Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  ejguillot : (15 November 2019 - 08:19 PM)

Anybody get on here anymore?

@  ejguillot : (01 November 2019 - 02:23 AM)

It should be possible, you might want to get a surplus connector so you can hook the fan motor to a battery.

@  Greg2000GS : (01 November 2019 - 01:58 AM)

cooling fan suspect. Is there a way to test it by jumping connector?

@  Fast86GN : (31 October 2019 - 01:23 PM)

I'm here....

@  ejguillot : (27 October 2019 - 01:39 PM)

Let's try to bring this forum back to life a bit... I'll be on fairly often (now that my project Regal is seeing some progress).

@  ejguillot : (27 October 2019 - 01:38 PM)

Let

@  ejguillot : (01 October 2019 - 02:44 AM)

And I will have a 1999 GS transmission, about 140K miles, shift kit installed, available for sale soon. in Tampa FL.

@  ejguillot : (01 October 2019 - 02:20 AM)

Hi everyone. Still working on my project car GS.

@  alemstrom : (24 September 2019 - 04:36 PM)

It runs!

@  Fast86GN : (10 September 2019 - 03:11 PM)

Saw a few on FB 3800 marketplace

@  BigSexxyGS : (16 August 2019 - 02:08 PM)

Im here. Looking for a trans for a 2003 GS...Help!

@  NKmssin3 : (05 August 2019 - 11:20 PM)

I check back in on occasion to.

@  Crazyguy03 : (07 July 2019 - 07:50 PM)

Yes

@  tpivette : (05 July 2019 - 02:47 AM)

I stop back every once in a while

@  ejguillot : (30 June 2019 - 08:36 PM)

Wow, is anyone on anymore? Leave a shoutbox comment please!

@  ejguillot : (10 June 2019 - 04:28 PM)

unfortunately, I have to agree.

@  buck531 : (09 June 2019 - 03:14 AM)

this place is dead.

@  buck531 : (09 June 2019 - 03:14 AM)

congrats Alan!

@  buck531 : (30 April 2019 - 02:14 PM)

DOH

@  ejguillot : (22 April 2019 - 10:40 PM)

I haven't. Still on here occasionally, Facebook is the work of Satan. :P

Photo
- - - - -

Transmission Filter Question

Transmission Filter

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RegalEagle

RegalEagle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:43 PM

Howdy all,

Fist time poster on this forum and I’d like to begin by saying that it seems like a great resource!

I recently picked up an 01 Buick Regal LS with 107K miles on it and I’m hitting some of the typical services that I suspect have been neglected for quite some time by the previous owner. Yesterday, I replaced the transmission filter with a new AC Delco 24227477. When I installed it, I noticed that it was not quite as snug as the old filter I had just removed. To be sure, I pulled the new filter off, reinstalled, and paid close attention to feel for the neck of filter to pop into place, which I believe I felt it do. However, there was still a bit of play to the body of the filter in comparison to the old one. Is there anything to be concerned about here? I don’t want to the filter to “fall out”, so to speak, or to allow fluid to get by the neck/gasket connection allowing unfiltered fluid to get back into the transmission and cause premature wear or worse.

I did not replace the small gasket/sleeve where the filter neck connects to the trans. It did not come out with the old filter and I opted to not mess with it per numerous recommendations in other online resources I’d reviewed prior to replacing the filter.

Is there anything for which I should watch out as I drive the vehicle? Is the fact that the filter is not as snug reason enough to fuss with dropping the pan again and perhaps swapping the filter neck gasket? I’m willing to buy another 7qts of fluid and replace the gasket/reinstall filter if it avoids major problems, but of course I’d rather not if there’s nothing to be concerned about here. Thanks in advance for any wisdom that you might be able to share.

#2 scottydoggs98

scottydoggs98

I Know Regals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • First Name:
    scott

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

if you left the old O ring in there you just push the new filter up in the hole till you feel it click. with no new O ring on the new filter. 

lubing the new filter end with some trans fluid helps it slide in nice too.

if it feels loose try pulling it back out, it takes a bit to get them out as you felt from the old one.

#3 RegalEagle

RegalEagle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:42 PM

Thanks for the quick reply - I did everything that you listed and my question is that the filter is not as snug as the old one even after doing those things. I did button everything back up yesterday and the car drove just fine. I guess the reason for my post is that I'm debating if I should drop the pan again to reinstall the filter once more (perhaps with more force?) and possibly change the filter neck gasket.

#4 scottydoggs98

scottydoggs98

I Know Regals

• Members
  • 1,325 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • First Name:
    scott

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:14 PM

it you could pull on it some what and it stayed up there in the hole im sure its fine.

if it does fall out you'll know it cause the trans will starve for fluid and start to whine.

#5 RegalEagle

RegalEagle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:11 PM

it you could pull on it some what and it stayed up there in the hole im sure its fine.

if it does fall out you'll know it cause the trans will starve for fluid and start to whine.

Awesome, that's great info, thanks! How loud of a whine would it be? Slight or pretty loud and noticeable?

#6 scottydoggs98

scottydoggs98

I Know Regals

• Members
  • 1,325 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • First Name:
    scott

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:30 PM

similar to power steering pump whine but from the driver side. it will rise and drop in pitch with the rpm's too. 

#7 RegalEagle

RegalEagle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:16 PM

Thanks - really appreciate the info!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BoHeGeHa Dark Blue 2.1.1 © Thomas Yugar (Chemical Chaos)
Official upgrade for IPB 2.3.x © Michael ( Dev Fuse )
3.X © Upgrade by Dumbledore ( Tppskinning )