Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  ejguillot : (27 March 2020 - 05:19 PM)

Congrats on the Comp G GTP!

@  crossout : (25 March 2020 - 05:49 PM)

Wow this thing has died off I just myself 05 Comp G 3 weeks ago way different than my 2000 regal gs that I had it rusted out to hell strunt towers. :D :D

@  dezldave961 : (20 March 2020 - 04:18 PM)

Pulled turbo engine, prepping MP112 setup... also doing some work-from-home stuff

@  tpivette : (19 March 2020 - 08:57 PM)

So far so good. Still working, fortunately.

@  ejguillot : (16 March 2020 - 03:46 PM)

how's everyone doing? With coronavirus and all that?

@  tpivette : (25 February 2020 - 02:35 AM)

Just got my GS back on the road. Wife is pressuring me to sell it... don't know if I want to or not

@  monte0 : (17 February 2020 - 05:04 AM)

Popped on to see how things are. Been a couple years...

@  ejguillot : (14 January 2020 - 10:36 PM)

Hope the new year is treating everyone well..

@  ejguillot : (16 December 2019 - 01:55 AM)

Hi all. Decade is coming to a close... I'm feeling a little old!

@  M_Dogg : (05 December 2019 - 11:20 PM)

Cheers!

@  ejguillot : (02 December 2019 - 01:13 AM)

Hi there. Some of us are working to keep these cars alive and running. Glad you had a good 15 year run.

@  opera_bob : (30 November 2019 - 08:39 AM)

Every time I see an Old Buick I have major respect for it. I know what kind of torque these cars make.

@  opera_bob : (30 November 2019 - 08:38 AM)

I sold my 2002 GS back in 2017. She was falling apart all over the place. So I sold her and bought a 2017 Focus RS in 2017.

@  opera_bob : (30 November 2019 - 08:37 AM)

Hi Everybody.

@  ejguillot : (15 November 2019 - 08:19 PM)

Anybody get on here anymore?

@  ejguillot : (01 November 2019 - 02:23 AM)

It should be possible, you might want to get a surplus connector so you can hook the fan motor to a battery.

@  Greg2000GS : (01 November 2019 - 01:58 AM)

cooling fan suspect. Is there a way to test it by jumping connector?

@  Fast86GN : (31 October 2019 - 01:23 PM)

I'm here....

@  ejguillot : (27 October 2019 - 01:39 PM)

Let's try to bring this forum back to life a bit... I'll be on fairly often (now that my project Regal is seeing some progress).

@  ejguillot : (27 October 2019 - 01:38 PM)

Let

Photo
- - - - -

Triple Edge no longer selling built transmissions?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tpivette

tpivette

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE
  • First Name:
    Anthony

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:46 PM

So I was looking into beefing up the trans eventually since the mods I am currently installing should get the car into the mid - low 13s. Everyone usually recommends Triple Edge Performance for one of their rebuilt transmissions to handle the additional power. Well, I went onto their website last night only to read a message stating that after March 31st 2020, they will no longer sell performance rebuilt transmissions. They will, however, continue to sell upgraded parts and rebuild kits for the do-it-yourselfer.

This is a bummer. Besides them, are there any other reputable builders of the 4T65 that would be comparable in performance and reliability? Or should one just purchase their rebuild kit + a single chain kit and input shaft and attempt to rebuild the trans yourself?

Btw, I posted this here since this section gets more “traffic”, and the trans sub-forum literally gets zero.

#2 OhMyGS

OhMyGS

RGS.org VIP Server Upgrade supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois
  • First Name:
    Alan

Posted 19 March 2020 - 12:10 AM

It also says order and pay by March 31st and you're good to go.

#3 tpivette

tpivette

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE
  • First Name:
    Anthony

Posted 19 March 2020 - 08:54 PM

Yeah, but I can't afford a $4000 transmission in the next 2 weeks. Like most browsing their website, I was just looking to see how much they cost, and when I was ready, would order one. Now that can't happen.

Edited by tpivette, 19 March 2020 - 08:55 PM.

#4 OhMyGS

OhMyGS

RGS.org VIP Server Upgrade supporter

• Members
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois
  • First Name:
    Alan

Posted 19 March 2020 - 11:29 PM

$4000?? Wow prices went way up. Mine was around $2300, but I brought my own hard parts for him to install. Maybe you could contact ZZP to see if they have a recommended shop.

#5 ejguillot

ejguillot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationTampa
  • First Name:
    Edwin

Posted 23 March 2020 - 08:00 PM

That's unfortunate that Triple Edge is getting out of the trans building business. There are few shops left that build these, and none I can think of that have the reputation Triple Edge has.

