Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Buick1539 : (21 August 2014 - 07:55 PM) hey whose the guy with the white gs with the white 93 bonneville rims i want to show my dad the car because i want the same rims
@  Frostflowz : (21 August 2014 - 07:18 PM) Any 99-07 with a 6.0. So 2500's mostly
@  RoadMonster : (21 August 2014 - 11:22 AM) what year GM trucks had the LQ4 maf? I think I need to replace mine
@  Crazyguy03 : (20 August 2014 - 09:50 PM) I wanted to see how his build was going. He pays close attention to detail and reading his progress threads/posts were intriguing to say the least
@  Crazyguy03 : (20 August 2014 - 09:48 PM) Thanks Marchi1
@  Marchi1 : (20 August 2014 - 12:51 PM) Anthony is a little off on his own, and rarely posts anything anymore
@  Nateteo : (19 August 2014 - 11:01 PM) Any one know if 06 or 08 charger rims with fit our cars? Like Mitchell says the bold patterns are the same.
@  Crazyguy03 : (19 August 2014 - 05:07 AM) Any one still talk to Hellfish?
@  Naminator : (19 August 2014 - 04:38 AM) That the same everywhere. I saw some Lime green Lambourghini aventador crowding traffic, cutting in and out of lanes on a packed 4 lane highway today. The kind thats stops suddenly for no reason. Gonna kill someone I bet.
@  steveyjr1982 : (19 August 2014 - 02:47 AM) Nope, every day I get closer and closer to having an accident because of the people around here
@  BlackBetty : (19 August 2014 - 02:07 AM) well i know im new, willing to put in the work n such, so i hope that moron comment wasnt directed at me for trying to save money
@  steveyjr1982 : (19 August 2014 - 12:05 AM) Why, oh why are there so many morons in this world?
@  BlackBetty : (18 August 2014 - 07:56 PM) yea i have been looking at summit for the intake pipe ideas. and aluminum should work in the desert for $120 vs $195.. just need to select a muffler now :-)
@  Frostflowz : (18 August 2014 - 06:43 PM) Just paint it
@  keithr182 : (18 August 2014 - 06:16 PM) @blackbetty, I purchased the 304 stainless for sure. Alum wouldn't last more than a few winters here in Canada.
@  Marchi1 : (18 August 2014 - 04:52 PM) a friend ordered the prebent pieces from either Summit or Jegs that were polished and then shortened them accordingly.
@  BlackBetty : (18 August 2014 - 11:18 AM) whats a good length then? i was just seeing 1 foot pipes when looking around
@  Marchi1 : (18 August 2014 - 11:14 AM) 22.5
@  BlackBetty : (18 August 2014 - 11:03 AM) what is a good degree of bend off the throttle body? for a pipe for the cone air filter. 45 degrees?
@  gojo83 : (18 August 2014 - 10:57 AM) oh ok

Photo
- - - - -

91 octane vs 94 octane (10% ethanol)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Margarito

Margarito

Been There. Done That.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:09 AM

Guys, what octane does the Series II 3800 engine like more?

I notice my car has much better fuel consumption with the 91 octane Shell V-Power which is pure gasoline and whatnot, car seems to run a little smoother maybe.

However, it seems to me, I have more explosive power with the 94 octane with 10% ethanol added, I am not 100% sure though.

I have a few questions.

Ethanol... what's the deal with ethanol, it's not 'good' for the engine is it? I know it has a high octane rating but other than that, is it possibly harmful?

I remember reading on GP forum of a guy who said he will never put any gas mixed with ethanol like Sunoco or Petro Canada do with their 94 octane, and he would rather run 91 octane with no ethanol.

Any ideas guys?

I'm still not sure what gas to use longterm... Shell V power 91 or Petro Canada 94.

Would going WOT on the highway with each gas, and seeing how many lbs of boost I get, be a good indicator of what gas is better? Making sure, that of course temperature is abou the same on both test days, or is that pointless?

Let's hear everyones thoughts on using 91 vs 94 with ethanol :)

#2 rubberhead

rubberhead

Contributing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2084 posts
  • LocationOshawa
  • First Name:
    Jim

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:19 AM

tried both, tracked the fuel mileage, similar driving conditions and found that my car likes the 91. KR didn't change much, a tad lower maybe with the 91. and its a couple pennies a litre cheaper.

/my $0.02

#3 Geojb

Geojb

RGS.org VIP Server Upgrade supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4593 posts
  • LocationAngola, NY
  • First Name:
    George

Posted 13 March 2010 - 01:50 PM

Would going WOT on the highway with each gas, and seeing how many lbs of boost I get, be a good indicator of what gas is better? Making sure, that of course temperature is abou the same on both test days, or is that pointless?

