Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  ejguillot : (10 May 2020 - 10:43 PM)

Sweet!

@  dezldave961 : (07 May 2020 - 04:14 PM)

Got bored and started making build video...

@  dezldave961 : (04 May 2020 - 04:05 AM)

I need to hunt down the little black trim bar that's at the top edge of the GS rocker panel cover, for driver's side between rear door and wheel well.

@  ejguillot : (03 May 2020 - 02:42 AM)

I've been on there too. I hope this forum is kept open, there's too much info to allow it to be lost!

@  dezldave961 : (24 April 2020 - 10:25 PM)

I've been monitoring GrandPrixForums and 3800Pro (don't have FB)... also hopped on TurboBuick, but 99% GN chatter from boomers

@  ejguillot : (19 April 2020 - 02:33 PM)

Everyone at home, plenty of free time.

@  ejguillot : (19 April 2020 - 02:33 PM)

Nobody posting? Why not?

@  ejguillot : (27 March 2020 - 05:19 PM)

Congrats on the Comp G GTP!

@  crossout : (25 March 2020 - 05:49 PM)

Wow this thing has died off I just myself 05 Comp G 3 weeks ago way different than my 2000 regal gs that I had it rusted out to hell strunt towers. :D :D

@  dezldave961 : (20 March 2020 - 04:18 PM)

Pulled turbo engine, prepping MP112 setup... also doing some work-from-home stuff

@  tpivette : (19 March 2020 - 08:57 PM)

So far so good. Still working, fortunately.

@  ejguillot : (16 March 2020 - 03:46 PM)

how's everyone doing? With coronavirus and all that?

@  tpivette : (25 February 2020 - 02:35 AM)

Just got my GS back on the road. Wife is pressuring me to sell it... don't know if I want to or not

@  monte0 : (17 February 2020 - 05:04 AM)

Popped on to see how things are. Been a couple years...

@  ejguillot : (14 January 2020 - 10:36 PM)

Hope the new year is treating everyone well..

@  ejguillot : (16 December 2019 - 01:55 AM)

Hi all. Decade is coming to a close... I'm feeling a little old!

@  M_Dogg : (05 December 2019 - 11:20 PM)

Cheers!

@  ejguillot : (02 December 2019 - 01:13 AM)

Hi there. Some of us are working to keep these cars alive and running. Glad you had a good 15 year run.

@  opera_bob : (30 November 2019 - 08:39 AM)

Every time I see an Old Buick I have major respect for it. I know what kind of torque these cars make.

@  opera_bob : (30 November 2019 - 08:38 AM)

I sold my 2002 GS back in 2017. She was falling apart all over the place. So I sold her and bought a 2017 Focus RS in 2017.

Photo
- - - - -

Supercharger back to life.

supercharger anaerobic Eaton

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 GS Convert

GS Convert

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN
  • First Name:
    Andrew

Posted 29 October 2019 - 08:40 PM

So, it may seem very sacrilegious, but I've been running my 98 with the belt off the SC for about 2 years.  I've had issues keeping the oil in ever since I changed out the coupler several years ago, this will be I think the 4th time I've had it off.  First couple of times I blamed on using the wrong sealant, but using the correct red sealant it all leaked out after a 20 min drive. I also tried a reman snout from Ebay because I thought it might be leaking from the pulley seal.  So after that I basically gave up.  But now I've decided to give it another shot before winter sets in.  I have the proper oil and the blue anaerobic sealant from Auto Zone, I'm just wondering if there's anything I should know about after it's been sitting idle for so long.  The pulley still turns, however I can't get the fill plug out to suck out any remaining oil.  Figured I'd hit it with some penetrating oil from the back side after I took it off.  Any thoughts or ideas are welcome, I'll probably get started on it tomorrow morning although I'm working OT so I'm not rushing since I have an extra vehicle.  

