Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Immortaly Co... : (25 April 2014 - 04:01 AM) hey Levon. you see my post yet?
@  2001GSREGAL : (24 April 2014 - 03:05 AM) Rays badges are coming back!
@  Suede : (23 April 2014 - 02:23 AM) Lol.. When turning the wheel or when you go up and down?
@  92gran_sport : (22 April 2014 - 04:45 PM) getting that binding/creaking from those macpherson struts
@  Crazyguy03 : (22 April 2014 - 03:13 AM) im home!
@  99RegalClone : (22 April 2014 - 01:59 AM) lol
@  Loly : (22 April 2014 - 01:39 AM) Bob (Crazyguy03)... answer your phone!!! That (613) area code Logo Central.... it's moi! LOL!
@  buck531 : (22 April 2014 - 12:06 AM) posting a neck breaking vid now.. fyi
@  steveyjr1982 : (21 April 2014 - 11:30 PM) Does wonders
@  steveyjr1982 : (21 April 2014 - 11:30 PM) www.google.com
@  steveyjr1982 : (21 April 2014 - 11:11 PM) Lower springseat bearing?
@  92gran_sport : (21 April 2014 - 06:04 PM) curse the lower springseat bearings!!!!lol
@  Crazyguy03 : (20 April 2014 - 04:21 PM) Justin's Stag is Friday April 25th from 8-11+ Contact me for tickets!! :orcs-cheers:
@  keithr182 : (20 April 2014 - 04:52 AM) nevermind... found it.
@  keithr182 : (20 April 2014 - 03:37 AM) Going crazy here... I saw someone post that they made a custom badge for the GSX/LSX style grill, and they used letters from a Grand Prix to make the "GS"... Anyone have a link to that thread? I can't find it for the life of me.
@  M_Dogg : (19 April 2014 - 12:49 PM) yep...
@  Bad Attitude : (19 April 2014 - 10:46 AM) PERFECT! Mine are getting kinda bad.
@  glendayle : (19 April 2014 - 04:43 AM) GM dealership. Part # 10262701
@  Bad Attitude : (18 April 2014 - 10:28 PM) Where do we get new trailing arm brackets from?
@  jawdog : (18 April 2014 - 08:23 PM) No need to worry. You don't need an exploit to read the traffic, it's not encrytped anyways....lol

Photo
- - - - -

Brake fluid: can synthetic and regular mix?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RegalBM

RegalBM

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
  • First Name:
    Bing

Posted 21 May 2008 - 11:49 PM

I went to Autozone this afternoon trying to buy some regular DOT-3 brake fluid, but surprisingly saw a lot of synthetic fluid, like Prestone and Valvoline, and the regular was rare. The guy at AZ said synthetic is compatible with regular and they can mix. I remember I once read an article on the web saying, once the synthetic fluid is used, it may not be possible to change back to regular any more. Any comments?

Thanks.

#2 Scimmia

Scimmia

Contributing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1691 posts
  • LocationDavenport, IA

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:18 AM

There is no such thing as non-synthetic brake fluid. Some companies use "Synthetic" for marketing, some don't, but it doesn't matter either way.

#3 attist178

attist178

Contributing Member

• Members
  • 1941 posts
  • LocationBloomington, MN
  • First Name:
    Timmaah

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:44 AM

I'm too tired to explain "synthetic" brake fluids...it's complicated and it has big words...lol.

But no, don't mix them. And don't listen to parts store guys...the majority of them have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

A good rule of thumb: Don't mix stuff with different names.

#4 Scimmia

Scimmia

Contributing Member

• Members
  • 1691 posts
  • LocationDavenport, IA

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:30 PM

I'm too tired to explain "synthetic" brake fluids...it's complicated and it has big words...lol.

But no, don't mix them.

I'd be VERY interested in hearing the explaination, or atleast getting a reference. This is contrary to everything that I've found about brake fluid. Polyethylene Glycol is by it's very nature synthetic, so there is no brake fluid out there that's not synthetic.

Unless you were thinking of DOT5 (silicon) fluid vs DOT3/4, which isn't what we're talking about here.

#5 RegalBM

RegalBM

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
  • First Name:
    Bing

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:28 PM

OK, can I do this as a bottomline? Pump the old brake fluid out from the master cylinder reservoir and then put the synthetic fluid in. Since can't get all the old fluid completely out from the brake system, there will still be some mix but it seems to me it should be much better. Would this be fine?

#6 oakleafresin

oakleafresin

I Know Regals

• Members
  • 1598 posts
  • LocationShelby Township MI
  • First Name:
    Chris

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:47 PM

For what its worth, I flushed my brake lines out last year with "Synthetic" Prestone fluid from Autozone and I havent had a single problem stopping. I used a Mitty Vac. I took as much of the old crap out of the master cylinder as I could and refilled it with the Prestone. Then I bled each caliper till clear(ish) fluid came out.

A couple weeks ago I rebled them using this process and the fluid looked opaque and dark brown (rather than black/green) almost like rust. I dont know wtf the deal was with that but the car is still stopping great lol. Im sure dark brown is a normal color though. Would probably turn green eventually.

#7 Scimmia

Scimmia

Contributing Member

• Members
  • 1691 posts
  • LocationDavenport, IA

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:55 PM

OK, can I do this as a bottomline? Pump the old brake fluid out from the master cylinder reservoir and then put the synthetic fluid in. Since can't get all the old fluid completely out from the brake system, there will still be some mix but it seems to me it should be much better. Would this be fine?

Bottom line is that all DOT3/4/5.1 fluids are compatible, and all synthetic. As long as you don't get DOT5, you're fine. I'm guessing that attist178 was confusing synthetic with silicon.

#8 Dusty

Dusty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 05:05 PM

+1 on mixing DOT 3/4/5.1 Just say away from DOT 5 silicone
If you have not flushed the fluid recently I would just get a big bottle of Dot 3 or 4 synthetic and change out the fluid. Easy to do with a helper to push the brake pedal.

#9 RegalBM

RegalBM

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
  • First Name:
    Bing

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:33 AM

I hope this is the ultimate answer...I got a chance to talk with a good friend of mine today, who holds a chemistry PhD and is a technical team leader in the R&D department of Valvoline. He said no problem to mix the synthetic with the regular ones (I am not going to elaborate his explanation here).

Just wanted to post this fyi and hope it helps.

#10 Guest_LSChris_*

Guest_LSChris_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:16 AM

^^X2
DOT 5 silicone fluid is not compatible with conventional brake fluids and they will seperate over time if mixed. DOT 5 silicone brake fluid can't be used in systems with ABS because the action of the ABS unit will induce air into the system.

#11 RegalBM

RegalBM

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
  • First Name:
    Bing

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:11 PM

^^X2
DOT 5 silicone fluid is not compatible with conventional brake fluids and they will seperate over time if mixed. DOT 5 silicone brake fluid can't be used in systems with ABS because the action of the ABS unit will induce air into the system.

Yes, my friend meant DOT-3/4/5.1 and no mix with DOT-5.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BoHeGeHa Dark Blue 2.1.1 © Thomas Yugar (Chemical Chaos)
Official upgrade for IPB 2.3.x © Michael ( Dev Fuse )
3.X © Upgrade by Dumbledore ( Tppskinning )