Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  ejguillot : (20 October 2020 - 03:32 PM)

Well, welcome back!

@  Marchi1 : (13 October 2020 - 11:58 PM)

Holy Crap I got in...finally remembered my login

@  dezldave961 : (08 October 2020 - 02:13 PM)

:peeks around the corner:

@  ejguillot : (06 October 2020 - 01:41 PM)

Glad to hear there are still lurkers around.

@  buck531 : (05 October 2020 - 12:15 AM)

sup turd buckets?

@  de.regal : (04 October 2020 - 10:50 PM)

Still lurk every day

@  tpivette : (03 October 2020 - 02:32 AM)

Sucks these forums are as vacant as they are... oh well, there's still the faithful like us!

@  kevandkaye : (27 September 2020 - 02:40 AM)

Yet still, we lurk. :o

@  ejguillot : (27 September 2020 - 01:08 AM)

Yeah, Facebook took over and killed forums.

@  dezldave961 : (26 September 2020 - 03:24 AM)

Ya, most of the original wave of active members have changed vehicles to something (probably) less mod-friendly, with the occasional person in an LS or Hemi that they do some bolt-ons to. Kinda sad that forums faded.

@  ejguillot : (23 September 2020 - 09:02 PM)

Finally updated my signature to match my current Buick.

@  ejguillot : (10 September 2020 - 03:20 AM)

Things are terminally quiet around here...

@  sky72lark : (07 August 2020 - 12:38 AM)

:orcs-buttshake:

@  dezldave961 : (29 July 2020 - 04:06 AM)

Just became a moderator on 3800Pro, so that's fun. I know it's gone thru a couple hands since Intense got sold, then that guy sold the forum. Not sure what that'll help, but it's something.

@  ejguillot : (26 July 2020 - 02:47 AM)

Glad to hear it. Would be a tragedy for us remaining owners to lose the knowledge in these forums.

@  dezldave961 : (12 July 2020 - 01:55 AM)

Hosted a buddy and his family for cookout... Ya, not alot on forums lately. Just keeping the lights on.

@  ejguillot : (08 July 2020 - 03:16 AM)

Everyone have a good 4th? This place is a ghost town...

@  ejguillot : (10 May 2020 - 10:43 PM)

Sweet!

@  dezldave961 : (07 May 2020 - 04:14 PM)

Got bored and started making build video...

@  dezldave961 : (04 May 2020 - 04:05 AM)

I need to hunt down the little black trim bar that's at the top edge of the GS rocker panel cover, for driver's side between rear door and wheel well.

Photo
- - - - -

Screwed by Customs, and a "Misinformed Member.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TamrocGS

TamrocGS

Contributing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:07 PM

So, I recently purchased a used plog. The transaction was my first on this board, and while I didn't get stiffed by anyone necessarily on purpose, I definitely learned a lesson.

I made this thread because I believe it is important to get this message of caution across to anyone cross border trading. Be sure to know that the seller of the product has some knowledge when it comes to shipping between Canada and the U.S. I made this mistake, and ended up paying nearly $300 of my tight student budget on a USED SS Plog.

I paid $150 +$20 USD shipping. In Canadian thats 219, and then when the seller sold it to me, I figured he write it under $100 before he shipped it. Instead he wrote $150USD and I paid $70.00 to get it from UPS. (tax and brokerage on anything over $100). And then, after I inquired as to what he entered the price as, I received a biligerent PM telling me that I never asked HIM TO LIE TO CUSTOMS, and if I did, he would get in trouble, etc....No apoligy, just a reply that you'd expect from, say, a 16 year old.

When i asked for a positive feedback thread(I might as well get something else out of this purchase, seeing how it was my first), I got a message rambling on about how Canadians pay that border tax because we have free health care....nothing to do with the problem.

My mistake for thinking that people learn about taxation and trade in HighSchool....or atleast COLLEGE.

I paid $290 for a USED exhaust piece when I could have bought it new up here for less.

I guess I can blame the government too, because they don't seem worry about all the Chinese garbage that pours onto our department store shelves, yet heaven forbid that there's a used exchange between two people living in economically welded nations.

