Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  ejguillot : (10 May 2020 - 10:43 PM)

Sweet!

@  dezldave961 : (07 May 2020 - 04:14 PM)

Got bored and started making build video...

@  dezldave961 : (04 May 2020 - 04:05 AM)

I need to hunt down the little black trim bar that's at the top edge of the GS rocker panel cover, for driver's side between rear door and wheel well.

@  ejguillot : (03 May 2020 - 02:42 AM)

I've been on there too. I hope this forum is kept open, there's too much info to allow it to be lost!

@  dezldave961 : (24 April 2020 - 10:25 PM)

I've been monitoring GrandPrixForums and 3800Pro (don't have FB)... also hopped on TurboBuick, but 99% GN chatter from boomers

@  ejguillot : (19 April 2020 - 02:33 PM)

Everyone at home, plenty of free time.

@  ejguillot : (19 April 2020 - 02:33 PM)

Nobody posting? Why not?

@  ejguillot : (27 March 2020 - 05:19 PM)

Congrats on the Comp G GTP!

@  crossout : (25 March 2020 - 05:49 PM)

Wow this thing has died off I just myself 05 Comp G 3 weeks ago way different than my 2000 regal gs that I had it rusted out to hell strunt towers. :D :D

@  dezldave961 : (20 March 2020 - 04:18 PM)

Pulled turbo engine, prepping MP112 setup... also doing some work-from-home stuff

@  tpivette : (19 March 2020 - 08:57 PM)

So far so good. Still working, fortunately.

@  ejguillot : (16 March 2020 - 03:46 PM)

how's everyone doing? With coronavirus and all that?

@  tpivette : (25 February 2020 - 02:35 AM)

Just got my GS back on the road. Wife is pressuring me to sell it... don't know if I want to or not

@  monte0 : (17 February 2020 - 05:04 AM)

Popped on to see how things are. Been a couple years...

@  ejguillot : (14 January 2020 - 10:36 PM)

Hope the new year is treating everyone well..

@  ejguillot : (16 December 2019 - 01:55 AM)

Hi all. Decade is coming to a close... I'm feeling a little old!

@  M_Dogg : (05 December 2019 - 11:20 PM)

Cheers!

@  ejguillot : (02 December 2019 - 01:13 AM)

Hi there. Some of us are working to keep these cars alive and running. Glad you had a good 15 year run.

@  opera_bob : (30 November 2019 - 08:39 AM)

Every time I see an Old Buick I have major respect for it. I know what kind of torque these cars make.

@  opera_bob : (30 November 2019 - 08:38 AM)

I sold my 2002 GS back in 2017. She was falling apart all over the place. So I sold her and bought a 2017 Focus RS in 2017.

Photo
- - - - -

Regal GS coolant leak from S/C

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 iTurbo

iTurbo

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationGillette, Wyoming
  • First Name:
    Jeremy

Posted 17 May 2020 - 06:46 PM

Hi all, I've got a 1998 Buick Regal GS that is leaking coolant. It looks like it's coming out from between the intake manifold and supercharger and puddling in the valley near the fuel injectors area. Is it common for these engines to develop a leak here? It doesn't look like the car is burning coolant or getting into the engine oil.

Will it just need a new gasket?

At any rate, I guess I'm not too bothered by having to do it since it will make it a little easier to do some other maintenance and finally install the ZZP 1.9 rockers while I'm at it.

#2 iTurbo

iTurbo

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • First Name:
    Jeremy

Posted 17 May 2020 - 07:46 PM

Also, I forgot to mention that I occasionally see that the coolant system appears to be somewhat pressurized - even when the car is cold in the morning. Sometimes when I remove the radiator cap (cold), coolant will gush out. Is it possible that the supercharger is leaking pressure into the cooling system?

For what it's worth, the car has been converted to regular green coolant and has a ZZP aluminum radiator (and cap) installed.

#3 ejguillot

ejguillot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationTampa
  • First Name:
    Edwin

Posted 19 May 2020 - 02:24 AM

If you haven't replaced the Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) gaskets, it's likely that there may be an issue there.  I've had a Regal GS since 2012, have read a lot of forum posts, and this is the first time I've read about a leak like yours.

I don't see how the supercharger would put pressure into the coolant system, even at peak boost the pressure is lower than the 15psi system cooling cap.

#4 iTurbo

iTurbo

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • First Name:
    Jeremy

Posted 19 May 2020 - 05:04 PM

Turns out you are right, it is the lower intake manifold gasket. I had to take the car to the car wash and blast the whole area clean in order to better see where the leak is originating. It is coming out right where the LIM meets the valve cover gasket adjacent to the fuel injectors. It is bad enough that coolant is pooling in the injector bungs after a day or two. So far I still don't see any coolant in the oil or any sign of it being burned off through the exhaust thankfully.

#5 ejguillot

ejguillot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationTampa
  • First Name:
    Edwin

Posted 22 May 2020 - 03:55 AM

Get it done as soon as practical, with that leak you're risking overheating, hydrolock, or oil contamination eventually.

While you're in there, not a bad time to do whatever upgrades involve taking the LIM off.  Enlarging the coolant passage on the throttle body side of the LIM comes to mind.  Reportedly (read it on grandprixforums.com) improves flow and if you block off the coolant flow to the TB (for an intercooler, spacer, or TB upgrade) it makes up for the shortfall, improving cooling to the rear cylinder head and lowering the possibility of detonation.

#6 dezldave961

dezldave961

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationVA
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 24 May 2020 - 12:40 AM

Also be sure to do fresh supercharger gasket and o-rings (or plug those w/ 1/4" NPT).  The OEM gaskets in this area took a beating and got re-designed.

Here's the coolant passage I just ported this month, not perfect but it'll help (behind cap with 8mm bolts):

2020-05-23%20-%20LIM%20coolant%20porting

https://oi223.photob...zps6denqrtb.jpg

(if that doesn't work, I'll host elsewhere)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BoHeGeHa Dark Blue 2.1.1 © Thomas Yugar (Chemical Chaos)
Official upgrade for IPB 2.3.x © Michael ( Dev Fuse )
3.X © Upgrade by Dumbledore ( Tppskinning )