Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  M_Dogg : (05 December 2019 - 11:20 PM)

Cheers!

@  ejguillot : (02 December 2019 - 01:13 AM)

Hi there. Some of us are working to keep these cars alive and running. Glad you had a good 15 year run.

@  opera_bob : (30 November 2019 - 08:39 AM)

Every time I see an Old Buick I have major respect for it. I know what kind of torque these cars make.

@  opera_bob : (30 November 2019 - 08:38 AM)

I sold my 2002 GS back in 2017. She was falling apart all over the place. So I sold her and bought a 2017 Focus RS in 2017.

@  opera_bob : (30 November 2019 - 08:37 AM)

Hi Everybody.

@  ejguillot : (15 November 2019 - 08:19 PM)

Anybody get on here anymore?

@  ejguillot : (01 November 2019 - 02:23 AM)

It should be possible, you might want to get a surplus connector so you can hook the fan motor to a battery.

@  Greg2000GS : (01 November 2019 - 01:58 AM)

cooling fan suspect. Is there a way to test it by jumping connector?

@  Fast86GN : (31 October 2019 - 01:23 PM)

I'm here....

@  ejguillot : (27 October 2019 - 01:39 PM)

Let's try to bring this forum back to life a bit... I'll be on fairly often (now that my project Regal is seeing some progress).

@  ejguillot : (27 October 2019 - 01:38 PM)

Let

@  ejguillot : (01 October 2019 - 02:44 AM)

And I will have a 1999 GS transmission, about 140K miles, shift kit installed, available for sale soon. in Tampa FL.

@  ejguillot : (01 October 2019 - 02:20 AM)

Hi everyone. Still working on my project car GS.

@  alemstrom : (24 September 2019 - 04:36 PM)

It runs!

@  Fast86GN : (10 September 2019 - 03:11 PM)

Saw a few on FB 3800 marketplace

@  BigSexxyGS : (16 August 2019 - 02:08 PM)

Im here. Looking for a trans for a 2003 GS...Help!

@  NKmssin3 : (05 August 2019 - 11:20 PM)

I check back in on occasion to.

@  Crazyguy03 : (07 July 2019 - 07:50 PM)

Yes

@  tpivette : (05 July 2019 - 02:47 AM)

I stop back every once in a while

@  ejguillot : (30 June 2019 - 08:36 PM)

Wow, is anyone on anymore? Leave a shoutbox comment please!

Photo
- - - - -

Ignition switch symptoms

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Bumzag

Bumzag

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationNY
  • First Name:
    J

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:06 PM

Cars been running fine and starting normal after swapping fuel injectors. Lately however it hasn’t been starting. Thought it was the starter, swapped that out but it’s still doing the same thing.

I’m thinking it’s the ignition switch because the key inserts and turns fine, everything powers up when I go to start, there’s a click, and then nothing. If I wait a few minutes, some times a half hour, it starts just fine. Sometimes if I turn the key all way to the on position and then off 3-4 times, it’ll start up. Others, I have to wait

Does this sound like an ignition switch, a 2nd bad starter, or maybe an electrical issue killing my starters?

Thanks

#2 OhMyGS

OhMyGS

RGS.org VIP Server Upgrade supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,808 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois
  • First Name:
    Alan

Posted 08 November 2019 - 11:11 PM

Your battery has been tested to be good? All cables and connections are good, clean, and tight? To me your description sounds like a bad battery or bad connection.

#3 Bumzag

Bumzag

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationNY
  • First Name:
    J

Posted 08 November 2019 - 11:24 PM

I’ll have it tested and recheck connections but I tried jumping it once thinking that was it and it still wouldn’t start

#4 Fast86GN

Fast86GN

I Know Regals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • LocationDallas,Texas
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 11 November 2019 - 04:55 PM

I’ll have it tested and recheck connections but I tried jumping it once thinking that was it and it still wouldn’t start

If you have bad connections like OhMyGS said then it may not jump start. Did you get it checked out?