I would say pointless.
Too many variables with going WOT & temps & such to use boost as an inticator.
Calculations real ones, not DIC. would be the best for over all MPG.
For performance Track times or something that could measure 0-60 MPH times.
I thought I read somewhere tht ethonal changes the fuel ratio or we need to change "that 14.7 to 1" ratio with a tuner for best performance/KR/MPG.
Just my 0.02

#4 djlamp14

djlamp14

Official RegalGS.org Flagship Car Owner

• Members
  • 3203 posts
  • LocationGrand Meadow, MN
  • First Name:
    Robert

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:38 PM

Ethanol is basically alcohol (rated at around 105-110 octane). It will get you more power but less gas mileage. So a little less KR (burns cooler I believe :think:) You will lose some number of MPG. Here in Minnesota a lot of the high HP guys tune and run for the E-85. They are able to run a little more stable with pulleys around 2.8 and 2.6 size. I have rode in a 11 second GP running E-85 and it will blow your balls off! >-) It also smells like Race gas

#5 Geojb

Geojb

• Members
  • 4593 posts
  • LocationAngola, NY
  • First Name:
    George

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:35 PM

Aggggg, Ala Homer...... :drool:

It also smells like Race gas

#6 djlamp14

djlamp14

• Members
  • 3203 posts
  • LocationGrand Meadow, MN
  • First Name:
    Robert

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:58 PM

Aggggg, Ala Homer...... :drool:

It also smells like Race gas

...Just another positive. IMO at least.

#7 uman44

uman44

Contributing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationPearland, TX (South Houston)
  • First Name:
    Jake

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:05 PM

Ethanol is basically alcohol (rated at around 105-110 octane). It will get you more power but less gas mileage. So a little less KR (burns cooler I believe :think:) You will lose some number of MPG. Here in Minnesota a lot of the high HP guys tune and run for the E-85. They are able to run a little more stable with pulleys around 2.8 and 2.6 size. I have rode in a 11 second GP running E-85 and it will blow your balls off! >-) It also smells like Race gas

ABStiffGS's Regal was in the 11's on E85 and it smelled like corn...

Ethanol burns cooler (reducing KR), but releases fewer BTU's meaning less power per unit compared to gasoline (lower MPG). Gasoline companies add Ethanol inorder to use lower octane gasoline with Ethanol pumping up the octane.

As far as the OP's question... I always choose non-ethanol, even with the higher octane 10% stuff. However, I don't think either of us are pushing enough HP or fine tuning enough to make a difference.

#8 MikeGS

MikeGS

• Forum Moderator
  • 1912 posts
  • LocationJust south of the Mason Dixon Line
  • First Name:
    Mike

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:09 PM

I liked the good old days when you could get 93 or 94 octane where there was no ethanol in it... The best of both worlds.

#9 Freddotron

Freddotron

Contributing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • LocationMinden, Ontario
  • First Name:
    Fred

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:38 AM

To the OP if you live in ontario imo the sunoco 94 is crap. Shell 91 Is the only thing I'll put in my tank. No exceptions. I can't speak for your 94 octane gas if your from the states. all i know is that in ontario the best gas you can get is shell 91

#10 Margarito

Margarito

Been There. Done That.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:34 PM

To the OP if you live in ontario imo the sunoco 94 is crap. Shell 91 Is the only thing I'll put in my tank. No exceptions. I can't speak for your 94 octane gas if your from the states. all i know is that in ontario the best gas you can get is shell 91

Im in Montreal.

I think Sunoco 94 is pretty much the same as Petro Canada 94.

Yeah Ill keep 91 V-power, thanks guys :_)

#11 chromeGS

chromeGS

CHROMEGS FOREVER!!!!!

• Members
  • 1606 posts
  • LocationFORT WAYNE INDIANA
  • First Name:
    ROB

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:44 PM

my shell only has 93 with no ethinal* in it, well that is what the clerk said

#12 MikeGS

MikeGS

• Forum Moderator
  • 1912 posts
  • LocationJust south of the Mason Dixon Line
  • First Name:
    Mike

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:07 PM

my shell only has 93 with no ethinal* in it, well that is what the clerk said

Never mind the clerk, look for the sticker on the pump. By law there should be on there.

#13 Crazyguy03

Crazyguy03

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7228 posts
  • LocationWNY

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:42 PM

Gas pumps are supposed to place the ethanol percentage somewhere where you can see it. In NY almost alll the stations say may contain up to 10% ethanol

Now my problem with that is, since we used to have Mobile being the only one NOT using ethenal, it was more expensive. Sunnoco was cheaper , offered 93 octane and had up to 10% ethanol.

Now both Mobile and Sunnoco are no longer 100% gas. As well as BP, Noco, Getty and tops etc... so anyone looking for pure gas in WNY is kinda out of luck.

#14 Loly

Loly

SHUTURPIEHOLE

• Members
  • 1922 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ontario, CANADA
  • First Name:
    Gy

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:55 PM

It's pretty much the same up here in Ontario...it's called "Industry Standard" and again, it's pretty much a continental thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BoHeGeHa Dark Blue 2.1.1 © Thomas Yugar (Chemical Chaos)
Official upgrade for IPB 2.3.x © Michael ( Dev Fuse )
3.X © Upgrade by Dumbledore ( Tppskinning )