Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  alemstrom : (25 May 2017 - 05:21 PM)

;) happens, you should be able to edit your posts, I know I am able.

@  phi_alpha : (25 May 2017 - 01:18 PM)

i thought this was the search bar... im an idiot

@  phi_alpha : (25 May 2017 - 01:17 PM)

mach 1

@  alemstrom : (24 May 2017 - 01:43 PM)

Which GP forum? Clup GP?

@  Billycar11 : (17 May 2017 - 02:15 AM)

RIP Grand prix forums

@  alemstrom : (15 May 2017 - 12:01 AM)

Is this mic on. Test Test. How is everyone?!

@  Nateteo : (11 May 2017 - 12:19 AM)

So I found some Bonneville 16X7 webbed mags at my work.. Kinda rough. Has potential though.

@  Marchi1 : (21 April 2017 - 01:28 AM)

Whoa new guys....

@  jesman : (19 April 2017 - 01:24 PM)

random hello

@  BillyrayM : (19 April 2017 - 06:18 AM)

Any 1 on that can help me with my post?

@  BillyrayM : (17 April 2017 - 10:21 PM)

:sad-roulette:

@  Mitchell075 : (10 April 2017 - 03:39 AM)

Hey!

@  DunkinDomnuts : (07 April 2017 - 09:10 PM)

Hey guys long time no talk

@  Chrisolds : (03 April 2017 - 08:15 PM)

Thanks Dave, yeah I'm sure it is these people are just being annoying and I just wanted to let you know about it that's all. Thanks again

@  White Regal GS : (26 March 2017 - 06:00 PM)

Looking for a GSX grille for my 99

@  WildGS : (25 March 2017 - 06:01 AM)

not sure if I cleaned them all up or not...it's getting hard to keep up

@  Chrisolds : (25 March 2017 - 05:18 AM)

Haha this looks like a mess lol okay so no coy and paste it worked now just click on the blue link and you're good to go. Thanks Dave

@  Chrisolds : (25 March 2017 - 05:16 AM)

Copy and paste this link into your browser== http://www.regalgs.org/statuses/all/

@  Chrisolds : (25 March 2017 - 05:15 AM)

*it looks like part of it

@  Chrisolds : (25 March 2017 - 05:14 AM)

copy and paste the link I posted and use the second link I posted it should not have LINK behind the first one I wrote that but it looks likempart of it

Photo
- - - - -

My 03 Regal GS

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 shadowGS

shadowGS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:17 PM

Thought I'd post a pic of my Regal. It's dark otter/storm over gray leather. Non-sunroof, special option (ordered by US Gov. when new) car. It is in remarkably nice condition, and is my daily driver.

Motor and trans are stock, but I've updated the chassis to include what I consider to be all the best versions of parts from this shared GM platform. The handling is impressive. The Bilstein GXP struts (though expensive) are the single best modification, without question. Slightly firmer ride over smaller bumps and road ripples, but the Bilsteins offer much better control in difficult situations, especially at high speed on imperfect roads. No more float or vagueness whatsoever.

All modifications are brand new parts except for the calipers, which were from an 09 Impala with 9k miles, and wheels which were Craigslist units:

Impala SS twin-piston front calipers

9c1/SS front brake rotors OE GM
Stop Tech pads front and rear

GXP Bilstein struts front and rear

FE3 OE GS springs

9c1 strut mounts front and rear

9c1 lower control arms and ball joints

33mm Dorman front sway bar and stiffer rubber mounts

17" GXP double-spoke wheels with match-painted Buick Tri Shield center caps

Precision weighted alignment

35% window tint except windshield

I got all the new parts through Amazon or Rock Auto.

It drives like a new car. People who have ridden in this car can't believe it's a Buick as the chassis feedback and road-holding is vastly different than stock. Great car for sure, hope you guys like it.

Attached File  IMG_3277.JPG   150.69KB   1 downloads

#2 Loly

Loly

SHUTURPIEHOLE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,132 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ontario, CANADA
  • First Name:
    Gy

Posted 30 August 2016 - 10:52 PM

Looks great!