#6 Fast86GN

Fast86GN

I Know Regals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts
  • LocationDallas,Texas
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 30 March 2020 - 12:28 PM

If u have the right parts any reputable builder should be able to put it together? The guy I have build my trans in the GN I wouldn't hesitate to have him do it.

Edited by Fast86GN, 30 March 2020 - 12:28 PM.

#7 dezldave961

dezldave961

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationVA
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 30 March 2020 - 05:58 PM

If u have the right parts any reputable builder should be able to put it together? The guy I have build my trans in the GN I wouldn't hesitate to have him do it.

I agree, any shop that's been doing plenty of quality transmission work for years will be able to properly assemble a 4t65e with supplied upgrades that plug-n-play.

I'd be careful suggesting any ole person, just because they know how to assemble classic GM/Ford/etc. RWD transmissions in their sleep.  Not saying your specific shop is in that boat, just that there are plenty who do those builds perfectly fine, but introduce the nuances of a different valve body and FWD chain/diff/etc. components inside the project, and that's where a larger body of previous work helps tremendously.

The reason people were attracted to specific builders like Dynotech, ZZP's local builder, or TripleEdge was because there were so many failures from minor mistakes during the work, not integrating the new parts correctly, not applying the correct upgrades for the power, or just not really having the experience with 4t60/65's routinely before trying to build performance versions.

Personally, my dad built my Buick's transmission, but that's because he's been building racing transmissions for decades (1,000hp blown alcohol dragsters, circle track cars, mud drag trucks...) along with constantly rebuilding them for everyday street vehicles (Jeeps, Silverados, Grand Ams, F350's, minivans, my stock GTP trans...).  This meant that when I handed him a variety of parts: GMR 1" chain, Raybestos blue plates, ZZP & Intense hardened shafts..., he not only was familiar with the details of building that particular model, but also knew to replace various minor components and adapt things to ensure success.  This resulted in a transmission that still shifts as hard 50k later, after 20+ 11-sec track passes on slicks and thousands of WOT runs on the street.

TLDR: as he said above, any good shop with experience should be able to assemble a quality build for you. (I just felt like typing before making coffee)

#8 Fast86GN

Fast86GN

I Know Regals

• Members
  • 2,215 posts
  • LocationDallas,Texas
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 30 March 2020 - 06:20 PM

I do agree it can't be any shop that builds trannys. The guy that builds 200's for the GN understands the performance build, he may not have done one of these trannys but I bet he could.
Still do your homework before selecting someone to do the build. Good luck

#9 dlclarkii

dlclarkii

Contributing Member

• Members
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • First Name:
    David

Posted 31 March 2020 - 02:28 AM

The trans in your Silver LS

July 2007 Dynotech Hi-Pro Stage-2 Transmission Complete Overhaul Kit - Includes all new paper, rubber, Teflon, metal clad seals, and all necessary bushings. Borg Warner Bands & Clutches Dynotech Custom Clutch Packs - Custom stacking and configuration for the forward, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th clutch packs 4th Gear hardened clutch hub All new Solenoids Modified Torque Converter Clutch circuit - eliminates problem with converter locking and unlocking during cruise Late Style Valve Bodies - Rebuilt and utilize reinforced boost sleeve Shift Kit 300M Input Shaft 15/16ths Single 3.29 Drive Chain Diode Sprags Raybestos 3rd Gear Clutch Pack Dynotech Modified HD Differential Pro-Torque 3200 Stall Torque Converter (Previous Stock GT TC - S/C & ZZP 3750 Torque Converter - N/A

#10 Fast86GN

Fast86GN

I Know Regals

• Members
  • 2,215 posts
  • LocationDallas,Texas
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 31 March 2020 - 02:32 AM

Thanks Dave I appreciate the info. Soon it may have come out? The 1-2 shift is getting worse. Whenever it breaks it breaks. LoL I'll get it fixed then.

#11 dezldave961

dezldave961

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationVA
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 01 April 2020 - 02:55 PM

That's a good point.  Many of those Dynotech items included alot of Transtec fixes that came out as routine commuter failures happened.  I was happy to get their pro-tip on adding the dissimilar metal washer kit to Torsen diff planetary gears.  It's about making it last going fast, but also simply making it last, for sure.

torsendiffw-washerkits.jpg

Edited by dezldave961, 01 April 2020 - 02:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BoHeGeHa Dark Blue 2.1.1 © Thomas Yugar (Chemical Chaos)
Official upgrade for IPB 2.3.x © Michael ( Dev Fuse )
3.X © Upgrade by Dumbledore ( Tppskinning )