#2 Fast86GN

Fast86GN

I Know Regals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts
  • LocationDallas,Texas
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 31 October 2019 - 01:21 PM

So you can't get the fill plug out to suck out any old oil, that means you can't fill it with new oil either. Is it cross threaded maybe?

#3 scottydoggs98

scottydoggs98

I Know Regals

• Members
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • First Name:
    scott

Posted 01 November 2019 - 09:50 PM

its a torx bit in a lot of them plugs, not a allen head.  after mine stripped out, i pounded a flat head screw driver into hex of the plug and then leaned on it hard and turned it with a large adjustable wrench on the screw driver. 

#4 GS Convert

GS Convert

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • First Name:
    Andrew

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:05 AM

Project didn't even start because my back and hip were killing me from having to wear a boot due to a broken foot lol.  I just figured the plug was seized from sitting that long with virtually no oil in the S/C.  Plan was to hit it from the inside after removal with some Gibbs or some type of penetrating oil, although I could try it from the outside and let it sit for half an hour as well.  It definitely isn't torx, but I wonder if the size wrench I was using was a little too small the first couple of times and now it's rounded out a little.  

#5 scottydoggs98

scottydoggs98

I Know Regals

• Members
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • First Name:
    scott

Posted 07 November 2019 - 11:27 AM

if you think its a allen....guess what, its a torx lol  try one, it will fit like never before. 

hope that foot feels better. thats got to suck. 

#6 Fast86GN

Fast86GN

I Know Regals

• Members
  • 2,215 posts
  • LocationDallas,Texas
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 11 November 2019 - 04:57 PM

Any updates?

#7 GS Convert

GS Convert

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • First Name:
    Andrew

Posted 18 December 2019 - 12:32 AM

No real updates yet, although I did finally get the boot off last week and also discovered I had purchased a new fill plug at some point and forgotten about it lol.  So I do have a replacement if I really tear the old one up.  Last week I decided to replace the dying stereo, and finally re-solder the resistors on the cluster board so I actually have an odometer and info display again for the first time in years.  I have fewer miles than I expected, 208k.  Last time I saw it I was at 193k.  Now I need to try to do the reset for the HVAC because apparently disconnecting the battery stuck my blend door with cold air on the drivers side for some reason.  

#8 scottydoggs98

scottydoggs98

I Know Regals

• Members
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • First Name:
    scott

Posted 19 December 2019 - 12:08 AM

you can pull the fuse for the cluster/hvac for a minute, then pop it back in fire up the car.  it should come back on set to 75 and and on auto. let it do it thing for a few minutes, then try to change the temp.  

if that dont work it might be time to buy new actuators. i got a pair last year off ra for 20 each. hot to cold has never worked so quickly as it does now. 

#9 OhMyGS

OhMyGS

RGS.org VIP Server Upgrade supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois
  • First Name:
    Alan

Posted 19 December 2019 - 03:50 AM

https://www.regalgs....e/?fromsearch=1

#10 GS Convert

GS Convert

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • First Name:
    Andrew

Posted 22 December 2019 - 01:18 AM

Yep, that did the trick.  Thanks for the link! I actually had to pull the drivers actuator about a month ago because the first really cold day we had here I had no heat on that side.  I used the replacement gear available on Amazon for $12 and it worked like a charm until I disconnected the battery last week lol.  I tried to do it in the parking garage at work but ended up pulling the wrong fuse.  Couldn't get the link to work because of all the concrete.  

