Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  ejguillot : (21 September 2018 - 03:03 PM)

Agreed. I'd rather pay money to keep this site going than be on Facebook and having everything on there be used to make a buck for Zuck and company.

@  Vicious6 : (20 September 2018 - 01:48 PM)

We need to get this place moving again! Post link to this site on every social media site you know! Been around too long and we can't let it go down..........

@  Vicious6 : (20 September 2018 - 01:08 PM)

Seems everyone is too stressed to be online and worried about where their next meal is coming from! Rough times right now!

@  ejguillot : (14 September 2018 - 01:15 AM)

Still dead in here. Get off Facebook!

@  tpivette : (02 August 2018 - 01:08 AM)

Crazy, huh? I remember when I first got my GS in 2010 this place was a lot more active

@  Marchi1 : (30 July 2018 - 06:24 PM)

wow two weeks with no input

@  buck531 : (17 July 2018 - 01:15 AM)

ded

@  ejguillot : (12 July 2018 - 04:47 PM)

It is dead in here. Everyone on facebook?

@  M_Dogg : (03 July 2018 - 11:40 PM)

hello!!
echo
..echo
....echo

@  buck531 : (28 June 2018 - 01:37 PM)

this place is dead :(

@  keithr182 : (03 June 2018 - 07:13 PM)

Hey everyone. Just posted some parts for sale including a S2 IC if anyone is interested!

@  wq : (02 June 2018 - 04:46 PM)

p0171

@  jmaechtlen : (26 May 2018 - 04:34 AM)

fun, fun, fun

@  jmaechtlen : (26 May 2018 - 04:34 AM)

Still prepping the L67 for my Corvair project - cranks but no fuel pump

@  NKmssin3 : (07 May 2018 - 09:38 PM)

Hey Folks, I have a move happening and I have a sealed 5-gallon can of Renegade Pro 1 Methanol that I cannot take with me. Is anyone near the Orlando area interested?

@  phcdsqu : (06 May 2018 - 11:13 PM)

Wow, been a while since I logged in here...

@  ejguillot : (19 March 2018 - 02:10 AM)

Checking in here, because I will never use Facebook. :ph34r:

@  marcleach75 : (01 March 2018 - 06:13 AM)

Pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon, Manny Mota.

@  WildGS : (01 March 2018 - 03:56 AM)

echo....echo...echo.....

@  marcleach75 : (13 February 2018 - 05:08 AM)

Listening to PUTS, miss these dudes/

Photo
- - - - -

Big Camaro Brakes fit with Abboud Wheels?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Wildcat

Wildcat

Been There. Done That.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
  • First Name:
    Paul

Posted 02 August 2015 - 05:14 AM

Worth a try, or a complete no-go do you think?

It looks like it might get tight in there, but I thought I remembered reading a long time ago here someone saying that the Abboud 16's specifically were just big enough to fit the bigger rotors and calipers. Been awhile though, so thought I'd ask again.

Not against fitting 17 inch wheels, and might go that route eventually, but I need to do brakes and it would be nice (which means chances are slim) if I could just go with the big brakes now and fit the wheels later.

I know other discussions mentioned that the Abboud wheels were slightly lighter than some other stock wheels, but can't remember exactly where I saw the bit about the brakes fitting.

Thanks

Paul

#2 scottydoggs98

scottydoggs98

I Know Regals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • First Name:
    scott

Posted 02 August 2015 - 12:33 PM

they should fit. F bodys only dont fit them grand prix cross lace wheels 

i have STS wheels, they clear by a inch. most wheels they do fit. they did fir the strock regal wheels to.

cleanwheelandcaliper1_zpsfa36733e.jpg

#3 halo0

halo0

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI
  • First Name:
    Phil

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:28 PM

Same question here. I have my Abboud all torn apart right now. But I think the abboud wheels are the same as the regular silver GS wheels, just with different hubcaps...

Also is there a list somewhere of which cars we can harvest the 12" rotors from? and the calipers? I've read about the 07 impala's fitting.

#4 Wildcat

Wildcat

Been There. Done That.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
  • First Name:
    Paul

Posted 03 August 2015 - 06:18 AM

Excellent news. Thanks Scott. Saves me some trouble at least initially. Worry about tire sizes later.

