Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Marchi1 : (18 September 2014 - 10:57 AM) I broke one...but wasn't fully installed, but you knew that.
@  Nateteo : (18 September 2014 - 12:01 AM) Looped my power steering pump for winter and I think it might just work just need a reservoir that can hold the power steering fluid for the rack.
@  RegalTraveler : (17 September 2014 - 10:00 PM) Not me. not that I'm aware of. and L67 here. sooo... ignore this comment.
@  gojo83 : (17 September 2014 - 08:20 AM) who besides me has broke a l36 passenger side tq strut mount
@  orgedaddy : (17 September 2014 - 02:51 AM) I like my dynomax VT muffler, it has a valve to make it is sort of quiet at idle, gets loud when it opens. exhaust... 153 options if you ask 53 people.
@  RegalTraveler : (17 September 2014 - 02:25 AM) hrm. my 3yo muffler already has a hole rusted in it and it's loud at heck. Considering me being a cheapskate... any good suggestions on a quality (won't rust) muffler that has a nice sound to it? I'm more into quiet while idle and roaring while opening the throttle... but just quiet works fine too.
@  dcsipp : (15 September 2014 - 12:13 AM) Duh, wrong box
@  dcsipp : (15 September 2014 - 12:13 AM) coolant leak
@  orgedaddy : (14 September 2014 - 03:58 PM) Squeak while turning the steering wheel, I would suspect the strut mount bearing. This bearing lets the strut turn without winding up the spring.
@  FreshGS3800 : (14 September 2014 - 07:07 AM) Front driver side squeaks when I turn right. Im thinking wheel bearing. Any suggestions?
@  Frostflowz : (14 September 2014 - 01:05 AM) Stumped on my heated seats =/
@  Nateteo : (12 September 2014 - 09:41 PM) All I need is a more powerful motor.
@  TheSethDavis : (12 September 2014 - 08:18 PM) congrats nateteo
@  BlackBetty : (12 September 2014 - 08:08 AM) ty will do
@  patrick kay : (12 September 2014 - 06:28 AM) get one of those and cut after the flange so you can take your time and undo the rusty bolts at home
@  patrick kay : (12 September 2014 - 06:27 AM) http://i.ebayimg.com...RT2!~~60_35.JPG
@  BlackBetty : (12 September 2014 - 04:40 AM) I want to go to the JY for a GTP Catback. Does anyone know what tools I will need to remove it?
@  Nateteo : (11 September 2014 - 11:11 PM) As of now my century has a fully functioning regal ls gauge cluster with working dic. now I have to make a DIY swap thingy. Win!
@  Nateteo : (11 September 2014 - 10:51 PM) As my century has a fully functioning regal ls gauge cluster wic working dic and all any now I have to make a DIY swap what not thingy. Win!
@  cryptnix : (11 September 2014 - 02:26 PM) Should be fixed for the most part Dave, thanks for your patience, along w/ the rest of the members.

Photo
- - - - -

Brake fluid: can synthetic and regular mix?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RegalBM

RegalBM

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
  • First Name:
    Bing

Posted 21 May 2008 - 11:49 PM

I went to Autozone this afternoon trying to buy some regular DOT-3 brake fluid, but surprisingly saw a lot of synthetic fluid, like Prestone and Valvoline, and the regular was rare. The guy at AZ said synthetic is compatible with regular and they can mix. I remember I once read an article on the web saying, once the synthetic fluid is used, it may not be possible to change back to regular any more. Any comments?

Thanks.

#2 Scimmia

Scimmia

Contributing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationDavenport, IA

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:18 AM

There is no such thing as non-synthetic brake fluid. Some companies use "Synthetic" for marketing, some don't, but it doesn't matter either way.

#3 attist178

attist178

Contributing Member

• Members
  • 1,941 posts
  • LocationBloomington, MN
  • First Name:
    Timmaah

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:44 AM

I'm too tired to explain "synthetic" brake fluids...it's complicated and it has big words...lol.

