I think. The bonnevilles may have the caliper and parking brake as one unit. and where can you get them for $150?! I cant find them at all let alone for that cheap.

Right Rear, Left Rear.

#17 monte0

monte0

Contributing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts
  • LocationNY
  • First Name:
    Keith

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:54 PM

thanks Gene! This should be made a sticky

#18 ophidia31

ophidia31

I Know Regals

• Members
  • 1,572 posts
  • LocationNortheast PA
  • First Name:
    Gene

Posted 16 February 2008 - 01:57 PM

Right Rear, Left Rear.

the bonneville ones wont work because of the parking brake setup.

#19 GSmooth

GSmooth

Contributing Member

• Members
  • 1,490 posts
  • LocationMontreal Canada
  • First Name:
    Denis

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:21 PM

Hey like to say great write up nice work ! Just one question Which rears can we use if we want to get our rotors as a package deal Bonneville's or Impala SS

#20 ophidia31

ophidia31

I Know Regals

• Members
  • 1,572 posts
  • LocationNortheast PA
  • First Name:
    Gene

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:26 PM

Hey like to say great write up nice work ! Just one question Which rears can we use if we want to get our rotors as a package deal Bonneville's or Impala SS

what size rotors in the front and what size rotors in the rear do you want?

13" in front is the bonne/gp gxp
12" in front is the basic upgrade from the monte/impala or use the f-body calipers in place of your stockers.

12" in the rear is only going to be either that SSBC crap setup or the GP GXP setup. Bonneville rears wont work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BoHeGeHa Dark Blue 2.1.1 © Thomas Yugar (Chemical Chaos)
Official upgrade for IPB 2.3.x © Michael ( Dev Fuse )
3.X © Upgrade by Dumbledore ( Tppskinning )