Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  WildGS : (15 November 2018 - 02:48 AM)

almost forgot about this place until the bill showed up....

@  marcleach75 : (24 October 2018 - 07:30 PM)

Are you sure it's the actuator not the vacuum line?

@  gumba : (23 October 2018 - 11:35 PM)

need help with blend door actuator is there one on the passenger side?

@  NohawkRob : (21 October 2018 - 12:21 PM)

transmission flush

@  marcleach75 : (19 October 2018 - 07:15 PM)

Who knows, people use apps nowadays. Not to many youngins use urls.

@  alemstrom : (08 October 2018 - 12:12 AM)

What's poppin! We don't know what to do to liven up the website!

@  steveyjr1982 : (01 October 2018 - 09:58 PM)

The majority of people on fb are annoying.

@  ejguillot : (21 September 2018 - 03:03 PM)

Agreed. I'd rather pay money to keep this site going than be on Facebook and having everything on there be used to make a buck for Zuck and company.

@  Vicious6 : (20 September 2018 - 01:48 PM)

We need to get this place moving again! Post link to this site on every social media site you know! Been around too long and we can't let it go down..........

@  Vicious6 : (20 September 2018 - 01:08 PM)

Seems everyone is too stressed to be online and worried about where their next meal is coming from! Rough times right now!

@  ejguillot : (14 September 2018 - 01:15 AM)

Still dead in here. Get off Facebook!

@  tpivette : (02 August 2018 - 01:08 AM)

Crazy, huh? I remember when I first got my GS in 2010 this place was a lot more active

@  Marchi1 : (30 July 2018 - 06:24 PM)

wow two weeks with no input

@  buck531 : (17 July 2018 - 01:15 AM)

ded

@  ejguillot : (12 July 2018 - 04:47 PM)

It is dead in here. Everyone on facebook?

@  M_Dogg : (03 July 2018 - 11:40 PM)

hello!!
echo
..echo
....echo

@  buck531 : (28 June 2018 - 01:37 PM)

this place is dead :(

@  keithr182 : (03 June 2018 - 07:13 PM)

Hey everyone. Just posted some parts for sale including a S2 IC if anyone is interested!

@  wq : (02 June 2018 - 04:46 PM)

p0171

@  jmaechtlen : (26 May 2018 - 04:34 AM)

fun, fun, fun

Photo
- - - - -

Rear Deck Speakers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RegalRocket

RegalRocket

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI
  • First Name:
    Rick

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:56 PM

So the rear deck speakers have been sounding pretty bad ever since I bought the car. Did a bunch of reading on here & elsewhere to see what I can do about the problem. 

I have an '02 Regal GS with 165K mi.  It has a Monsoon System.  I looked with a flashlight and there are 2 speakers under each grill in the back there. A 6 X 9 and a round 4" speaker under each grill.

I have read that it is typical for the 6X9 to be blown and many said that the 4" round speakers were just fine. I know that the 6X9 speakers would have to be 2 ohm and many people were happy with their Kappa Infinity 693.11i speakers.

I don't know much about audio so I figured I would get those Infinity 6X9's that everyone recommends.  I think I can get the seat out of there OK and change the speakers but I would really appreciate some help with these questions:

1. Is it likely that the 4" speakers will be OK and all I need are the 6X9 replacements? Or should I get some 4" speakers right away too? If so, what kind?  This will be a project for me so I don't want to have to rip the seat out of there twice.   Are the 4" speakers 2 ohm or 4 ohm? I read somewhere that they are 4 ohm.

2. What will I encounter as far as wires?  Will there just be 2 wires going to the 6 X 9's & 2 wires going to the 4" speakers?  OR 4 wires going to each?  I know that the new Infinity speakers just have place for 2 wires going in.

Here's another consideration:  I am not a big fan of a lot of Base.  Quite the opposite actually. I always tend to turn the base down & the Trebble up.  I read where some people advised installing the new Infinities in the place for the 6 X 9 speaker but then hook them up to the wires that are for the 4" speakers and just eliminate the 4" speakers. I liked this idea since I assume that the signal going to the 6X9 speakers would be mostly base??  Then I would just tape off the wires that had been for the old 6X9 speakers. Would this work OK?

I found a good deal for the 2 Infinity Kappa speakers that so many recommend but I don't want to pull the trigger on buying them til I know more about what I can expect.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

#2 Wildcat

Wildcat

Been There. Done That.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
  • First Name:
    Paul

Posted 03 June 2018 - 06:45 PM

Did you ever tackle the project? If so, how'd it come out?

I'm with you on the base issue. I'm a mid-range guy myself. Like to hear the music, but like to hear the voices too. Rock or any other type of music seems to benefit from more mid and high for my ears (and brain).

If the rear speakers sound bad, I would replace all four frankly. Even if the 4-inchers are just a small part of that, they're still a part. And I'm with you that I would not want to do it twice!

Been needing to sell my car to fund the Bronco addiction, but probably only going to sell the LS. Can't think of driving around in anything but the GS on a regular basis. And I've been driving some new and fancy cars too. Still like the interior and layout of the Buick.

Gotta' admit though, I like the quietness of the LX570 I get to borrow sometimes!

Think I'm going to do the speakers too, after I do the big brake fronts. Very interested to hear if you ended up with something you liked.

Paul

#3 RegalRocket

RegalRocket

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI
  • First Name:
    Rick

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:12 AM

I've got a couple other projects ongoing for this car so the speaker install is kinda on the back burner for now.

However, I did do a bunch of research since I originally posted & I also purchased 4 Infinity Kappa speakers for it.  Got a really good deal for them on Ebay.

I purchased two 693.11i for the rear deck and two 52.11i for the front doors.  All those speakers are 2 ohms and the grand total was $188 for all four with the shipping included.

Based on my research here is what I'm planning.  Keep in mind that I don't know diddly about audio so ~.......

Gonna put the 6 X 9's in the back in place of the original 6 X 9's.  Here's the tricky part.  My rear deck has 4 speakers.  Two 6 x 9 and two 4" mid range.  I am planning to eliminate the two 4" and use the wires that go to those 4" speakers to hook to my new Kappa 6X9's.  Reason being that supposedly the signal going to those is mid range.  I guess the signal going to the original 6 X 9's is mostly base or subwoofer signal. 

The complicating factor is that all the Monsoon speakers have 4 wires going to them.  The new speakers only have place to hook up 2 wires.  I'm gonna find someone who knows what they are doing to do the install since I'm clueless.  I will let you know if whoever I find agrees with the plan I mentioned above & how it all turns out.  Might be a while though since my other car projects are front burner issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BoHeGeHa Dark Blue 2.1.1 © Thomas Yugar (Chemical Chaos)
Official upgrade for IPB 2.3.x © Michael ( Dev Fuse )
3.X © Upgrade by Dumbledore ( Tppskinning )