Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  ejguillot : (21 September 2018 - 03:03 PM)

Agreed. I'd rather pay money to keep this site going than be on Facebook and having everything on there be used to make a buck for Zuck and company.

@  Vicious6 : (20 September 2018 - 01:48 PM)

We need to get this place moving again! Post link to this site on every social media site you know! Been around too long and we can't let it go down..........

@  Vicious6 : (20 September 2018 - 01:08 PM)

Seems everyone is too stressed to be online and worried about where their next meal is coming from! Rough times right now!

@  ejguillot : (14 September 2018 - 01:15 AM)

Still dead in here. Get off Facebook!

@  tpivette : (02 August 2018 - 01:08 AM)

Crazy, huh? I remember when I first got my GS in 2010 this place was a lot more active

@  Marchi1 : (30 July 2018 - 06:24 PM)

wow two weeks with no input

@  buck531 : (17 July 2018 - 01:15 AM)

ded

@  ejguillot : (12 July 2018 - 04:47 PM)

It is dead in here. Everyone on facebook?

@  M_Dogg : (03 July 2018 - 11:40 PM)

hello!!
echo
..echo
....echo

@  buck531 : (28 June 2018 - 01:37 PM)

this place is dead :(

@  keithr182 : (03 June 2018 - 07:13 PM)

Hey everyone. Just posted some parts for sale including a S2 IC if anyone is interested!

@  wq : (02 June 2018 - 04:46 PM)

p0171

@  jmaechtlen : (26 May 2018 - 04:34 AM)

fun, fun, fun

@  jmaechtlen : (26 May 2018 - 04:34 AM)

Still prepping the L67 for my Corvair project - cranks but no fuel pump

@  NKmssin3 : (07 May 2018 - 09:38 PM)

Hey Folks, I have a move happening and I have a sealed 5-gallon can of Renegade Pro 1 Methanol that I cannot take with me. Is anyone near the Orlando area interested?

@  phcdsqu : (06 May 2018 - 11:13 PM)

Wow, been a while since I logged in here...

@  ejguillot : (19 March 2018 - 02:10 AM)

Checking in here, because I will never use Facebook. :ph34r:

@  marcleach75 : (01 March 2018 - 06:13 AM)

Pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon, Manny Mota.

@  WildGS : (01 March 2018 - 03:56 AM)

echo....echo...echo.....

@  marcleach75 : (13 February 2018 - 05:08 AM)

Listening to PUTS, miss these dudes/

Photo
- - - - -

Can't get rid of No.4 Misfire at idle......

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 GS Dave

GS Dave

RGS.org VIP Server Upgrade supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:13 PM

Well....going to bring this topic back from the dead.  I bought Waterdog's car which is in great shape other than this misfire.  

One thing I noticed when driving it is that the AC does not work.  Looked at his DTCs again, and it has blend door codes.  Since these are vacuum driven(At least I think they are), could a vacuum leak in the passenger compartment be causing this?  I would think a vacuum leak would cause random misfires across all cylinders, but perhaps the lower compression on 4 makes it more susceptible?

Its been raining here nonstop since I got the car, and its supposed to continue through the weekend.  Going to try to find some time to investigate.  

Whats the best way to check for vacuum leaks in the passenger compartment?  I can do a visual and also pull the hoses, but not sure if that will be sufficient.

Thanks in advance guys.

On a side note...my two Regals are the same color.  My kids, twin 16 year olds, are now claiming they are their cars. lol  They have a lot to learn.  ;)

#22 GS Dave

GS Dave

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:02 PM

Swapped out the IAC for a new one, it didn't stop the misfires, but smoothed out the idle considerably. It no longer stumbles and the misfires are barely noticeable, but they still show up on the scans.  Going to test the coolant for exhaust gasses before swapping out the crank position sensor. Sill need to check the HVAC vac lines, hopefully find some time this week.

