Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  NKmssin3 : (07 May 2018 - 09:38 PM)

Hey Folks, I have a move happening and I have a sealed 5-gallon can of Renegade Pro 1 Methanol that I cannot take with me. Is anyone near the Orlando area interested?

@  phcdsqu : (06 May 2018 - 11:13 PM)

Wow, been a while since I logged in here...

@  ejguillot : (19 March 2018 - 02:10 AM)

Checking in here, because I will never use Facebook. :ph34r:

@  marcleach75 : (01 March 2018 - 06:13 AM)

Pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon, Manny Mota.

@  WildGS : (01 March 2018 - 03:56 AM)

echo....echo...echo.....

@  marcleach75 : (13 February 2018 - 05:08 AM)

Listening to PUTS, miss these dudes/

@  2000GSEDUDE : (13 January 2018 - 03:50 AM)

really would like a gsx grille or spoiler about now...

@  Mitchell075 : (08 January 2018 - 05:28 AM)

Nuh uh

@  2001GSREGAL : (06 January 2018 - 04:14 AM)

WOW this place is dead.

@  scottydoggs98 : (26 December 2017 - 06:02 PM)

its back, but a .com now

@  scottydoggs98 : (26 December 2017 - 06:02 PM)

http://www.grandprixforums.com/mgc_cb_evo.php?do=view_chatbox

@  Billycar11 : (24 December 2017 - 09:34 AM)

going to miss all that info on gpf but then again https://web.archive....dprixforums.net most stuff is missing though

@  Billycar11 : (24 December 2017 - 09:30 AM)

so is the new place for wbody stuff or ?

@  cheatah fahe... : (19 December 2017 - 02:13 AM)

buuck531

@  cheatah fahe... : (19 December 2017 - 02:13 AM)

make a new account Buck ?

@  buck531 : (19 December 2017 - 12:50 AM)

Meh can't sign into wbody.com used an old email that I don't have access to anymore.

@  ithurtz : (17 December 2017 - 03:01 AM)

junk

@  scottydoggs98 : (17 December 2017 - 12:21 AM)

only hear it when the wheels spin free, dead stop, or rolling spinning, same sound. not a single rattle or any thing else, as long as they dont spin

@  scottydoggs98 : (17 December 2017 - 12:21 AM)

@  scottydoggs98 : (17 December 2017 - 12:20 AM)

yup, no idea wtf that sound it.

Photo
- - - - -

Caliper Bolt Confusion

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GS Convert

GS Convert

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN
  • First Name:
    Andrew

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:47 AM

So as I was driving home last week in the bitterly cold midwest, there came  a strange noise from my wheel well.  The drama ended after a few seconds, and everything seemed fine, until I stopped at the next light and felt a grinding from my drivers side front brake.  Got home and after removing the wheel discovered the lower mounting bolt for the caliper was absent.  Likely trying to hitch a ride to a warmer climate without road salt.  I work late and no dealerships or parts stores were open, so I hit Amazon and Rock Auto.  Found "Front Disk Brake Caliper Anchor Bolts" and the part numbers matched Rock Auto's for Caliper Bracket Mounting Bolts so I ordered the last set of 2 which arrived yesterday.  They fit, but lacked the large bushing of the upper bolt.  After tightening, they ran right into the rotor, freezing the wheel in place.  I'd like to say I figured this out before I tried a test drive, but at least I didn't force the matter.  Upon examining the hub, and the opposite side to be sure, I was rather irritated, and went to the internet to find a solution.  Watched a few brake videos (again) and saw footage of bolts with and without the bushing.  After diving deeper into the GM parts catalog, I found that I apparently need GM part #11519132, and not GM #19338582.  Amazon has these too, but I'm gun shy at this point, so I'll try the dealership on Monday.  After reading some horror stories on the internet about those bolts falling out and causing all sorts of carnage, I still feel fortunate that it just jumped ship and bounced around my wheel well without any obvious harm.  But I also saw a post on this forum about using thread locker or anti seize on these bolts, and I assure you I'll be using the former from now on.  I did my front brakes this year, but about 6 months ago.  So I'll blame the sub zero wind chills for maybe loosening things enough to cause the issue.  Including a pic of the differing bolts.  Drive safe everyone.  

Attached File  0107180126_resized.jpg   170.48KB   0 downloads

#2 Wildcat

Wildcat

Been There. Done That.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
  • First Name:
    Paul

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:34 AM

Interesting. Don't think mine have those bushings. But I did get some sort of sleeve to use my original bolts (if I remember this correctly?) in the larger caliper brackets for the big brakes.

Be interesting to find out if the caliper brackets on these cars are also of two types.

Glad you got it figured out. Hope the dealer has what you need.

Paul

#3 Wildcat

Wildcat

Been There. Done That.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
  • First Name:
    Paul

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:35 AM

Oh, and though I've never had any come loose, it looks like I'll be using some thread-locker as well next time I have them apart!

Thanks

Paul

#4 OhMyGS

OhMyGS

RGS.org VIP Server Upgrade supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,730 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois
  • First Name:
    Alan

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:15 PM

I had that happen on my Aurora. Car could backup but would not roll forward because the caliper would bind against the rim. Thread-locker for sure.

And yes, you need that bushing. I have some on old calipers that are laying in the scrap pile if you want them.

#5 tippietoejoe

tippietoejoe

Been There. Done That.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs
  • First Name:
    Derrick

Posted 08 January 2018 - 07:37 PM

Happy to see you caught it before something bad happened. I am using threaded sleeves on mine with some loctite. I thought people were using those helicoil inserts?

Edited by tippietoejoe, 08 January 2018 - 07:39 PM.

#6 GS Convert

GS Convert

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN
  • First Name:
    Andrew

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:10 AM

I had that happen on my Aurora. Car could backup but would not roll forward because the caliper would bind against the rim. Thread-locker for sure.

And yes, you need that bushing. I have some on old calipers that are laying in the scrap pile if you want them.

Thanks for the offer, fortunately while my local Buick dealer didn't have any, the neighboring Chevy dealer had exactly one.  The upper bolt was loose also, so I put blue locktite on them both.  Damages from this little incident are as follows.  One hole in the pinch seam channel from my jack due to internal corrosion which I discovered the night the bolt fell out, and a circular dimple in my brake rotor from the first bolt I ordered after tightening it down as far as possible before realizing it was too long.  Next time I'm at the pull-apart I may grab a couple extras if I can find any just in case.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BoHeGeHa Dark Blue 2.1.1 © Thomas Yugar (Chemical Chaos)
Official upgrade for IPB 2.3.x © Michael ( Dev Fuse )
3.X © Upgrade by Dumbledore ( Tppskinning )