Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  WildGS : (15 November 2018 - 02:48 AM)

almost forgot about this place until the bill showed up....

@  marcleach75 : (24 October 2018 - 07:30 PM)

Are you sure it's the actuator not the vacuum line?

@  gumba : (23 October 2018 - 11:35 PM)

need help with blend door actuator is there one on the passenger side?

@  NohawkRob : (21 October 2018 - 12:21 PM)

transmission flush

@  marcleach75 : (19 October 2018 - 07:15 PM)

Who knows, people use apps nowadays. Not to many youngins use urls.

@  alemstrom : (08 October 2018 - 12:12 AM)

What's poppin! We don't know what to do to liven up the website!

@  steveyjr1982 : (01 October 2018 - 09:58 PM)

The majority of people on fb are annoying.

@  ejguillot : (21 September 2018 - 03:03 PM)

Agreed. I'd rather pay money to keep this site going than be on Facebook and having everything on there be used to make a buck for Zuck and company.

@  Vicious6 : (20 September 2018 - 01:48 PM)

We need to get this place moving again! Post link to this site on every social media site you know! Been around too long and we can't let it go down..........

@  Vicious6 : (20 September 2018 - 01:08 PM)

Seems everyone is too stressed to be online and worried about where their next meal is coming from! Rough times right now!

@  ejguillot : (14 September 2018 - 01:15 AM)

Still dead in here. Get off Facebook!

@  tpivette : (02 August 2018 - 01:08 AM)

Crazy, huh? I remember when I first got my GS in 2010 this place was a lot more active

@  Marchi1 : (30 July 2018 - 06:24 PM)

wow two weeks with no input

@  buck531 : (17 July 2018 - 01:15 AM)

ded

@  ejguillot : (12 July 2018 - 04:47 PM)

It is dead in here. Everyone on facebook?

@  M_Dogg : (03 July 2018 - 11:40 PM)

hello!!
echo
..echo
....echo

@  buck531 : (28 June 2018 - 01:37 PM)

this place is dead :(

@  keithr182 : (03 June 2018 - 07:13 PM)

Hey everyone. Just posted some parts for sale including a S2 IC if anyone is interested!

@  wq : (02 June 2018 - 04:46 PM)

p0171

@  jmaechtlen : (26 May 2018 - 04:34 AM)

fun, fun, fun

Photo
- - - - -

Monroe Quick Strut vs KYB Strut Plus

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 RegalRocket

RegalRocket

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI
  • First Name:
    Rick

Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:51 AM

I actually wanted to get KYB AGX adjustable struts for the front end of my 2002 Regal GS with 165K on it. However my mechanic does not want to do the spring compressor thing on a 16 year old car.  Says it can be dangerous. He recommended the Monroe Quick Sturt (#171661) for my car.  I am wondering if the KYB Strut plus (SR4002) would be a better choice? On Rock Auto the KYBs cost about $22 more each. I'm hoping someone will share some opinions here. 

I am probably different than most in that my main goal is super smooth ride.  The ONLY time I go fast is when I'm going in a straight line.  Does anybody know which of my 2 options would give a smoother ride?  

I am relatively happy with the way it rides right now with the OE on there.  I have recently done a number of things to the suspension because we are searching (unsuccessfully so far) for a annoying "Canuck"  or pop sound when turniung the wheel hard when going very slow or standing still. Here's what has been done so far:  steering shaft, Dorman Sway Bar that came with new link pins & bushings, lower motor mount, Tranny mount.  Of these repairs the only one that was a total waste was the steering shaft.  The old one was as good as new :-(   All of the other things needed to be done anyway. 

Our next best guess is possibly the strut mounts or the bearing in the strut mounts.   If that doesn't fix the Great "Canuck Mystery" then my mechanic's next guess it to replace the Rack & Pinion bushings.  That seems like a fairly big job so I am praying that the new struts cure the problem.

Does anyone else have any other ideas of what could be causing this?  2 different mechanics have checked down below & both say that everything seems solid now.

