Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  tpivette : (02 August 2018 - 01:08 AM)

Crazy, huh? I remember when I first got my GS in 2010 this place was a lot more active

@  Marchi1 : (30 July 2018 - 06:24 PM)

wow two weeks with no input

@  buck531 : (17 July 2018 - 01:15 AM)

ded

@  ejguillot : (12 July 2018 - 04:47 PM)

It is dead in here. Everyone on facebook?

@  M_Dogg : (03 July 2018 - 11:40 PM)

hello!!
echo
..echo
....echo

@  buck531 : (28 June 2018 - 01:37 PM)

this place is dead :(

@  keithr182 : (03 June 2018 - 07:13 PM)

Hey everyone. Just posted some parts for sale including a S2 IC if anyone is interested!

@  wq : (02 June 2018 - 04:46 PM)

p0171

@  jmaechtlen : (26 May 2018 - 04:34 AM)

fun, fun, fun

@  jmaechtlen : (26 May 2018 - 04:34 AM)

Still prepping the L67 for my Corvair project - cranks but no fuel pump

@  NKmssin3 : (07 May 2018 - 09:38 PM)

Hey Folks, I have a move happening and I have a sealed 5-gallon can of Renegade Pro 1 Methanol that I cannot take with me. Is anyone near the Orlando area interested?

@  phcdsqu : (06 May 2018 - 11:13 PM)

Wow, been a while since I logged in here...

@  ejguillot : (19 March 2018 - 02:10 AM)

Checking in here, because I will never use Facebook. :ph34r:

@  marcleach75 : (01 March 2018 - 06:13 AM)

Pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon, Manny Mota.

@  WildGS : (01 March 2018 - 03:56 AM)

echo....echo...echo.....

@  marcleach75 : (13 February 2018 - 05:08 AM)

Listening to PUTS, miss these dudes/

@  2000GSEDUDE : (13 January 2018 - 03:50 AM)

really would like a gsx grille or spoiler about now...

@  Mitchell075 : (08 January 2018 - 05:28 AM)

Nuh uh

@  2001GSREGAL : (06 January 2018 - 04:14 AM)

WOW this place is dead.

@  scottydoggs98 : (26 December 2017 - 06:02 PM)

its back, but a .com now

Photo
- - - - -

Issue on 1-2 shift under full boost

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 GS Dave

GS Dave

RGS.org VIP Server Upgrade supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 08 February 2018 - 03:15 PM

Not sure how to describe it, but here goes.  Under normal driving, the car is running like a champ, no issues at all.  But then this happens.  I will be trying to replicate it this weekend when I have some time.  Cruising in 3rd, and I get on it.  I get a skip shift down to 1st, no problems.  Car builds up a head of steam and I think when it tries to shift into 2nd, it feels like the whole car just hit a giant bolder.  I get off the gas, car just runs normal.  I am assuming this is a trans issue and will need to scan it and try to get some trans data.  It also might be a blower issue as it has had a whine to it that I can't pin down.

Car has a bunch of stuff.  TOGs, CAI, 1.8RR, pully, DHP, exhaust, Ported TB, MAP IC....I really hate the thought of this being the end of the 2000, I bought the sucker new in 2000.

Cant justify putting much money into the car.  Hopefully picking up an S5 Vert tomorrow to drown my sorrows.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Dave

#2 GS Dave

GS Dave

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:50 PM

OK, first off....picked up the S5 Vert, but I still have my sorrows.  Ran Torque Pro on the Regal yesterday.  Shift times look normal, KR, and Timing were fine.  Issue I observed....

Car was real sluggish over 4K RPM, took forever to reach shift RPM.  Boost maxed out around 8-8.5, I usually see about 10PSI.  I think this is now a blower issue or worse.  Any way to check to see if the boost bypass is functioning properly?  I have been having a strange whining noise, I think it may be blower bearings, any way to check that?

THanks,

Dave

#3 OhMyGS

OhMyGS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois
  • First Name:
    Alan

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:02 PM

I felt bad that no one answered this.  Others are way better than I at these issues.  I was going to question KR, but you answered that.  I think you can zip tie you boost bypass so it doesn't open.  Other thoughts:  exhaust blockage, PCV for that whining noise???

#4 b4black

b4black

Been There. Done That.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts
  • LocationAurora, IL
  • First Name:
    Rich

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:29 PM

High RPM, I start with ignition.  Time for new plugs?  (The gap has widen too much) 

Maybe the coils?

