Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  ejguillot : (15 November 2019 - 08:19 PM)

Anybody get on here anymore?

@  ejguillot : (01 November 2019 - 02:23 AM)

It should be possible, you might want to get a surplus connector so you can hook the fan motor to a battery.

@  Greg2000GS : (01 November 2019 - 01:58 AM)

cooling fan suspect. Is there a way to test it by jumping connector?

@  Fast86GN : (31 October 2019 - 01:23 PM)

I'm here....

@  ejguillot : (27 October 2019 - 01:39 PM)

Let's try to bring this forum back to life a bit... I'll be on fairly often (now that my project Regal is seeing some progress).

@  ejguillot : (27 October 2019 - 01:38 PM)

Let

@  ejguillot : (01 October 2019 - 02:44 AM)

And I will have a 1999 GS transmission, about 140K miles, shift kit installed, available for sale soon. in Tampa FL.

@  ejguillot : (01 October 2019 - 02:20 AM)

Hi everyone. Still working on my project car GS.

@  alemstrom : (24 September 2019 - 04:36 PM)

It runs!

@  Fast86GN : (10 September 2019 - 03:11 PM)

Saw a few on FB 3800 marketplace

@  BigSexxyGS : (16 August 2019 - 02:08 PM)

Im here. Looking for a trans for a 2003 GS...Help!

@  NKmssin3 : (05 August 2019 - 11:20 PM)

I check back in on occasion to.

@  Crazyguy03 : (07 July 2019 - 07:50 PM)

Yes

@  tpivette : (05 July 2019 - 02:47 AM)

I stop back every once in a while

@  ejguillot : (30 June 2019 - 08:36 PM)

Wow, is anyone on anymore? Leave a shoutbox comment please!

@  ejguillot : (10 June 2019 - 04:28 PM)

unfortunately, I have to agree.

@  buck531 : (09 June 2019 - 03:14 AM)

this place is dead.

@  buck531 : (09 June 2019 - 03:14 AM)

congrats Alan!

@  buck531 : (30 April 2019 - 02:14 PM)

DOH

@  ejguillot : (22 April 2019 - 10:40 PM)

I haven't. Still on here occasionally, Facebook is the work of Satan. :P

Photo
- - - - -

S/C oil is very dark and smells extremely foul

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 goredsox82

goredsox82

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationDecatur,Ill.
  • First Name:
    B.J.

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

So I knuckled under and went to my local GM dealership and bought two 4 oz bottles of S/C oil and it cost me over 30 bucks (not too happy about it but this dealership is notorious for trying to make their money on the little things). When I got home to top of the S/C it took a lot more oil then I thought it would almost a whole bottle. When the level did finally come up I noticed that the oil is very dark and extremely foul smelling. So my question is how low is too low on S/C oil and should I be as worried as I am.

#2 kevandkaye

kevandkaye

Multi-Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts
  • LocationWanatah, IN
  • First Name:
    Kevin

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

I hate to say this, but you should have sucked out the old S/C oil before you added any new oil to the well. You can usually find the oil cheaper online including free shipping. And yes, it smells like ass of babies and monkey farts! Should you decide to rid yourself of the newly contaminated oil you made up, You'll be needing a turkey baster or other means of removing the foul lubricant from the well. Get out as much as you can BEFORE adding even 1oz. of new oil. But don't panic! Just filling it up will help, and you should be fine for now....

Edited by kevandkaye, 21 January 2013 - 07:23 PM.

#3 kevandkaye

kevandkaye

Multi-Contributor

• Members
  • 2,381 posts
  • LocationWanatah, IN
  • First Name:
    Kevin

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

Oh and, HELLO! Welcome to the site!

#4 SuperDave

SuperDave

I feel pretty...oh so pretty!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationAntioch-Chicago,IL
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

The problem is people think that the SC oil doesn't need to be changed, but like all oils it does break down. It most likely hasn't been touched before you bought the car, so it would be normal for the level to be low. The SC oil naturally smells like ass and that's normal, I wouldn't worry about that..lol

#5 goredsox82

goredsox82

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationDecatur,Ill.
  • First Name:
    B.J.