The Impala setup is supposedly a direct swap, but I just had a stock GS rotor, an Impala rotor, and a 2001 Camaro rotor all laid out on the counter at my local shop, and only the Camaro rotor was identical to the Regal rotor other than diameter.

The Impala rotor (I think I used '07, but not sure anymore) had distinct variations in hat height, as well as being thicker on one side of the rotor for a different overall thickness compared to the others.

So I'm going with Camaro as my donor-of-choice for now. Had a "brake discount week" at the local Pick-n-Pull yards a few weeks ago, but missed out due to bad timing. I'll probably go with new stuff, but not averse to checking the local yards for any upgraded Camaros that might have a new-ish set of fancy brakes either.

Good luck on yours. Let you know how mine works out.

Paul

#5 halo0

halo0

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI
  • First Name:
    Phil

Posted 03 August 2015 - 03:57 PM

OK so a Camaro rotor is a good bet. Now, can I use my stock caliper and just buy a Camaro caliper bracket? Would the upgrade in size be worth it with the stock caliper/pads or should I go all in and get Camaro calipers too? I'm thinking that's going to add to the level of difficulty in finding parts.

#6 scottydoggs98

scottydoggs98

I Know Regals

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • First Name:
    scott

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:33 PM

you install the 98-02 camaro rotor, caliper, and caliper bracket.  you dont go mixing up brakes.

#7 halo0

halo0

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI
  • First Name:
    Phil

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:38 PM

Haha I got it. I'm ordering all the stuff from advance auto now :)

#8 scottydoggs98

scottydoggs98

I Know Regals

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • First Name:
    scott

Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:40 AM

you also need the bolts that the camaro caliper bracket uses, or drill and tap them to the w body bolt. and pretty sure you need f body brake lines or up grade to ss lines.

you need sleeves if you use the camaro bolts. all they do is center the bolt in the knuckle as the camaro bolt is thinner then the w body bolt.

this how to has pics, explains it very well, has the part # and where to order the sleeves in the thread too.    http://www.regalgs.o...-brake-upgrade/

Edited by scottydoggs98, 04 August 2015 - 02:41 AM.

#9 Loly

Loly

SHUTURPIEHOLE

• Members
  • 2,148 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ontario, CANADA
  • First Name:
    Gy

Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:56 AM

Here's the write up I used..... http://www.clubgp.co...ods.asp?modid=3

#10 halo0

halo0

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI
  • First Name:
    Phil

Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:05 PM

you also need the bolts that the camaro caliper bracket uses, or drill and tap them to the w body bolt. and pretty sure you need f body brake lines or up grade to ss lines.

you need sleeves if you use the camaro bolts. all they do is center the bolt in the knuckle as the camaro bolt is thinner then the w body bolt.

this how to has pics, explains it very well, has the part # and where to order the sleeves in the thread too.    http://www.regalgs.o...-brake-upgrade/

Yeah I found this thread last night and ordered all the stuff including the calipers with bolts and the sleeves from mcmaster. The only thing I didn't get are the SS brake lines because the only ones they had at the site listed were $60 for a set of 4. I don't really think they're that necessary. I'm hoping I can use my stock ones.

#11 scottydoggs98

scottydoggs98

I Know Regals

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • First Name:
    scott

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:40 PM

60's not bad. they firm up the brake pedal more. think of it this way, your old rubber lines are how old? and they do wear out.  so why not upgrade em?  

#12 halo0

halo0

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI
  • First Name:
    Phil

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:53 PM

Actually I just checked and it's $90 shipped just for the fronts. I don't think that's worth it.

#13 scottydoggs98

scottydoggs98

I Know Regals

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • First Name:
    scott

Posted 05 August 2015 - 02:14 AM

to bad i just swapped it all at once, now i dont know how much of difference the ss lines make. 

all i know is they should have come from the factory with these brakes. they work so much better.

#14 Wildcat

Wildcat

Been There. Done That.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
  • First Name:
    Paul

Posted 09 September 2018 - 04:28 AM

Finally got 'round to getting them installed. Been hating the thought of someone else doing the work, but I just have not had the time to even think about pulling things apart.