#3 Wildcat

Wildcat

Been There. Done That.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
  • First Name:
    Paul

Posted 09 September 2016 - 11:43 PM

Hey Shadow, nice ride for sure! Love the sun-roof delete!

Where did you find the struts? I only found one set (rear) of the standard Bilsteins. Did you find them new or used?

Paul

#4 shadowGS

shadowGS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:06 PM

Looks great!

Thanks!!

ey Shadow, nice ride for sure! Love the sun-roof delete!

Where did you find the struts? I only found one set (rear) of the standard Bilsteins. Did you find them new or used?

Paul

Paul,

Thanks! I like the car a lot. It definitely surprises a lot of folks.

I bought struts brand new (in the GM AC Delco box) Grand Prix GXP struts (GM part 505548 front, GM part 505549 rear) from Amazon, free shipping too. Trust me, those part numbers are Bilsteins. You could also order struts from the Buick Lacrosse Super (GM part 506682 front, GM part 506664 rear) which may have had slightly more sedate damping but was still a high performance strut. The parts were expensive, but since I did the work myself I saved a bunch of money on the whole package. I absolutely do not regret spending all that cash on the struts, it's totally transformed the car. If you get them and DON'T like them...I'll buy you a beer!

NOTE: You will NOT need new bump stops for the Bilsteins, they are built into the strut itself. You'll notice also that the strut shaft diameter is way bigger than the OEM FE3 struts on the Regal. I was able to use original style strut boots (new), but if I could go back and do it again I would have just ordered the GM blue ones - they fasten differently and I had to get creative. The car did sit higher for several weeks but has settled, and looks normal to me now. Again, I can't say enough how much better the car feels. You'll notice the difference in the first 30 seconds you drive the car.

For giggles, I just checked and Amazon has the Lacrosse Super versions in stock for a REALLY good price right now. Like, half price. I'm almost tempted to buy them as spares...go get them!!

https://www.amazon.c...n/dp/B001SH2KL6

https://www.amazon.c...n/dp/B001SH6R2E

#5 Wildcat

Wildcat

Been There. Done That.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
  • First Name:
    Paul

Posted 15 September 2016 - 06:14 AM

Thanks for the links. At that price it's hard to stop myself, from experimenting. But I'm still going to stick with the ones I have for now.

Hmm, I wonder. If Bilstein was the OE supplier of Delco shocks in some instances, could my original '04 struts have been Bilstein models even if they didn't have the yellow paint? I always wondered about that but your links kind of reminded me.

Mine were definitely black basic looking struts, but they sure worked well. I would not even have thought of replacing them if they hadn't in fact just started to feel a little "old" towards the end.

Funny you mention the higher stance. When I installed the Bilsteins in the rear the height went up more than half an inch (looks like an inch!) with a full trunk load of crap that I always carry with me.

The difference between yours and mine though, is that more than a year later and it's still sitting high!

Kind of annoying actually, even though I shouldn't complain about it being able to carry a full load in the trunk without visible sag.

Thanks again for the details.

Paul

#6 shadowGS

shadowGS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 04:04 PM

Thanks for the links. At that price it's hard to stop myself, from experimenting. But I'm still going to stick with the ones I have for now.

Hmm, I wonder. If Bilstein was the OE supplier of Delco shocks in some instances, could my original '04 struts have been Bilstein models even if they didn't have the yellow paint? I always wondered about that but your links kind of reminded me.

Mine were definitely black basic looking struts, but they sure worked well. I would not even have thought of replacing them if they hadn't in fact just started to feel a little "old" towards the end.

Funny you mention the higher stance. When I installed the Bilsteins in the rear the height went up more than half an inch (looks like an inch!) with a full trunk load of crap that I always carry with me.

The difference between yours and mine though, is that more than a year later and it's still sitting high!

Kind of annoying actually, even though I shouldn't complain about it being able to carry a full load in the trunk without visible sag.

Thanks again for the details.

