Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  alemstrom : (08 October 2018 - 12:12 AM)

What's poppin! We don't know what to do to liven up the website!

@  steveyjr1982 : (01 October 2018 - 09:58 PM)

The majority of people on fb are annoying.

@  ejguillot : (21 September 2018 - 03:03 PM)

Agreed. I'd rather pay money to keep this site going than be on Facebook and having everything on there be used to make a buck for Zuck and company.

@  Vicious6 : (20 September 2018 - 01:48 PM)

We need to get this place moving again! Post link to this site on every social media site you know! Been around too long and we can't let it go down..........

@  Vicious6 : (20 September 2018 - 01:08 PM)

Seems everyone is too stressed to be online and worried about where their next meal is coming from! Rough times right now!

@  ejguillot : (14 September 2018 - 01:15 AM)

Still dead in here. Get off Facebook!

@  tpivette : (02 August 2018 - 01:08 AM)

Crazy, huh? I remember when I first got my GS in 2010 this place was a lot more active

@  Marchi1 : (30 July 2018 - 06:24 PM)

wow two weeks with no input

@  buck531 : (17 July 2018 - 01:15 AM)

ded

@  ejguillot : (12 July 2018 - 04:47 PM)

It is dead in here. Everyone on facebook?

@  M_Dogg : (03 July 2018 - 11:40 PM)

hello!!
echo
..echo
....echo

@  buck531 : (28 June 2018 - 01:37 PM)

this place is dead :(

@  keithr182 : (03 June 2018 - 07:13 PM)

Hey everyone. Just posted some parts for sale including a S2 IC if anyone is interested!

@  wq : (02 June 2018 - 04:46 PM)

p0171

@  jmaechtlen : (26 May 2018 - 04:34 AM)

fun, fun, fun

@  jmaechtlen : (26 May 2018 - 04:34 AM)

Still prepping the L67 for my Corvair project - cranks but no fuel pump

@  NKmssin3 : (07 May 2018 - 09:38 PM)

Hey Folks, I have a move happening and I have a sealed 5-gallon can of Renegade Pro 1 Methanol that I cannot take with me. Is anyone near the Orlando area interested?

@  phcdsqu : (06 May 2018 - 11:13 PM)

Wow, been a while since I logged in here...

@  ejguillot : (19 March 2018 - 02:10 AM)

Checking in here, because I will never use Facebook. :ph34r:

@  marcleach75 : (01 March 2018 - 06:13 AM)

Pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon, Manny Mota.

Photo
- - - - -

'02 Regal GS vs '89 Corvette?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 RegalRocket

RegalRocket

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI
  • First Name:
    Rick

Posted 29 May 2018 - 05:42 AM

So here's the question: Would I get my ass kicked by an '89 Corvette? 

A guy I know purchased an '89 corvette that has a nice body but needed to have the engine & Tranny rebuilt. He & his mechanic worked on it over the winter in their spare time.  It's all put together now & ready to roll. As far as I know they didn't do any speed mods so I assume it is more/less stock.

I have had a LOT of maintenance work done on my car but have not done all that much in the way of speed mods.  Here are the speed mods I have done though:

ZZP Downpipe to eliminate U bend.

I have a ZZP front PLOG that will be getting installed very soon (I hope).

Flipped the rubber bushings 90* inside the dog bone mounts.

180* T-stat

K&N air filter dropped into my stock air box.

Not a speed mod but I have changed the snout oil twice within the last 25K mi.

So after my front PLOG is installed would I stand a chance against his 'vette?  Or will he blow my doors off? OR close race?

To me my car seems REALLY fast but that's just relative to other cars I have driven...none of which were muscle machines.  I'm hoping that the new PLOG, will gain me almost as much extra HP as I got out of installing the downpipe. The downpipe made a NOTICABLE difference.

You may wonder why I don't just ask him to race to find out for myself. Well,......he's kind of a conceited know-it-all and I know he is gonna scoff & laugh at me for even suggesting that we should race so if I'm gonna get my ass kicked then I would rather just keep my mouth shut & not suggest any races.

#2 Fast86GN

Fast86GN

I Know Regals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts
  • LocationDallas,Texas
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 29 May 2018 - 07:25 PM

I think it would be a fairly even race, a lot depends on traction and who ever gets off the line first has the advantage.   The HP numbers for a stock 89 Vette is 240-250hp depending who you ask. Is the car a Auto or Stick?

Edited by Fast86GN, 29 May 2018 - 07:25 PM.

#3 GS Dave

GS Dave

RGS.org VIP Server Upgrade supporter

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 29 May 2018 - 08:06 PM

If you have a DP and plog, you should gut the airbox and could probably pulley down.   If you ran a 3.5 or 3.6 pulley you should take him as long as you keep the race short.  The longer the race, the more chance the Vette wins(light weight, better aero).

#4 OhMyGS

OhMyGS

RGS.org VIP Server Upgrade supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,745 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois
  • First Name:
    Alan

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:15 AM

The stock 1989 Corvette is listed as 14.42 in the quarter mile. When mine was headers, 3.5 pulley, and tune, I did a 14.0. It would be close if you had a few mods.

