Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Donations are active for 2015 Operating cost, please help support the sites operation by clicking the donate button below
@  BlackBetty : (23 September 2014 - 06:02 AM) now just have to figure out hooking it up to the regal. do i need to buy another part or hire a shop?
@  BlackBetty : (23 September 2014 - 12:01 AM) got that 2004 GTP exhaust today for $60 at JY. Took no tools just had to unhook the hangers. Az cuts off cats apparently
@  patrick kay : (22 September 2014 - 11:37 PM) as long as you do acouple of light coats all should be well ...and no clear coat is really needed, plus it will yeloow over time
@  patrick kay : (22 September 2014 - 11:36 PM) when I did mine I bought a can of silver that was made to dissipate heat..
@  keithr182 : (21 September 2014 - 09:48 PM) I see lots of people with painted superchargers on here. Does painting it greatly affect the ability to dissipate heat? Google comes up with mixed results...
@  Nateteo : (21 September 2014 - 02:15 PM) So how's things down south of the border up here the leave are changing colour.
@  Tobias05 : (20 September 2014 - 03:55 AM) Loving my TEP transmission right now. 3.29 gears are very nice!
@  Marchi1 : (18 September 2014 - 10:57 AM) I broke one...but wasn't fully installed, but you knew that.
@  Nateteo : (18 September 2014 - 12:01 AM) Looped my power steering pump for winter and I think it might just work just need a reservoir that can hold the power steering fluid for the rack.
@  RegalTraveler : (17 September 2014 - 10:00 PM) Not me. not that I'm aware of. and L67 here. sooo... ignore this comment.
@  gojo83 : (17 September 2014 - 08:20 AM) who besides me has broke a l36 passenger side tq strut mount
@  orgedaddy : (17 September 2014 - 02:51 AM) I like my dynomax VT muffler, it has a valve to make it is sort of quiet at idle, gets loud when it opens. exhaust... 153 options if you ask 53 people.
@  RegalTraveler : (17 September 2014 - 02:25 AM) hrm. my 3yo muffler already has a hole rusted in it and it's loud at heck. Considering me being a cheapskate... any good suggestions on a quality (won't rust) muffler that has a nice sound to it? I'm more into quiet while idle and roaring while opening the throttle... but just quiet works fine too.
@  dcsipp : (15 September 2014 - 12:13 AM) Duh, wrong box
@  dcsipp : (15 September 2014 - 12:13 AM) coolant leak
@  orgedaddy : (14 September 2014 - 03:58 PM) Squeak while turning the steering wheel, I would suspect the strut mount bearing. This bearing lets the strut turn without winding up the spring.
@  FreshGS3800 : (14 September 2014 - 07:07 AM) Front driver side squeaks when I turn right. Im thinking wheel bearing. Any suggestions?
@  Frostflowz : (14 September 2014 - 01:05 AM) Stumped on my heated seats =/
@  Nateteo : (12 September 2014 - 09:41 PM) All I need is a more powerful motor.
@  TheSethDavis : (12 September 2014 - 08:18 PM) congrats nateteo

Photo
- - - - -

how much does a Tie Rod cost roughly, with labour??

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Paul_K999

Paul_K999

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:16 AM

How much does a Tie Rod cost roughly, with labour?

#2 Paul00GSE

Paul00GSE

Contributing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio
  • First Name:
    Paul

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:19 AM

I just had both my outer tie rods replaced. I got the moog tie rods which is a good brand and those were about $45 a piece, so with labor it cost me $180.

#3 2001GSREGAL

2001GSREGAL

Official RegalGS.org Badge vendor

• Forum Moderator
  • 1,285 posts
  • LocationChicago
  • First Name:
    Ray

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:22 AM

Don't forget the alignment, probably another $60-80

#4 Paul00GSE

Paul00GSE

Contributing Member

• Members
  • 1,385 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio
  • First Name:
    Paul

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:37 AM

Yea thats true I forgot to mention the alignment. I had an alignment done with that cost so I got a deal.

#5 Guest_GS Jon_*

Guest_GS Jon_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:45 AM

Outer tie rod ends are cake work, but since you got parts, labor and an alignment for that, I'd say that's a heck of a deal.

#6 Paul_K999

Paul_K999

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:45 PM

im also thinking of changing my whole front-end, not sure yet

#7 vital49

vital49

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:51 PM

You shouldn't need an alignment if the installer takes extra care to mark the threads on the tie rod. As long as the tie rod end is not installed past those marks you shouldn't need an alignment. I've gotten away without getting an alignment a few times when replacing tie rod ends.

#8 Svarog98LS

Svarog98LS

All the Basic Mods

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:02 AM

You shouldn't need an alignment if the installer takes extra care to mark the threads on the tie rod. As long as the tie rod end is not installed past those marks you shouldn't need an alignment. I've gotten away without getting an alignment a few times when replacing tie rod ends.

you're 100% correct!...I've replaced alot of outer tie-rod ends and a few inner-tie rods and never had to do the alignment, all cars go strait like arrows (just like you said tho, to skrew the new tie-rods the same way/distance as the old rods , usually counting/marking threads and/or measuring distances)....the "OUTer" tie-rod end is childs-play, the "INNER" tie-rod is something else....I think at a typical mechanic shop, the labor alone for the inner tie-rod is probably $150 or more .... I made my life easy cause I bought a tool made to remove inner tie-rods....

-The inner tie rod is connected to the rack-pinion covered by the "boot"....when unskrewing the inner tierod, the pinion piston that the rod is skrewed to has to be supported & locked by a wrench so it doesn't spin with the tie-rod (if the piston spins I think that will demage the rack&pinion and you will need a new one)...either way if you have access to the inner tie rod, chances are a regular wrench is too thick to fit into the keyways so you'll have to file it down to 1/4''think, and you'll need 2 of those filed wrenched, one for the pinion piston and the other for the inner tie-rod. I measured the key-ways with a caliper to know which wrench to file.

For me replacing the INNER tie-rod is a easy job except time consuming, some cars are easier than others simply because of how much access there is to the inner tie-rod & pinion.

BTW the inner tierod is just another balljoint.

#9 Hellfish

Hellfish

I Know Regals

• Members
  • 1,550 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:55 AM

i did it myself for like 50 bux with TRW ends.

when i took it in for an alignment i was also almost dead on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BoHeGeHa Dark Blue 2.1.1 © Thomas Yugar (Chemical Chaos)
Official upgrade for IPB 2.3.x © Michael ( Dev Fuse )
3.X © Upgrade by Dumbledore ( Tppskinning )