#2 OhMyGS

OhMyGS

RGS.org VIP Server Upgrade supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois
  • First Name:
    Alan

Posted 08 May 2018 - 01:42 PM

I would not worry about spring compressors on those struts.  I did my own when the car was 15 years old.  If you want a smooth ride, stick with OEM ride quality parts.

Sounds like your mechanic is guessing.  Find a shop with a lift that can keep all the weight on the suspension and turn the wheel while the mechanic's stethoscope can hear where the sound us coming from.  Some of these guys have a magnetic stethoscope that they attach near the problem area that Bluetooth's the sound back into the driver seat.  That way the diagnosis can be made while driving.

#3 RegalRocket

RegalRocket

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI
  • First Name:
    Rick

Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:59 PM

Thanks for your reply.  When you said that if I want a smooth ride I should stick with OEM quality parts did you mean that I should go with ACDelco parts or would either the Monroe Quick Strut or the KYB Strut Plus fit the bill for very smooth ride?  Both of those are advertised as being OEM quality but I do not know which of those 2 would provide the SMOOTHER ride.  I had heard that the ACDelco struts are actually made by Gabriel & supposedly not great quality but I do not know that for a fact.

And yes, you are correct: we are just guessing & throwing parts at the "Canuck" issue.  But so far the only wasted part was the steering shaft.  Everything else that has been replaced really needed to be done anyway. I'm old & can't do the work on the car plus I don't have the know-how to do most of it so I seek out back yard mechanics to help me out.  Both of the guys I have been using give me a GREAT deal on labor costs with me buying the parts.  But, no, neither of them is what you'd call a top tier, highly sophisticated mechanic. If the new strut mounts don't fix the issue it may be time for me to bite the bullet & pay through the nose to get the issue diagnosed at a stealership? (I hate that idea though)

Actually it is not necessary for the car to be moving to hear the canuck or pop noise.  Sitting still on dry pavement it can be made to happen by turning the wheel back & forth.  If the car is going more than 5 MPH it never happens.

#4 OhMyGS

OhMyGS

RGS.org VIP Server Upgrade supporter

• Members
  • 4,754 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois
  • First Name:
    Alan

Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:40 PM

For OEM, I mean either the ACDelco, Monroe Quick Strut, or the KYB Strut Plus.  They are listed as OEM as opposed to the KYB AGX or other sport/performance strut.

You should be able to find a good private shop to keep you out of the dealership. Lots of people out there that are good at suspension on these cars.  I'm leaning toward the strut mount/bearing.

#5 RegalRocket

RegalRocket

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI
  • First Name:
    Rick

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:42 AM

Thanks again for your reply & input. I think I'm finally understanding that OEM is what I really want.  I though the KYB AGX ajustables would be better thinking that setting 1 & 2 might be "softer" than original and setting 3 & 4 would be stiffer than original factory but after reading a bunch of posts here & elsewhere I get the impression that isn't how they work.  I think setting 1 is actually equal to OEM and setting 2 is slightly stiffer with settings 3 & 4 progressively stiffer yet. So I would have just set them to position 1 & left them there 99% of the time once the novelty of playing around with them wore off.

OK so now that I finally got that through my thick skull all I have to do is decide between Monroe Quick Strut & the KYB strut plus. Since they are both shooting for OEM ride I guess there would not be much difference between them as far as Smooth vs Stiff.  Before this week I never heard of KYB before but after much reading I get the impression that KYB has a very good reputation so I will probably order those unless someone chimes in with a reason that Monroe quick strut would be better.

My new mechanic will be happy that I am going the easy route rather than him having to screw around with spring compressors, etc.  I want to keep him happy cuz this guy is head & shoulders better than my previous mechanic (hack). Hopefully the time saved can be put toward figuring out what is wrong with my AC. It's getting to be that time of the year.

I sure hope the new strut mounts & bearings cure my elusive canuck sound.  Will report back along with a more complete list of the symptoms I noticed.  Maybe that can save someone else from heading in the wrong direction like we did.