Paul

Paul,

You're welcome. Hope you change your mind :)

During my initial search, I spoke several times with Bilstein reps and each person I spoke with was helpful. According to Bilstein, all of their products have a Bilstein part number on a foil sticker not easily removed or stamped/cast into the part. Also according to Bilstein, no Regal ever came with Bilsteins, so to answer your question, no, your car would not have had Bilsteins (my FE3 struts certainly did not have a Bilstein part number anywhere). My limited research suggests the only cars that had OEM Bilstein on this platform were the GXP Grand Prix and the Lacrosse Super. 

There were also "aftermarket" fitment Bilstein struts available for these cars as an "HD" strut, and those are the ones that have been out of production for some time. I have no data from Bilstein or otherwise to suggest what the actual differences are. If I were to speculate, I'd wager that the HD aftermarket struts are most aggressive, then GXP, then Lacrosse Super.

I considered running the 9C1 Impala struts and springs when I couldn't find the HD units (they're way cheaper), but I'm very happy with the GXP units.

And, with regard to the ride height, I'll clarify my previous post: after installing the struts, the car sat noticeably higher. The car has now settled a bit but still sits higher than with the original struts. I don't know if I can attribute this to a gas charge in the strut or a possible difference in the spring perch location, or a firmer non-sagging, strut mount, etc. etc. Going back to the Bilstein-rep discussions - the strut is designed to be run in an OEM ride height (i.e. non-lowered!) position for optimum performance. The damper tuning that Bilstein and GM did for these units is way above my pay grade so I've set up the car in what Bilstein, GM, and I might consider as "proper."

I consider my Regal to have plenty of power, so I focused on the brakes and chassis to get more out of the platform generally. With the RS-A pursuit tires (stiff sidewall!) I've run nose-to-tail up medium-speed mountain passes with a Porsche Boxster. Needless to say, the driver of the Boxster was very surprised. The long 2nd gear in the Regal coupled with the linear torque band made for awesome 40-85 mph carving. Acceleration was nearly identical, braking was very close (he was not threshold braking), and the roadholding on the mid-speed corners was very close - it was a lot of fun. I won't make claims that the Regal was as fun behind the wheel, but it was certainly more fun to go that fast in a Regal while breathing down a Porsche's neck! Nice guy and we had a good time. 

#7 Wildcat

Wildcat

Been There. Done That.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
  • First Name:
    Paul

Posted 15 September 2016 - 05:41 PM

Have done the same thing on the local Peninsula mountain roads here south of San Francisco. Lots of fun and a real eye-opener for the hi-po or super handling car guys.

Not that I'd expect to be a race winner overall with some of them, but our GS' can certainly hold their own to a high level.

Good to have your feedback and details.

Paul

#8 99screaminregal

99screaminregal

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationNewark, Ohio
  • First Name:
    Isaac

Posted 10 October 2016 - 02:27 AM

Love the color combo. Very nice looking Regal!

#9 98 regal gs

98 regal gs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationLockport, N.Y.
  • First Name:
    Scott

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:22 PM

I have the same color combo...mine is stock and needs to be detailed in and out, and a few interior pieces replaced. I love your car, especially the rims, and all of the upgrades!! I had a 98 green and gray, new one is 02...probably should change user name if I can...lol

Edited by 98 regal gs, 13 April 2017 - 07:24 PM.

#10 shadowGS

shadowGS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:30 PM

I have the same color combo...mine is stock and needs to be detailed in and out, and a few interior pieces replaced. I love your car, especially the rims, and all of the upgrades!! I had a 98 green and gray, new one is 02...probably should change user name if I can...lol

Thanks! It's a great color combo. Stealthy.

I've recently done a bunch of maintenance on the car - motor mount uppers and lower, trans mount, serpentine belt and supercharger belt, all the idlers, rad hoses, new Dexcool, power steering fluid evac/change. Itching to get the summer tires back on - currently sitting on my winter set.

Go fast with class!

Attached Files

#11 Marchi1

Marchi1

Official RegalGS.org Flagship Car Owner

• Forum Moderator
  • 5,030 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:55 AM

Good start to a "fairly" rare color.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BoHeGeHa Dark Blue 2.1.1 © Thomas Yugar (Chemical Chaos)
Official upgrade for IPB 2.3.x © Michael ( Dev Fuse )
3.X © Upgrade by Dumbledore ( Tppskinning )