Edited by b4black, 12 February 2018 - 08:30 PM.

#5 GS Dave

GS Dave

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:48 PM

Thanks for the replies.  I didn't have any misfires registering, so I think I am probably good on coils and plugs, but the plugs are definitely overdue.  Exhaust is fine, no blockage unless there is a dead squirrel in there, but I think I would smell that.  ;)  I am thinking maybe the boost bypass isn't closing all the way.  I think I will try and break out the old autotap and scan the 02s.  If it is blower, would I be running rich due to less air being delivered? 

#6 Wildcat

Wildcat

Been There. Done That.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
  • First Name:
    Paul

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:43 PM

I thought the exhaust on the '03 LS was fine too. Until it just literally would not get out of it's own way even at lower rpm.

Even at that point I was skeptical and did not want to spend money on a  new CAT if not needed. Luckily I had a friendly exhaust guy that said he's check it out. Well, opened it up and a total clog job!

New CAT fixed it like new.

That said, some of your symptoms really don't sound all that much like an exhaust issue. Yet others still do to a point. At least not the same as mine was. But how did you check for exhaust blockage? I'd love to be able to test that more accurately next time without having to cut open the exhaust.

I could still feel what felt like "normal" flow out the tailpipe, even with the huge amount of blockage in the CAT that time.

Thanks

Paul

#7 GS Dave

GS Dave

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:54 PM

Hey Paul, there is nothing in my exhaust to clog.   :)

#8 Wildcat

Wildcat

Been There. Done That.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
  • First Name:
    Paul

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:31 AM

Haha! Ok, gotcha.

Easy to diagnose possible exhaust issues on your car then it sounds like.

Oh well. On to the next potential culprit then.

Paul

#9 Crazyguy03

Crazyguy03

Official RegalGS.org Flagship Car Owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,629 posts
  • LocationWNY

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:09 PM

Did you disable all the boost solenoid and run straight off vacuum ?

#10 GS Dave

GS Dave

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:38 PM

Did you disable all the boost solenoid and run straight off vacuum ?

Nope...I have no idea how to do this.  lol But it sounds like a plan.

#11 Crazyguy03

Crazyguy03

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,629 posts
  • LocationWNY

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:17 PM

Torque management also has a 10 second boot timer. I disabled that first

#12 Crazyguy03

Crazyguy03

• Members
  • 8,629 posts
  • LocationWNY

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:52 PM

But mostly just eliminate that solendoid and then nothing will affect that bbv. I unplugged it and then eventually removed it from the harness. Waited for the “turbo boost” code to pop. Then removed the code. Now nothing will interfere with the boost
Still not to say this is your problem but I had s YouTube video showing my bbv moving in and out with that crap hooked up for no reason. Drove me nuts figuring it so off it went

#13 GS Dave

GS Dave

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 19 February 2018 - 04:09 PM

Thanks, I will try that.  Pulled the plugs and the damn things looked excellent.  All six were close in gap to what I run, about .055.  One or two might have been at .057 or so.  I can't remember the last time I changed them, but they could have real low mileage on them since I hardly drive the car.  Also changed the fuel filter, mostly because I was telling my nephew about the punch yourself in the face club.  He didn't join the club as we used some PB blaster and I don't think the old filter was really that old.  Car drives great except for the big problem. lol

I really am thinking this is a mechanical blower issue.  

When I couldn't replicate the scary problem of hitting a wall, boost was lower than normal, maxing our at maybe 8-8.5.  On one run, boost built normal and reached about 9.5 before the 1-2 shift when all hell broke loose.  loud bang, car felt like it hit a wall, and boost died.  Unfortunately, I forgot to bring the scanner.  I am hoping its a snout bearing issue.  Going to pull the belt and see if there is too much resistance or play.  I do have an extra snout, so I think next weekend will probably just swap it out and see what happens, going to throw in a new coupler in why I am at it.  .  After the big problem, the car ran perfect as long as I didn't go WOT.  I am pretty sure it isn't a trans issue.

I guess this would be a good time to learn HPTuners...or I could just use my old Autotap, ya, I am that old.