#11 GS Convert

GS Convert

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • First Name:
    Andrew

Posted 06 January 2020 - 05:52 AM

Alright, it has begun!  Pulled the snout off tonight, still haven't got the plug out but I'm soaking it in PB overnight.  Maybe longer, since I tracked down the squeaking I've been hearing the last few weeks to my alternator.  I also don't like the way the main belt tensioner feels, so I will probably replace that pulley as well.  I replaced all the plastic pulleys several years ago with metal units from Rock Auto, so the tensioner pulleys are the last 2 original ones left.  Alternator is original as far as I can tell, so not surprised that needs replaced either.  My main concern now is that the remaining oil spilled all over the top of the block, and has pooled in various areas by the valve covers and such.  I've stuffing shop towels in everywhere I can reach with a screwdriver to try to soak it up, any thoughts on shooting some plastic safe parts cleaner in the various nooks and crannys to clean it out a bit?  I've always been leery of cleaning the engine overall, spraying water on something this old just seems like a bad idea even if I bagged the coil packs and fuse block.  Anyway, I'm likely going to order parts online so there may be a few days before I start putting everything back together.  I'll update as I work through the various issues.  

#12 ejguillot

ejguillot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • LocationTampa
  • First Name:
    Edwin

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:17 PM

Good luck, keep us posted.

#13 GS Convert

GS Convert

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • First Name:
    Andrew

Posted 09 January 2020 - 12:28 AM

Managed to get the plug out by pounding a torx into it lol. Although I checked the new one and it's definitely a hex head. Finally got all the parts today, for some reason UPS wouldn't leave the belts on the porch so had to pick them up at the closest store today. Probably going to attempt to put everything back together tonight after work. Still pretty grungy around the S/C but I've sopped up as much as I can. Gonna hit it with cleaner once more tonight before I put the snout back on.

Attached Files

#14 GS Convert

GS Convert

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • First Name:
    Andrew

Posted 09 January 2020 - 06:39 AM

Well, this is a first. Sometime between Sunday night and last night I've managed to lose one of the snout bolts. No idea where it is. I placed them in a neat pile on a shop towel with the long vertical one separate. Now I'm one short. I've had this thing apart 4 times, never lost anything until now. So any ideas on where to source one fast? Other than a junkyard? So far searching supercharger parts just gets me whole units or the internals. FML.

#15 scottydoggs98

scottydoggs98

I Know Regals

• Members
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • First Name:
    scott

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:42 PM

take one of the other bolts out, go to the hardware store and match up a new one.  

#16 GS Convert

GS Convert

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • First Name:
    Andrew

Posted 15 January 2020 - 04:52 AM

Finally completed. I had the bolt size from the dealer, although nobody in the city had one. I was reluctant to pull one of the others off, since I'd already sealed the snout and didn't realize until starting the last one that I was short. So, off to the hardware store I went, ended up with a close match, other than it being an allen head bolt lol. Oh well. It's in, and for the first time in years nothing leaked. The replacement plug was a little outsized too, but it didn't leak either so I'm calling it a win overall although it took twice as long as I'd planned. Now to get a leaky tire looked at and another rebalanced so I can actually go over 65. That's a whole other story. Thanks everyone for the help. Nice to be making boost again.

Attached Files

#17 GS Convert

GS Convert

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • First Name:
    Andrew

Posted 27 January 2020 - 03:26 AM

Took a peek under the hood today, and decided to check the oil level in the S/C. Looks lower than when I filled it, but I'll monitor it for now. I don't see any obvious oil anywhere, but this thing has leaked every time I've resealed it, so I wouldn't be surprised if it does it again. The current record is about 5 months before it's down to the lowest level and starts to sound like a rock tumbler.

#18 monte0

monte0

Contributing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationNY
  • First Name:
    Keith

Posted 17 February 2020 - 04:53 AM

Those snout plugs used to seize up a lot, had to heat a few of them over the years lightly to crack them. Good to hear you got yours out.

#19 ejguillot

ejguillot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • LocationTampa
  • First Name:
    Edwin

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:15 PM

I'll be working on my project car supercharger soon too - it has some rocking back and forth in the pulley.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: supercharger, anaerobic, Eaton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BoHeGeHa Dark Blue 2.1.1 © Thomas Yugar (Chemical Chaos)
Official upgrade for IPB 2.3.x © Michael ( Dev Fuse )
3.X © Upgrade by Dumbledore ( Tppskinning )