#5 RegalRocket

RegalRocket

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI
  • First Name:
    Rick

Posted 30 May 2018 - 01:24 PM

Thanks alot for the replies, guys.  I appreciate it.

@ GS Dave: Thanks for the advice.  I just recently spent quite a bit on maintenance issues and actually those projects are not all done yet.   I can only do very basic things to it myself so I have to pay for the parts plus the labor to install. (Old, bad back plus I lack the "know-how")  My claim to fame as a "mechanic" is that I successfully fixed the the dash lights & DIC lights by soldering in new resistors (thanks to info on this forum & very good Youtube Vids).  I SUCK at soldering & after doing it I figured there would be no way in hell it would work but much to my surprise they all work like brand new.

Installing the front PLOG is part of a much larger project that includes many things such as rear valve cover gasket, etc. Hoping to get that done soon. The guy who works on my car now is sometimes too busy.

Dropping to 3.5" pulley is on the way back burner for now.  Not sure if I will ever do that? Maybe I will wind up doing that AFTER I lose the race ;-)  You know how that goes.

Your other suggestion is something I have been thinking about doing or having done.  That is gut out the air box.  Is that something I might be able to do myself?  I've heard that mentioned many times in this forum.   I've looked high & low on Youtube for a decent vid but haven't run across one yet. 

@ Fast86GN:  I think it is automatic but not positive.  They stopped over here briefly with it the other day & it was pretty loud so they may have done some things to the exhaust that might make it faster.  Forgot to mention that. Sounds pretty mean. We didn't look under the hood either.  I probably should have asked him to pop the hood to see what I could see.  Also has brand new tires that look pretty impressive.

Yeah, I was thinking I should have the advantage off the line since my motor is over the driving wheels. I think he might be sittin still burning rubber? I'm pretty good at giving it just enough gas to get a slight chirp as I am taking off.

Maybe I will suggest a Zero to 70 MPH race.  That should give me a pretty good advantage. If we did Zero to 100 MPH he might win easily.  Thanks GS Dave for that insight.  I wouldn't have thought of that.

I know I should turn off my Traction Control by pushing the button.  I have also heard it mentioned that some guys pull a fuse to remove even more "layers" of Traction control?? If so, which fuse & is it next to glove box or under hood?

I will definitely come back here & let you guys know how it turns out.  It won't be happening for a while yet.  There are 2 separate projects that my mechanic will be doing for me "when he has time".  A month or 6 weeks might be optimistic?

#6 Fast86GN

Fast86GN

I Know Regals

• Members
  • 1,947 posts
  • LocationDallas,Texas
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:50 PM

You can look it up but I believe the Auto had different gears than the 6 spd.? The Auto would be a tad slower.  His stock Tq is 345 vs your 280 if he is stock... I believe I would look first. Loud exhaust doesn't mean that much to me (my GN is very quite :) ) but if he has a LS1 your goose would probably be cooked. He already has the weight advantage.

You should be on some sticky tires it makes a world of difference.  

Edited by Fast86GN, 30 May 2018 - 07:50 PM.

#7 Fast86GN

Fast86GN

I Know Regals

• Members
  • 1,947 posts
  • LocationDallas,Texas
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:53 PM

You need a little confidence do ya?  Check this out....     yeah yeah yeah I have posted it here before :)

Edited by Fast86GN, 30 May 2018 - 09:00 PM.

#8 RegalRocket

RegalRocket

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI
  • First Name:
    Rick

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:24 AM

Nice Video.  I had to look up what an LS1 engine was and I doubt it has that. I think it is just the stock engine that an '89 vette would come with. I guess 350 cu in = 5.7 L.   I remember him telling me that they bored out the cylinders but I wouldn't think that would make much difference in HP?   But, yeah, you're right.  If it had an LS1 engine then I'm sure I wouldn't stand a chance.

As far as my tires go: they are what they are & I can't afford to be making any changes there.  I have Michelin Defenders with about 35K miles on them.

BTW: Back in the day my brother-in-law owned a Grand National. He talks about that car frequently. I know he misses it.

#9 Fast86GN

Fast86GN

I Know Regals

• Members
  • 1,947 posts
  • LocationDallas,Texas
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:42 PM

Nice Video.  I had to look up what an LS1 engine was and I doubt it has that. I think it is just the stock engine that an '89 vette would come with. I guess 350 cu in = 5.7 L.   I remember him telling me that they bored out the cylinders but I wouldn't think that would make much difference in HP?   But, yeah, you're right.  If it had an LS1 engine then I'm sure I wouldn't stand a chance.

As far as my tires go: they are what they are & I can't afford to be making any changes there.  I have Michelin Defenders with about 35K miles on them.

BTW: Back in the day my brother-in-law owned a Grand National. He talks about that car frequently. I know he misses it.

The GN is something I will never sell. I have owned the car for almost 23 years now. 