So lesson is, Buyer BEWARE, especially of how informed the seller is. Always check with the seller before they ship it.

Regards, Corrie.

#2 MR.gs

MR.gs

RGS.org VIP Server Upgrade supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Locationmontreal,canada
  • First Name:
    fred

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:27 PM

ahhhhhhhhhhh, the joy of ;

United
Poor
Service :lol:

of course if you lower value to save , if they loose it ,,, your screwed !

next time , do the customs and broekage fees by yourself
you can request it and save a bundle

and , another thing is , deal with USMail when possible
lot less tasty for fees ...

sorry for you bad adventure bro
fred

#3 68GS

68GS

Contributing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:36 PM

Well, I sympathize with you over the fees you guys get stuck with up in Canada, but... I believe that since you are the one receiving products purchased from the U.S., you are the one who should be informed and knowledgeable regarding what fees/border charges the carrier might try to collect from you upon receipt. As a seller in the U.S., we have no idea or source of info to tell us what will happen on your end of the transaction. I HAVE learned some tricks thru a few sales into Canada, but it's a fact that you are the one who needs to investigate your options. UPS is my preferred shipping in most cases, but I've learned that they are the worst at screwing you over on your side of the border. The post office is cheapest, but the least secure, and doesn't trace easily, if at all.

Your purchase price at $150 was a good deal. It's unfortunate the border issues jacked your final bill so high. Not taking a jab at you in any way, but I think it's much more your responsibility to investigate and determine what your costs will be. If I order something in from Canada, I don't have a UPS driver trying to collect extra money from me. I don't know why/how that is acceptable in Canada.

#4 gmoney

gmoney

• Forum Moderator
  • 2,819 posts
  • LocationBuffalo NY
  • First Name:
    Erik

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:48 PM

Well, I sympathize with you over the fees you guys get stuck with up in Canada, but... I believe that since you are the one receiving products purchased from the U.S., you are the one who should be informed and knowledgeable regarding what fees/border charges the carrier might try to collect from you upon receipt. As a seller in the U.S., we have no idea or source of info to tell us what will happen on your end of the transaction. I HAVE learned some tricks thru a few sales into Canada, but it's a fact that you are the one who needs to investigate your options. UPS is my preferred shipping in most cases, but I've learned that they are the worst at screwing you over on your side of the border. The post office is cheapest, but the least secure, and doesn't trace easily, if at all.

Your purchase price at $150 was a good deal. It's unfortunate the border issues jacked your final bill so high. Not taking a jab at you in any way, but I think it's much more your responsibility to investigate and determine what your costs will be. If I order something in from Canada, I don't have a UPS driver trying to collect extra money from me. I don't know why/how that is acceptable in Canada.

glad you did me the favor of typing it out for me.

#5 TamrocGS

TamrocGS

Contributing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:27 PM

I knew about the brokerage and taxes. Like I said it was my fault for assuming the sell would already know this. It was also my fault for assuming he would actually be mature about the situation.

#6 Tonys96riv

Tonys96riv

Contributing Member

• Members
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationSt. Augustine Florida
  • First Name:
    Anthony

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:16 AM

Strange...I don't remember what i sold , but i sold something to someone on here , and they were in canada , and i just sent it vie flat rate box and there was nothing even questioned about that sort of thing....

Sorry to hear it though.

#7 Citan

Citan

Contributing Member

• Members
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationL.A. CA
  • First Name:
    Ryan

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:52 AM

well damn that sucks

never bought/sold anything from/to Canuckia, and on that note as I've never dealt with it.. I've NEVER heard of the crazy charges you mentioned, that's nuts they charge that much.. I know I wouldn't expect myself to know about those charges.. if the guy that sold the part to you knew of them.. then hopefully he DIDNT realize that you weren't expecting those charges..

on a 2000 dollar deal I could see that kind of fee perhaps, but a $150 claim? heck no.. eff UPS...

I've been shipping usps on all my shipments recently..