#5 ejguillot

ejguillot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationTampa
  • First Name:
    Edwin

Posted 16 November 2019 - 02:20 PM

As said by OhMyGS and Fast86GN, you'll want to verify that the wiring and connections are working as expected. 

As these cars age, I find the wiring does need some attention and remediation to prevent problems (replacing the black harness sleeves is a common thing, after 20 years of heat soaking the plastic crumbles like old crackers).

#6 Bumzag

Bumzag

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationNY
  • First Name:
    J

Posted 25 November 2019 - 01:04 AM

Car was running fine for a while, issue popped back up. Had the battery tested, all is well. The connections are clean and corrosion free. I swapped a few relays in the fuse box, the 3604’s, from the cooling fan slots to the ignition main and crank. The car started. Then I shut the car off, and it wouldn’t start. I’m having trouble believing the new starter is bad

#7 OhMyGS

OhMyGS

RGS.org VIP Server Upgrade supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,808 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois
  • First Name:
    Alan

Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:22 AM

Just for shits and giggles, get yourself a piece of 8 or 10 gauge wire. Connect the new wire between the negative battery post and the dogbone mount on the engine. See if that helps; at least it's cheap and easy.

#8 Bumzag

Bumzag

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationNY
  • First Name:
    J

Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:26 AM

You think it’s a ground issue? I was also gonna take some jumper cables and connect the positive to the starter solenoid to see if it’ll crank

#9 ejguillot

ejguillot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationTampa
  • First Name:
    Edwin

Posted 26 November 2019 - 04:14 AM

You can certainly do that.  It would be easier (and a better test) to connect the positive battery terminal to the solenoid terminal that engages the solenoid.

Regarding engine grounds, there is (or should be) a fairly substantial ground cable bolted from the negative battery terminal to the engine/trans bellhousing bolt nearest the starter.  There is also a smaller diameter ground cable from the negative terminal to the chassis (less than a foot run, ends more or less underneath the under hood fuse block).  The chassis connection for that cable on my Regal wasn't that good - I made and ran a cable from the negative terminal to the bolt on the chassis brace that runs over the battery.

Test the ground cable and positive cable (from battery to starter) this way (straight out of the FSM):

Measurements are engine off, all cables attached as normal.

Positive cable: With a meter, first measure the voltage between negative and positive terminals.  Then measure from negative terminal to the starter solenoid terminal that the positive cable attaches to.  The difference in the measurements should be less than 0.4 volts.

Ground cable: With a meter, first measure the voltage between negative and positive terminals.  Then measure from positive terminal to the engine block, then to a bare chassis point.  The difference in the measurements should be less than 0.4 volts.

Try that and let us know the result.

Edited by ejguillot, 05 December 2019 - 12:14 AM.

#10 Bumzag

Bumzag

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationNY
  • First Name:
    J

Posted 26 November 2019 - 11:20 AM

Everything you just said is incredibly useful, thank you. Will run through all of this soon and report back.

#11 Bumzag

Bumzag

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationNY
  • First Name:
    J

Posted 04 December 2019 - 06:59 PM

Finally got around to it; bolt for the ground wire off the negative terminal was rusted to hell, it snapped when trying to take it off. Got a self tapping screw, sanded next to the old bolt and attached the ground to the chassis, slapped some dielectric on it.

Seems to be starting now, but it still occasionally does the thing where it clicks once and then doesn’t turn over

#12 ejguillot

ejguillot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationTampa
  • First Name:
    Edwin

Posted 05 December 2019 - 02:14 AM

The one that ended underneath the fuse block?  That's the one that I found lacking.  Definitely consider running an additional ground from the chassis to the negative battery post.

#13 Bumzag

Bumzag

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationNY
  • First Name:
    J

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:01 AM

Yeah the short one beneath the fuse block. I’ll try running an additional ground

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BoHeGeHa Dark Blue 2.1.1 © Thomas Yugar (Chemical Chaos)
Official upgrade for IPB 2.3.x © Michael ( Dev Fuse )
3.X © Upgrade by Dumbledore ( Tppskinning )