#23 Geojb

Geojb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,630 posts
  • LocationAngola, NY
  • First Name:
    George

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:23 PM

Hi Dave,

Have you done a leak down test on Both the cylinder and the coolant system?

Been looking at other problems for my Nissan, and that came up. A bad head gasket leaking coolant into the cylinder. Just a Very little bit.

Just something Else to throw into the mix........

#24 GS Dave

GS Dave

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:41 PM

Thanks George that is next on the list.  everything I read leads me to a either a small head gasket leak or a valve issue.  Unfortunately I am not comfortable(nor do I have the time) pulling the head myself and will probably take it in to a shop in the next week or two.  I'm going to do the coolant exhaust test kit this weekend. Neither the oil nor coolant show visible signs of contamination, but that doesn't help much.  

#25 GS Dave

GS Dave

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:55 PM

Had a shop do a leakdown test, it held on all cylinders including number 4.  The coolant light just started coming on, not sure if its the sensor or if its sucking coolant by the head gasket.  Having the shop pull the heads.  If the heads look good(magnafluxed) then I'll probably have them do a valve job and button it back up.  I wish I had the skills and time to do it myself.  Maybe I should order some ZZP heads and be done with it.  ;)

#26 OhMyGS

OhMyGS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,742 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois
  • First Name:
    Alan

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:54 PM

I'd bet on that coolant sensor being gunked up.  I think unplugging it will make the light go away. 

#27 GS Dave

GS Dave

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:26 PM

I told the mechanic to ignore light, they are notorious for failing, he needs to check the actual coolant level. lol  The Sensor on my 2000 is intermittently bad.

#28 GS Dave

GS Dave

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:58 PM

I can't believe this.  I missed a call from the actual mechanic yesterday, the guy I talked to earlier in the day was the owner.  I called the mechanic back but we couldn't connect.  

So this morning he calls me back and tells me he is at his wits end with the car, tried everything.  I was really confused as we were going down the path to pull the heads.  He asked if I had done a compression test, and I about freaked, they were supposed to do a leak down.   I had to start a mtg, so I told him I would stop by after my mtg.

I get there, and thankfully, the car is still all together.  Tells me all the things he tried, which is basically what I already told the owner that Waterdog did.  I asked about the leak down test and he tells me they DID NOT DO ONE.  He said the owner was jumping the gun on pulling the heads.  There is another shop they want to send the car to for diagnostics...I sent the car over since the mechanic said they can do a leak down. As soon as I get their diagnosis, I am going to get my car out of there.  Hopefully they don't try to screw me on this thing. 

#29 GS Dave

GS Dave

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:37 PM

Second shop actually has an oscilloscope, and the owner seems to know how to use it.  After testing for compression, and the fuel system(does not hold pressure but injectors are good), he put it on the scope.  All cylinders but #4 look perfect.  #4 is all over the place and he is leaning to a spring, rocker, or valve issue.  Unfortunately, his shop is backlogged, but in the next couple weeks I will be taking it back to him to check the valve train before pulling the heads.

#30 phcdsqu

phcdsqu

"Token" Asian

• Members
  • 1,465 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis
  • First Name:
    Chad

Posted 06 May 2018 - 11:12 PM

So.. pulling this out of the dead bin as I'm having a P0300 code set intermittently, and only once did I get a cylinder 4 code.  Dave, what was the final diagnosis?

#31 GS Dave

GS Dave

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:41 PM

Unfortunately, haven't had anytime to play with it.  Went to start it up...dead battery....put new battery in, big vacuum leak...something(probably rats) decided my vacuum lines tasted good.  Working on getting that sorted out, then probably going to sell both the Regals.  I just don't have time and I'd rather them go to a good home.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BoHeGeHa Dark Blue 2.1.1 © Thomas Yugar (Chemical Chaos)
Official upgrade for IPB 2.3.x © Michael ( Dev Fuse )
3.X © Upgrade by Dumbledore ( Tppskinning )