#6 Fast86GN

Fast86GN

I Know Regals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts
  • LocationDallas,Texas
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:52 PM

What Alan said. lol

But if you have a mechanic that doesn't want to do the work and he is pushing a certain brand that you don't want  find another mechanic!

#7 RegalRocket

RegalRocket

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI
  • First Name:
    Rick

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:49 PM

Finding a new mechanic is like a box of chocolates.

I'm definitely not in the market for a different mechanic cuz the guy I currently have is FAR superior to my previous hack.   I may not know how to do this stuff on my own but I have held the flashlight for enough different guys over the years and I am pretty good at judging their abilities.  I'm thankful I found this new guy and it was quite by accident. Before I found this new guy I was driving around with my Dorman sway bar & my ZZP PLOG in my trunk for over a year cuz I had decided I was not going back to the previous hack.

BTW: Today I placed the order for the KYB "Strut Plus" units from RockAuto. After OhMyGS pointed out to me that I want the OEM type strut for the smooth ride I am seeking I realized that those were the better choice anyway. (and my new mechanic will be pleased.)  It's not so much that he was pushing any specific brand.  He just advised me to get a complete unit to avoid all the extra costs involved with getting the KYB AGX adjustables I wanted originally.

Edited by RegalRocket, 09 May 2018 - 10:53 PM.

#8 gojo83

gojo83

Contributing Member

• Members
  • 2,786 posts
  • LocationCheyenne WY
  • First Name:
    Greg

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:44 PM

Don't waste ur money on quickstruts. All the ones I've been around including the daily squeak,creak thunk and the boots have ripped. Ride quality isn't spectacular either. Buddy with a gp had same issues. Buy at ur own risk

#9 RegalRocket

RegalRocket

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI
  • First Name:
    Rick

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:32 AM

Well, that's bad news.  :(  The pair of KYB "strut plus" are sitting in my trunk waiting for my mechanic to have time to install them.

I assume you mean that the KYB "strut plus" would be in the same category as the term "quick strut"?

Edited by RegalRocket, 16 May 2018 - 05:34 AM.

#10 gojo83

gojo83

Contributing Member

• Members
  • 2,786 posts
  • LocationCheyenne WY
  • First Name:
    Greg

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:08 PM

I meant the monroe struts. Garbage

#11 RegalRocket

RegalRocket

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI
  • First Name:
    Rick

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:28 AM

Thanks for letting me know.  I misunderstood you.  Hopefully the KYB strut plus will be OK.

#12 RegalRocket

RegalRocket

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI
  • First Name:
    Rick

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:21 PM

Update:  OK, so my mechanic installed the KYB "strut plus" for me. Unfortunately that did not solve the ongoing Great Canuck Mystery. I recently watched a Youtube vid of a Century of the same vintage with what seems like my exact Canuck Noise problem.  The guy in that vid solved the problem by installing new inner & outer tie rods.  My mechanic feels it could be either the inners or the outers but also feels that it could be the Rack bushings or something internal in the Rack. So we decided to order a whole new (rebuilt) "Detroit Axle" Rack which comes with new inner tie rods already attached.  It was quite inexpensive @ $162 shipping included direct from Detroit Axle.  Also ordered the outer tie rod ends from Rock Auto. Might as well do ALL that stuff at once since doing any of them separately required an alignment afterward. Right now after doing the struts I can feel that it could use an alignment.

So how do I like my new KYB struts?  To sum it up in one word I would say "meh".  They definitely did not make the ride smoother but they also did not make it too much rougher either.  Right now it's probably a little bumpier than it was with my OE struts on there. Not too bad though. I was concerned that they might be a LOT bumpier.  According to my mechanic they may get a little smoother after a couple hundred miles of driving. We'll see. 

Looking forward to finally solving this stupid Canuck Mystery noise & getting it aligned.  Then it's onward to an even bigger project that has been on the back burner ( rear valve cover gaskets & a whole bunch of other things that might as well get replaced at the same time since coolant is out of there like water pump, Aluminum Elbows to replace plastic ones, main belt tensioner, etc, radiator hoses & INSTALL my new ZZP PLOG.)