#14 tippietoejoe

tippietoejoe

Been There. Done That.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs
  • First Name:
    Derrick

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:17 AM

Because you are loosing boost on the top end the first thing I would check is for a vac leak. Not to say this is an issue but, its a simple check.....you could take the belt off the car and run with out the super charger if you think there is an issues with the snout bearing or sc internals........is it possible the belt is slipping? if the belt is slipping and then catches that could cause a bang like effect not so much the other symptoms you are experiencing but its possible.....I assume you have a DHP as you speak about scanning? I would check your kpa or boost cells and then check the mpc or cylinder volume when this happens.....if there is a drop and then spike this could mean blower or boost or possible vac leak.......has anything changed mod wise and the tune was not calibrated for it?....like boost and fueling?....if it is a "slippage" that sounds to me like a trans.....have you tested up shifting manually?....Rob has a great point check out the trq management that and AE to PE shifting was kicking my ass last year.....(still not sure if I over came that but we will see in the spring).....if manual shifting works then I would focus on your tune....If your running a dhp and can scan it would be cool to see what your timing, afr, boost and everything is doing while this is all happening......it is interesting you have no KR during this....makes me think its a tune limiting you some how....if it were mechanical it seems like that violent of a shock would cause something ya know......what gets me is how the boost as you say dies....seems that if it were the bearing or snout it would create this effect more often?...I have never had one go out so I can not say what it is like but seems to me that 1-2 psi wouldnt create a violent wall hitting act like you are describing....thats why I was asking if there is a slippage.....maybe the blower violently activating after a slip like lets say 3000 rpm could cause your boost to spike but the real issue would be your pcm trying to match the spike with fuel and timing.....your scans should show this spike......I hope any of this helps cause I know how frustrating it can be.

Edited by tippietoejoe, 20 February 2018 - 09:51 AM.

#15 GS Dave

GS Dave

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:07 PM

Thanks Derrick,  Nothing has changed in the tune and I haven't added any mods.  The tune is a canned DHP....actually, I was the beta tune for the Regal platform way back in the day.  I have HP Tuners but haven't figured out how to use it.  I guess this is a good time to start, or just use autotap for a basic scan.  I will try running it without the belt and see if the problem persists.  I think manually shifting is also a good idea.  I will try it all this weekend.  

Thanks again to everyone, I am glad this forum is still alive, even if its on life support.  ;)

#16 GS Dave

GS Dave

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:36 PM

Update again.  Took the belt off and the car ran well.  I tried to replicate the problem with about 6 or 7 WOT runs to the 1-2 shift.  The car seemed to build rpm fine and didn't experience any issues.  I have a spare snout so I figured I would swap it out.  Introduced my nephew to the smell of used supercharger oil.  I told him to take a big whiff, and he did.  He said it smelled like rabid raccoon poo.  lol  Anyway, with snout removed I turned the blower by hand and kept feeling it catch.  Not sure of that means anything or not.  I think the rotor pack was pulled out just a hair.  Not sure if that would cause it.  Anyway, I swapped on the other snout that had a larger pulley, I think a 3.5 or so.  Tried to replicate the problem, and it did not happen until about the 5th try.  It wasn't as violent or loud as with the smaller pulley.  Thinking of just swapping on a ported blower and seeing if that is it.  I am probably going to give the car to my nephew, so I want to at least getting it running well.  I think I need to buy a 3.8" pulley for it first. lol

#17 Crazyguy03

Crazyguy03

• Members
  • 8,629 posts
  • LocationWNY

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:45 PM

Do you have an intrcooler ?

#18 GS Dave

GS Dave

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:03 PM

Do you have an intrcooler ?

Yes, the old MAP one.  What are you thinking?

#19 Crazyguy03

Crazyguy03

• Members
  • 8,629 posts
  • LocationWNY

Posted 01 March 2018 - 01:04 AM

I just remember a buddy of mine having an issue with the the way the blower case and intercooler was torqued down. It caused the rotors in the sc case to bind. Just curious

#20 GS Dave

GS Dave

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:04 PM

I might just go to a pick a part this weekend, there is one local with a GS and the blower is $50.  Probably work the effort to swap it and see.  I hate just throwing parts at things, but if its cheap enough I guess its OK.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BoHeGeHa Dark Blue 2.1.1 © Thomas Yugar (Chemical Chaos)
Official upgrade for IPB 2.3.x © Michael ( Dev Fuse )
3.X © Upgrade by Dumbledore ( Tppskinning )