Attached File  0216171335.jpg   113.27KB   0 downloads

#10 tpivette

tpivette

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Locationnewark, DE
  • First Name:
    Anthony

Posted 09 July 2018 - 04:06 PM

I had an ‘89 Vette (hence my user name) back in the early 2000s. In the right hands they could turn some good numbers. When it was bone stock, I ran 13.9 at 99mph. I could cut 1.9 60ft times on the stock tires.

I then added a catback, did some free mods, and added drag radials. I was then getting 1.7 60ft times and turning 13.2 at 104mph passes. This was all in good DA, however.

My own ‘97 GS ran a traction limited 14.1 at 97mph on a 2.3 60ft. This was with the airbox removed and an ebay 3” downpipe. Thats really close to what my stock ‘89 Vette ran. With the PLOG you plan on installing, I believe the performance between the 2 cars will be equal. As said above, it will all come down to who gets the better launch.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Edited by tpivette, 09 July 2018 - 04:07 PM.

#11 RegalRocket

RegalRocket

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI
  • First Name:
    Rick

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:04 AM

Thanks for your input tpivette.  Sounds like it will be a close race.  He does have nice looking tires on there.  I got a look see under his hood just the other day. Definitely the stock 350 that is normal but he said when the engine was rebuilt they bored it out a tad so he figured 356 cu in.   Like we had discussed earlier in this thread, in a long race like 1/4 mile he would probably beat me.  I think I will keep it down to 0---70 MPH.  That might give me the advantage?

I haven't mentioned the race idea to him yet cuz I still need to have a few things done to my car in addition to installing the PLOG. The main thing I need to get done is the rear valve cover gasket which is leaking. It really leaks when I floor it so I have been driving it gingerly for a while now. Haven't heard back from my mechanic lately after sending a couple texts.  I think maybe he's getting tired of working on my 16 year old car, or he's just busy doing other stuff. Not sure which.  I have started looking around for a different mechanic but I don't relish the idea of having someone work on it that I don't have confidence in. I'm still hoping to hear from my mechanic.

I will definitely report on how it goes when the race finally happens.   Might be a while yet though.

#12 tpivette

tpivette

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Locationnewark, DE
  • First Name:
    Anthony

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:14 AM

Its very hard to tell if he has the easy/free mods on his car if you're not familiar with the platform. Cut filter lid paired with a K&N are hard to see. An airfoil and ported TPI intake cannot be seen unless you take apart the intake. An AFPR is underneath the intake plenum. And a timing bump is invisible without a timing light. Those cheap mods + a catback and drag radials were enough to drop 7 tenths of a second off my quarter mile times. However, TPI cars are not good beyond 70mph... they're all about low end and the launch. It will pretty much fall on it's face after 2nd gear. The Buick is basically the same. Whomever gets the better launch will win this one.

Sounds like you need to start trying to turn some wrenches on your own, as your mechanic seems too busy to fit you into his schedule. Isn't the valve cover leak covered under a recall that's currently underway? I know I keep getting notices about it from my local Buick dealer, but as mine aren't leaking, I have no need to take it in for the service.

I am nearly done doing all the little fixes to get my 2005 Saab 9-3 back into service, and after that car is done I will begin working on the Buick to resurrect it. Hearing about your possible race has kind of gotten me fired up about my own car.

Edited by tpivette, 27 July 2018 - 12:16 AM.

#13 RegalRocket

RegalRocket

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI
  • First Name:
    Rick

Posted 27 July 2018 - 01:15 AM

I don't think he did any of those speed mods to his vette you mentioned other than the exhaust & nice new tires.

I WISH I could do my own work on the car but I can't.  I'm old with a bad back & I don't have the know-how required to dig in very deep. I do my own oil changes & all the simple stuff but that's about it. I have changed my own snout oil a couple times so far. I also fixed my dimmed out DIC & other dash lights by soldering in new resisters. Rear valve cover gasket is WAY over my head. I'm also scared to attempt installing the PLOG on my own.

The valve cover gasket recall you are referring to is for the FRONT (only) valve cover gasket. I had that done at the dealership even though the front one wasn't leaking at all. I tried to talk them into doing the rear (leaky) gasket for me instead but no dice, of course. So I wound up with a nice looking black valve cover on the front.

Still no reply back from my mechanic but the good news is that I hunted around & just recently found someone who I believe is VERY familiar with working on old Regals like mine. He has a full time job so he works on cars on the weekends. Hopefully he will be able to work on my car on one of the upcoming weekends. So there is light at the end of the tunnel.  Yeah, I'm very anxious to get this stuff done. The only time the rear valve cover spews oil is when I floor it so I have been driving it like the old grampa that I am. 

Edited by RegalRocket, 27 July 2018 - 01:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BoHeGeHa Dark Blue 2.1.1 © Thomas Yugar (Chemical Chaos)
Official upgrade for IPB 2.3.x © Michael ( Dev Fuse )
3.X © Upgrade by Dumbledore ( Tppskinning )