Take care..

#8 68GS

68GS

Contributing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:47 PM

I knew about the brokerage and taxes. Like I said it was my fault for assuming the sell would already know this. It was also my fault for assuming he would actually be mature about the situation.

The deal is, most of us in the U.S. very seldom sell and ship any stuff into Canada. There's no real reason any of us would or should know what charges you might get hit with upon delivery up north. Like I said, that simply does NOT happen in the states, that I've ever heard of anyway. And if you're buying from an established company that does cross-border business regularly, odds are THEY would account for border costs in what they charge you for your purchase. In private sales, that's not the case.

I sold an extremely rare NOS 68 GS hood scoop to a guy up in BC earlier this winter. It was expensive and could not be replaced. He and I agreed to use UPS to ensure good tracking and insurance options. I packed it to be totally damage proof, believe me. UPS fees up front were about $30 IIRC. I filled out all the required paperwork here, or our UPS driver wouldn't even touch any packages. Upon delivery, UPS demanded an additional $50 from him before they'd even unload the box. He knew they'd want SOMETHING, but he about blew a gasket at their charges, and complained to me that I didn't do border paperwork to reduce the fees. On the contrary, I was REQUIRED to do so by our UPS pickup driver. So I really don't understand how this crap happens up there.

I hoarded parts for about 6 months for a guy from Ontario, who had his U.S. sellers ship them to me, and I held them until he came thru with a trailer and picked up a huge pile of stuff from me. Sounded like he was saving hundreds of dollars in border fees, plus most of those sellers refused to ship into Canada.

#9 rubberhead

rubberhead

Contributing Member

• Members
  • 2,084 posts
  • LocationOshawa
  • First Name:
    Jim

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:47 PM

use the U.S. postal service wherever possible. its quickest and cheapest.

for used auto parts, it does help to put a lower value on them to reduce our sales tax that is collected on just about everything but prostitution and recreational drugs up here.

sorry it happened that way for ya tamroc, better luck next time.

#10 GSjason

GSjason

Been There. Done That.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:14 PM

You want it under $20 to avoid UPS fees. Here's the price list http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shippi ... rance.html

I prefer UPS, but if the seller won't put the value under $20 I use USPS with tracking. I've used Fed Ex 3 times, twice for headers with no brokerage and once for a pair of tweeters and they charged me a $40 brokerage fee. Figure that one out.

#11 HEAVYKEVY

HEAVYKEVY

600+HP...finally made 11's!

• Forum Moderator
  • 8,345 posts
  • LocationWheaton IL
  • First Name:
    Kevin

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:15 PM

:doh:

i can see both sides of the parties involved, i've had it once where I forgot to put down the "correct" numbers for shipping to canada and luckily it was a cheap item and the buyer didnt pay much more than normal.... but otherwise ya, as a pretty frequent seller on ebay i wont even ship to canada just because its a PITA, but otherwise on the boards i'll ship to canada but as the buyer i think its the sellers job to let the person know no matter how much they sell/ship items to make sure everything is correct before its shipped out. If that means it takes 2 weeks to ship something so be it... On the other hand, LOL @ the free health care thing, thats hysterical... but yea, both parties could have cooperrated more

eh, live and learn... shouldn't have dropped 150+ on a SS p-log thought man... should sell your other exhaust setup to offset the cost of headers which would be right there when you figure 300 - 150 for d/p and 150 for the p-log

#12 etb4u

etb4u

Been There. Done That.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • First Name:
    Brian

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:24 PM

I ship stuff to Canada with the company I work for. Good ole NAFTA regulations. Basically if you're shipping a part, write up an invoice with the value as a dollar, and in description put what the part is and label it as a return. USPS will be the same way, you still have to pay import taxes on items above a certaint cost. They just don't have the brokerage fees UPS does.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BoHeGeHa Dark Blue 2.1.1 © Thomas Yugar (Chemical Chaos)
Official upgrade for IPB 2.3.x © Michael ( Dev Fuse )
3.X © Upgrade by Dumbledore ( Tppskinning )