So three years after the fact, they fit (and look!) great. Both on the vehicle, and behind the wheels that they look like they were made for.

Remembered the sleeves, but totally forgot about the bolts, so had to scramble for some right sized bits!

The stock hoses definitely did not work "as-is" but needed the mounts tweaked around quite a bit to let them reach. I will not leave them that way however, as at full turn they're way too tight for my liking. Not so much they're going to rip out of their sockets, but I think in the long-term it will shorten the life of the hoses so I'm going to figure out some longer ones. Not sure how everyone else gets away with stock Regal OR Camaro hoses without mods.

Centric parts for Camaro. Drilled and slotted option.

Attached File  IMG_4045 (Large).jpeg   134.08KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_4048 (Large).jpeg   116.72KB   0 downloads

Paul

#15 M_Dogg

M_Dogg

RGS.org VIP Server Upgrade supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts
  • LocationBrookfield IL
  • First Name:
    Marcin

Posted 20 September 2018 - 01:48 AM

Looks good man, how's the stopping difference? I'm thinking about upgrading my brakes, front and rear...

#16 Wildcat

Wildcat

Been There. Done That.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
  • First Name:
    Paul

Posted 20 September 2018 - 05:34 AM

The feel is real strong. Noticeable difference.

Not like night and day of course, as the stock brakes are half-way decent to begin with. But the difference is actually more than I expected because of that.

The only negative I could detect is a very slightly longer travel on the pedal. This seems logical as the calipers are so much larger, with two pistons. Although I have not done the math to see if there is actually more piston surface area, or just the same spread out over a wider area of the dual pistons.

If it's the same area, then the pedal travel should be the same as before. It's not soft at all, so should not be air in the system. Just longer travel by a smidgen. A tiny smidgen actually, and perhaps an amount most would not notice.

But I tend to nit-pick...

Even if they were not a performance improvement, I'd be happy enough with just the visual aspect! High on the cool factor scale in my book.

Fortunately though, the performance follows suit.

I have not taken the time yet to figure out if my rotors are on the wrong side or not.

Most drilled and/or slotted rotors do run the pattern in a radial that faces rearward as it moves outward. Mine is the opposite, but it's not the surface pattern that makes a difference, but the shape of the venting vanes.

Luckily for the visual aspect, the holes and slots tend to follow the internal vanes. So I'm thinking mine are indeed backwards.

We'll see.

Paul

#17 Wildcat

Wildcat

Been There. Done That.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
  • First Name:
    Paul

Posted 20 September 2018 - 05:40 AM

Hmm, I think I may have figured out why they're marked Left and Right the way they are. Each of the holes looks like it vents into a separate chamber/vane, which just happens to give them a reverse orientation.

Still a bit strange that they couldn't have accomplished the same thing with the different effect of reversing the arc of the holes and slots. But hey, if that's how they do it, so be it.

Just looks strange to me.

And I still don't put it past some knucklehead to put the wrong decal on the part at the factory!

If not normally a knucklehead, they made the grade that day.

Paul

#18 OhMyGS

OhMyGS

• Members
  • 4,742 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois
  • First Name:
    Alan

Posted 20 September 2018 - 06:13 PM

They look to be the opposite of mine from ZZP which were labeled L & R also.

Attached Files

#19 Wildcat

Wildcat

Been There. Done That.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
  • First Name:
    Paul

Posted 20 September 2018 - 09:10 PM

Yeah those are the more typical configuration I'm used to seeing.

What calipers are those? They're very slick looking.

Standard with the ZZP kit, or something else?

Paul

#20 OhMyGS

OhMyGS

• Members
  • 4,742 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois
  • First Name:
    Alan

Posted Yesterday, 06:06 AM

Standard what ZZP sends with their kit.  Someone called them Cadillac V brakes, but ZZP calls them 4 piston Brembo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BoHeGeHa Dark Blue 2.1.1 © Thomas Yugar (Chemical Chaos)
Official upgrade for IPB 2.3.x © Michael ( Dev Fuse )
3.X © Upgrade by Dumbledore ( Tppskinning )