Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  2000GSEDUDE : (13 January 2018 - 03:50 AM)

really would like a gsx grille or spoiler about now...

@  Mitchell075 : (08 January 2018 - 05:28 AM)

Nuh uh

@  2001GSREGAL : (06 January 2018 - 04:14 AM)

WOW this place is dead.

@  scottydoggs98 : (26 December 2017 - 06:02 PM)

its back, but a .com now

@  scottydoggs98 : (26 December 2017 - 06:02 PM)

http://www.grandprixforums.com/mgc_cb_evo.php?do=view_chatbox

@  Billycar11 : (24 December 2017 - 09:34 AM)

going to miss all that info on gpf but then again https://web.archive....dprixforums.net most stuff is missing though

@  Billycar11 : (24 December 2017 - 09:30 AM)

so is the new place for wbody stuff or ?

@  cheatah fahe... : (19 December 2017 - 02:13 AM)

buuck531

@  cheatah fahe... : (19 December 2017 - 02:13 AM)

make a new account Buck ?

@  buck531 : (19 December 2017 - 12:50 AM)

Meh can't sign into wbody.com used an old email that I don't have access to anymore.

@  ithurtz : (17 December 2017 - 03:01 AM)

junk

@  scottydoggs98 : (17 December 2017 - 12:21 AM)

only hear it when the wheels spin free, dead stop, or rolling spinning, same sound. not a single rattle or any thing else, as long as they dont spin

@  scottydoggs98 : (17 December 2017 - 12:21 AM)

@  scottydoggs98 : (17 December 2017 - 12:20 AM)

yup, no idea wtf that sound it.

@  cheatah fahe... : (16 December 2017 - 11:57 PM)

sounds less Regalish, and more Tahoeish ?

@  scottydoggs98 : (16 December 2017 - 10:52 PM)

i have no idea what you speak of

@  Billycar11 : (16 December 2017 - 09:00 PM)

Scotty why is your car making weird noises

@  ithurtz : (16 December 2017 - 04:13 AM)

cock

@  ithurtz : (15 December 2017 - 03:23 AM)

thats the Member ride

@  MarshalC : (15 December 2017 - 03:21 AM)

http://www.w-body.co...pecial-edition/

Photo
- - - - -

Extend the Power Steering fill/check up where you can reach it

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ticketmagnet

ticketmagnet

Been There. Done That.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts
  • LocationMI
  • First Name:
    Luke

Posted 20 June 2016 - 12:21 AM

W-body owners know that checking and filling the power steering is a pain.  If the engine is hot, that's not just figurative.  Putting it down below the alternator and heater hoses shows an assumption that it won't need to accessed often.  To make matters worse, Regals have a strut tower brace making access even harder.

Here's how I fought back.

This is the filler from a late 90's S-10 truck, like Jimmy, Bravada, S-10.  It may have run from '96-'05, but I'm no s-dime expert.

PICT0198.jpg

That rubber bushing at the bottom is key because it seals where the dipstick would usually be.  It fits in my spare pump like such:

PICT0200.jpg

There is a problem with depth.  First of all, when the tube is fully inserted, the dipstick bottoms out in the Regal reservoir.

PICT0199.jpg

There are (at least) 2 ways to deal with this.

1. Keep the tube from inserting all the way (see the spacer I made in the picture above)
  2. Shorten the dipstick.  All GM dipsticks are held in by a roll pin and can be swapped between handles.

Which is better depends on the installation, I suppose.  Unfortunately, this tubing bend can't bring the fill out to the most convenient places.  The best I could do was basically leaning against the rear valve cover underneath the strut tower brace.   This made option 2 better.  "But wait, ticketmagnet, won't a stainless steel dipstick destroy my drill bits?"   My preferred (i.e. cheap and easy) method is to grab a masonry bit and sharpen it (by hand, as you would with a regular drill bit).  Masonry bits are cheap and have thick carbide tips, so they are hard enough to cut the stainless.  Since the smallest masonry bits are probably bigger than the roll pin, just drill most of the way through and open it up from the backside with a punch, like this:

PICT0201.jpg

With 5/8" taken out of the dipstick, it now fits in the tube without bottoming out and sort-of-kind-of correlates to the original dipstick.