#13 Wildcat

Wildcat

Been There. Done That.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
  • First Name:
    Paul

Posted 03 June 2018 - 06:50 PM

Similar experience with the AGX here.

I actually do like them a lot. I just liked the factory struts on my '04 better. Slightly better ride, and equal cornering to the AGX on setting #2

On #1 they're closer in ride to the stock ones, but a tad too soft for my tastes. The second setting seemed good, so I have not tried the others.

Sorry you didn't find your calunk yet. Keep us updated on what it turns out to be.

Paul

#14 RegalRocket

RegalRocket

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI
  • First Name:
    Rick

Posted 04 June 2018 - 03:06 AM

If I had gotten the AGX then I'm sure I would be using them on the #1 setting for the smoothest possible ride. What I have now is probably similar to your #2 setting.  A little too stiff for my liking.  Oh well.....Maybe I will like them better after I get the alignment.

When you got the AGX did you reuse your OE springs?

Yes, I will come back & inform everyone of the result after this next round of work which I HOPE might happen within the next week or so.  Of course this next round of work is replacing the rack, inner & outer tie rods so we won't really know the exact culprit unless we find something that was obviously loose.  I sure hope this finally solves my annoying canuck issue. I'm running out of things to replace & also the money to do so.

Edited by RegalRocket, 04 June 2018 - 03:20 AM.

#15 Wildcat

Wildcat

Been There. Done That.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
  • First Name:
    Paul

Posted 04 June 2018 - 03:43 PM

Yes, both front AGX and rear Bilstein are sporting the original springs still. I would have liked to lower it slightly (and a member here had the old GM Performance Products Koni version for sale at the time too) but felt at the time that I needed all the trunk capacity I could retain.

Now I wish I'd lowered it that little bit.

In fact, for some reason the rear now sits much higher even fully loaded. Strange since the springs are the same, so the only explanations I could think of were that somehow the suspension and bushings are slightly tensioned from being tightened up on the rack, OR that the Bilstein shock gas pressure is so high that it's actually preloading the suspension a bit.

I used to not think that was possible, but have learned over the years that some gas shocks can in fact lift a light vehicle and hold it up falsely high. Used to find that with customer's trucks (especially the lighter Toyotas) when retrofitting KYB Gas-a-just shocks to the rear. With an empty bed they would net a 1.5" lift just from the shocks!

Anyway, long way of saying, yes, I kept the springs.

If you are interested in a different stance, there are listings here on the forums for factory springs that will do a nice job. Oldsmobile, Pontiac, and I believe the Police Package springs from the Impala.

Paul

#16 RegalRocket

RegalRocket

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI
  • First Name:
    Rick

Posted 14 June 2018 - 04:55 AM

OK, here's an update: The Great Canuck Mystery has finally been fixed.  We installed the new (rebuilt) rack from Detroit Axle which already had the inner tie rods attached. Also put on new outer tie rods. The Canuck issue went away.  Unfortunately I can't say for sure exactly which was the culprit. Inners, outers or the rack itself?  I don't know?  In the vid that i mentioned earlier in this thread the guy just replaced the inners & outers to remedy a Cunuck issue that seemed identical to mine. 

I will start a new topic in this handling/Suspension section to make it easier for others to find in the future. In there I will list all of the symptoms I can think of along with the cure & also the parts that were installed which did not fix the problem.

Now that the car has been aligned it feels super solid & I like the way it handles now a LOT. Chasing down this Canuck issue caused me to install quite a few suspension parts that did not cure the problem. However most of those new parts probably contributed to this super solid feeling that the car now has. The only thing that was a total waste of time and money was the steering shaft we installed a couple months ago. The OE shaft we took out of there felt exactly the same as the new Dorman shaft we installed. Anybody need an (apparently) perfectly good steering shaft with 165K miles on it?

Thanks to all who had input & made suggestions along the way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BoHeGeHa Dark Blue 2.1.1 © Thomas Yugar (Chemical Chaos)
Official upgrade for IPB 2.3.x © Michael ( Dev Fuse )
3.X © Upgrade by Dumbledore ( Tppskinning )