But no, don't mix them. And don't listen to parts store guys...the majority of them have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

A good rule of thumb: Don't mix stuff with different names.

#4 Scimmia

Scimmia

Contributing Member

• Members
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationDavenport, IA

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:30 PM

I'm too tired to explain "synthetic" brake fluids...it's complicated and it has big words...lol.

But no, don't mix them.

I'd be VERY interested in hearing the explaination, or atleast getting a reference. This is contrary to everything that I've found about brake fluid. Polyethylene Glycol is by it's very nature synthetic, so there is no brake fluid out there that's not synthetic.

Unless you were thinking of DOT5 (silicon) fluid vs DOT3/4, which isn't what we're talking about here.

#5 RegalBM

RegalBM

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
  • First Name:
    Bing

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:28 PM

OK, can I do this as a bottomline? Pump the old brake fluid out from the master cylinder reservoir and then put the synthetic fluid in. Since can't get all the old fluid completely out from the brake system, there will still be some mix but it seems to me it should be much better. Would this be fine?

#6 oakleafresin

oakleafresin

I Know Regals

• Members
  • 1,598 posts
  • LocationShelby Township MI
  • First Name:
    Chris

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:47 PM

For what its worth, I flushed my brake lines out last year with "Synthetic" Prestone fluid from Autozone and I havent had a single problem stopping. I used a Mitty Vac. I took as much of the old crap out of the master cylinder as I could and refilled it with the Prestone. Then I bled each caliper till clear(ish) fluid came out.

A couple weeks ago I rebled them using this process and the fluid looked opaque and dark brown (rather than black/green) almost like rust. I dont know wtf the deal was with that but the car is still stopping great lol. Im sure dark brown is a normal color though. Would probably turn green eventually.

#7 Scimmia

Scimmia

Contributing Member

• Members
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationDavenport, IA

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:55 PM

OK, can I do this as a bottomline? Pump the old brake fluid out from the master cylinder reservoir and then put the synthetic fluid in. Since can't get all the old fluid completely out from the brake system, there will still be some mix but it seems to me it should be much better. Would this be fine?

Bottom line is that all DOT3/4/5.1 fluids are compatible, and all synthetic. As long as you don't get DOT5, you're fine. I'm guessing that attist178 was confusing synthetic with silicon.

#8 Dusty

Dusty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationRocket City, AL

Posted 23 May 2008 - 05:05 PM

+1 on mixing DOT 3/4/5.1 Just say away from DOT 5 silicone
If you have not flushed the fluid recently I would just get a big bottle of Dot 3 or 4 synthetic and change out the fluid. Easy to do with a helper to push the brake pedal.

#9 RegalBM

RegalBM

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
  • First Name:
    Bing

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:33 AM

I hope this is the ultimate answer...I got a chance to talk with a good friend of mine today, who holds a chemistry PhD and is a technical team leader in the R&D department of Valvoline. He said no problem to mix the synthetic with the regular ones (I am not going to elaborate his explanation here).

Just wanted to post this fyi and hope it helps.

#10 Guest_LSChris_*

Guest_LSChris_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:16 AM

^^X2
DOT 5 silicone fluid is not compatible with conventional brake fluids and they will seperate over time if mixed. DOT 5 silicone brake fluid can't be used in systems with ABS because the action of the ABS unit will induce air into the system.

#11 RegalBM

RegalBM

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
  • First Name:
    Bing

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:11 PM

^^X2
DOT 5 silicone fluid is not compatible with conventional brake fluids and they will seperate over time if mixed. DOT 5 silicone brake fluid can't be used in systems with ABS because the action of the ABS unit will induce air into the system.

Yes, my friend meant DOT-3/4/5.1 and no mix with DOT-5.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BoHeGeHa Dark Blue 2.1.1 © Thomas Yugar (Chemical Chaos)
Official upgrade for IPB 2.3.x © Michael ( Dev Fuse )
3.X © Upgrade by Dumbledore ( Tppskinning )