PICT0202.jpg

An air chisel rips that mounting bracket off in a hurry but it can tear a hole in the tubing (oh, well, planning to weld anyway).  It would also work to cut off the original bracket - I didn't reuse it after all and made a new one to mount the tube closer.  After a few tacked trials to locate the new bracket, it gets some paint:

PICT0203.jpg

Yeah, the piece of angle iron is ugly, but it's less butch than zip-ties.  The rear alternator bolt goes through the hole in this bracket and keeps the tube from backing out.

It fits like this installed:

PICT0204.jpg

There is just enough clearance to pull the dipstick out past the strut tower brace.  There is also enough room to put a funnel in the tube (where I can see!).

PICT0205.jpg

Edited by ticketmagnet, 20 June 2016 - 12:27 AM.

#2 Wildcat

Wildcat

Been There. Done That.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
  • First Name:
    Paul

Posted 03 July 2016 - 02:32 AM

Excellent detail and pics!

Was just telling the poor oil-changer guy trying to check my PS fluid about this mod. Had forgotten the application too though, so glad you put that info in there.

Thanks

Paul

#3 chuckross1957

chuckross1957

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationBuford, Ga

Posted 16 July 2016 - 10:53 PM

It is great that you posted this, I've seen a post in the past with a similar solution to this problem. I couldn't recall which forum I saw it on and I was unable to find it again. Maybe someone can find the GM part numbers for the parts required for the mod. It might require three separate part numbers to obtain the cap, tube, and rubber bushing. If you have the part numbers, you could inquire about cost and availability. With that information, you could make a determination on purchasing new parts or used parts from a salvage yard. I ran in to an issue like this when I was trying to obtain an angled oil cap extension that was used on some other Gm vehicles, but not the Regals. Finally I found the part and part number. As it turned out, the cost of the new one wasn't too expensive and it was available.

#4 ticketmagnet

ticketmagnet

Been There. Done That.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts
  • LocationMI
  • First Name:
    Luke

Posted 19 July 2016 - 05:51 PM

The dipstick is 26046100, but this is apparently included with the fill neck, 15132325.  Don't know where you get the rubber bushing from.  It might come with the pump or might not be listed in the GM charts.  If somebody orders the tube and gets the bushing please let us know.

I got my parts off eBay, just by shopping through for one that was complete with tube, dipstick and bushing.

Edited by ticketmagnet, 19 July 2016 - 06:11 PM.

#5 chuckross1957

chuckross1957

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationBuford, Ga

Posted 21 July 2016 - 07:53 PM

I was trying to find a part number for the rubber grommet, I didn't find a direct one. However, I found a number for a universal type of  pcv grommet , from the info and photos, it looks like it might be a match. It is listed to fit on valve covers of a lot of older GM vehicles. The part number is T4998 and it is listed as 3/4" ID and 1 1/4" OD. I measured the hole in the power steering reservoir and it is ~ 1 1/4" wide. I don't know what the diameter of the filler tube is. Interestingly this pcv grommet is listed to fit some GM valve covers as well as working on some Mopar vehicles. Since the original (used) grommet may not be available or damaged when purchasing a used filler tube and cap off Ebay, I'd like to find an affordable new grommet before starting the mod.

#6 ticketmagnet

ticketmagnet

Been There. Done That.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts
  • LocationMI
  • First Name:
    Luke

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:26 PM

I've had this modified fill tube/dipstick on eBay for over a month with no bids.  I'm surprised a GP or Regal owner doesn't want this, especially at less than I paid for parts.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142629141478

Edited by ticketmagnet, 18 December 2017 - 01:29 PM.

#7 Wildcat

Wildcat

Been There. Done That.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
  • First Name:
    Paul

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:07 AM

Maybe everybody is stalled out on their mods these days. I know I have been.

Seems to be a lot less steam here in the forum lately.

Good luck. I know it would just sit in my garage for awhile even though you can practically slap it right in. Probably takes longer to write about it than to fit it!

Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BoHeGeHa Dark Blue 2.1.1 © Thomas Yugar (Chemical Chaos)
Official upgrade for IPB 2.3.x © Michael ( Dev Fuse )
3.X © Upgrade by Dumbledore ( Tppskinning )