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

Thanks for the help. When I say newbie I mean newbie. New to the car the S/C and forums so if my etocate is abrasive dont be afraid to speak up. I'm not easily offended and thirsty for knowledge. By the by I downloaded the ipb mobile app and need the community name and URL address. I have no idea what that even means so any help would be great. Thanks again. I love this place. It is like Facebook for car stuff

#6 kevandkaye

kevandkaye

Multi-Contributor

• Members
  • 2,381 posts
  • LocationWanatah, IN
  • First Name:
    Kevin

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

Yeah, we need "like" buttons too but our admins just don't care about us any more............. Posted Image

#7 b4black

b4black

Been There. Done That.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts
  • LocationAurora, IL
  • First Name:
    Rich

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:32 AM

This oil is just a gear lube. It takes about two bottle when completely empty. You have ½ old oil and ½ new oil. I'm sure this is OK. Clearly better ½ empty.

I'd leave it for now, then change it sometime in the future. Actaully, I've never seen a GM recommended change interval, just top off. Most owners never change or even check it.

PS - just found this on a Holdern Commodore site:

The published Eaton position on changing the oil is:

"The sealed oil reservoir in a supercharger is designed to last the life of the vehicle. Changing the oil is not recommended unless you suspect contamination, leakage, or other issues like bearing failure. Also, if your vehicle has an abnormally heavy duty cycle, such as racing or towing, you could consider changing the oil at regular intervals such as 20k miles, 30k miles , 50k, or 100k miles depending on usage"

So looks like it's up to you on when to change.

#8 CraigGSE

CraigGSE

I have a Sweet A$$ Smurf Blue Engine Bay

• Members
  • 2,536 posts
  • LocationGarrettsville Ohio
  • First Name:
    Craig

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

I know the GM dealership told me when i bought my SC oil to change mine they normally would change the SC oil on the last inspection/check up what ever you call it before warranty was up.I could not tell you if they actually follow this or if every dealership does though.The parts department dude also told me usual change intervals on the supercharger oil is around 75 to 100k because its a synthetic oil blah blah blah i do not remember all reasons he told me.Myself i decided i will change mine around 50k unless i drop pulley sizes and when i do i will change it every 30k.

When i changed mine i used a old Windex bottle cleaned it very good then i jacked the car up on the passenger side a little to get the fluid leaning more tords the filler hole "Before i joined here i you tubed how to change it and the vid i saw he did this". Then you just suck every drop out with the squirter end from the Windex bottle.You can moving the hose all around from corner to corner and just squirt it into the old Windex bottle.Once i had it all out i then moved the jack to the driver side lifted it up little and filled the snout back up to the bottom thread of the filler hole. It took one full bottle and around 80-90% of the other bottle.

I myself would remove all the old oil and put completely fresh in but you should just wait a little while first,buy a new supercharger coupler they cost 10-15 bucks roughly depending where you buy it then once you got the coupler then put fresh oil in it. That way 2nd time around you knock 2 things out at once and you do not gotta worry about the coupler or the oil for quite awhile..Thats my 2 cents on that.

Forgot to say the coupler is very very easy to change so it is not a job that requires a shop to do it.

Edited by CraigGSE, 22 January 2013 - 10:39 PM.

#9 Wildcat

Wildcat

Been There. Done That.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
  • First Name:
    Paul

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:00 AM

Did mine just yesterday too. I had previously attempted to suck some out with the baster, which was a study in frustration. At that time i topped it off anyway (used just a tiny bit from my new bottle), knowing it would be some time before I got back around to it.
Did the spray bottle routine this time and sucked a whole crap-ton of fluid out. Was able to put both bottles in before capping it off.
I feel very lucky that the old stuff was perfectly clear and clean with just the normal bad smell. Without the "additive package" of super smells of old stuff. Seems to me that the PO actually had done this at some point in the almost 100k miles he had it, so I'm happy. Even if i didn't need to do it, at least now I KNOW I won't have to do it again for awhile.

The spray nozzle made it a breeze to get the old out, but I've yet to perfect my approach to refilling. Took a LONNNNNNNG time!

Paul

#10 glendayle

glendayle

Been through more than 1 Transmission

• Members
  • 3,947 posts
  • LocationSLC, UT
  • First Name:
    Clint

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

This thing works pretty good for getting fluid out.

transfer pump

The word that comes to mind with with SC oil is rancid. People always talked about it smelling bad, but I just couldn't believe how bad it can really be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BoHeGeHa Dark Blue 2.1.1 © Thomas Yugar (Chemical Chaos)
Official upgrade for IPB 2.3.x © Michael ( Dev Fuse )
3.X © Upgrade by Dumbledore ( Tppskinning )