Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  ejguillot : (20 October 2020 - 03:32 PM)

Well, welcome back!

@  Marchi1 : (13 October 2020 - 11:58 PM)

Holy Crap I got in...finally remembered my login

@  dezldave961 : (08 October 2020 - 02:13 PM)

:peeks around the corner:

@  ejguillot : (06 October 2020 - 01:41 PM)

Glad to hear there are still lurkers around.

@  buck531 : (05 October 2020 - 12:15 AM)

sup turd buckets?

@  de.regal : (04 October 2020 - 10:50 PM)

Still lurk every day

@  tpivette : (03 October 2020 - 02:32 AM)

Sucks these forums are as vacant as they are... oh well, there's still the faithful like us!

@  kevandkaye : (27 September 2020 - 02:40 AM)

Yet still, we lurk. :o

@  ejguillot : (27 September 2020 - 01:08 AM)

Yeah, Facebook took over and killed forums.

@  dezldave961 : (26 September 2020 - 03:24 AM)

Ya, most of the original wave of active members have changed vehicles to something (probably) less mod-friendly, with the occasional person in an LS or Hemi that they do some bolt-ons to. Kinda sad that forums faded.

@  ejguillot : (23 September 2020 - 09:02 PM)

Finally updated my signature to match my current Buick.

@  ejguillot : (10 September 2020 - 03:20 AM)

Things are terminally quiet around here...

@  sky72lark : (07 August 2020 - 12:38 AM)

:orcs-buttshake:

@  dezldave961 : (29 July 2020 - 04:06 AM)

Just became a moderator on 3800Pro, so that's fun. I know it's gone thru a couple hands since Intense got sold, then that guy sold the forum. Not sure what that'll help, but it's something.

@  ejguillot : (26 July 2020 - 02:47 AM)

Glad to hear it. Would be a tragedy for us remaining owners to lose the knowledge in these forums.

@  dezldave961 : (12 July 2020 - 01:55 AM)

Hosted a buddy and his family for cookout... Ya, not alot on forums lately. Just keeping the lights on.

@  ejguillot : (08 July 2020 - 03:16 AM)

Everyone have a good 4th? This place is a ghost town...

@  ejguillot : (10 May 2020 - 10:43 PM)

Sweet!

@  dezldave961 : (07 May 2020 - 04:14 PM)

Got bored and started making build video...

@  dezldave961 : (04 May 2020 - 04:05 AM)

I need to hunt down the little black trim bar that's at the top edge of the GS rocker panel cover, for driver's side between rear door and wheel well.

Photo
- - - - -

Swapped in a DHP 1.0 PCM, now car won't crank

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tpivette

tpivette

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE
  • First Name:
    Anthony

Posted 15 October 2020 - 12:26 AM

Since this forum is more active than anywhere else I would normally be supposed to post this, I'll do it here.

Bought a DHP 1.0 PCM from a forum member on here about 4 years ago, and just now finally installed it. Tried to crank the car... dash lights come on and fuel pump primes, but when turning the key to the run position I get no crank, no starter click, nothing.

Could this be a VIN issue? As in, the PCM and BCM have different VINs that aren't communicating and triggering the VATS system? I've also heard about a module that's specific to the 1997 PCMs that needs to be swapped between the two for a crank relearn procedure. I suppose that would be easy enopugh to test... will do so later tonight.

Anyone have any insight?

Edited by tpivette, 16 October 2020 - 06:10 PM.

#2 dezldave961

dezldave961

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationVA
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 15 October 2020 - 02:50 AM

Not sure on the 97 Regals, I avoid pre-98 stuff like it has Rona.

Could be security, could be case learn, could be something else. Until someone else chimes in, check to see if it's got spark and fuel flowing while it cranks, to get more accurate suggestions (easier as 2-person job).

Edited by dezldave961, 15 October 2020 - 02:53 AM.

#3 orgedaddy

orgedaddy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • LocationNew Brighton, MN
  • First Name:
    Russ

Posted 15 October 2020 - 04:26 AM

My uneducated guess would be it needs a security relearn. Zzp lists a few different procedures in faq #9 (way down the page).
https://zzperformanc...00261380158#faq
I think I had to use the alternate procedure before my pcm decided to be happy if I remember right, it was many years ago.

#4 OhMyGS

OhMyGS

RGS.org VIP Server Upgrade supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,831 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois
  • First Name:
    Alan

Posted 15 October 2020 - 04:54 PM

Not sure if it will matter but try to swap the little module from the side of the original pcm to the dhp pcm. See if that helps. A case learn is always a good idea when swapping a pcm.

#5 tpivette

tpivette

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE
  • First Name:
    Anthony

Posted 16 October 2020 - 12:21 AM

Thanks for the input guys.

My car is a 1997 Regal GS, so I thought I could only use PCMs from that year. Didn't think the 98-02 or 03 versions would even work in a 97.

I am going to try and swap in the Case Module located in the 97 PCM. Was going to do it last night... and then tonight... but I've been getting home from work late and just didn't have the time. Tomorrow after work for sure. Will post the results.

#6 ejguillot

ejguillot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • LocationTampa
  • First Name:
    Edwin

Posted 16 October 2020 - 12:13 PM

If you're not cranking at all, a CASE learn doesn't even come into play yet.  It's probably the security system.  To get around that:

Put the key in, turn to On, DO NOT try to start.  You'll see the security light come on, then go out after about 10 minutes.  Turn the key to Off, then back to On (the security light will come on again.)  Wait another 10 minutes, then Off and On again.  Do the wait one more time (3 total), then Off for the last time.  The car should now start.

#7 tpivette

tpivette

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE
  • First Name:
    Anthony

Posted 16 October 2020 - 06:08 PM

Interesting... I will try this after work before I swap the module.

You don't have to do this everytime you want to start the car, do you? This is just kind of like a relearn procedure?

EDIT: Didn't get a chance today after work to try any of the above mentioned suggestions. It's been raining pretty heavy on the northeast coast all day and the car is currently parked outside. Will definitely have an update to this tomorrow sometime.

Edited by tpivette, 17 October 2020 - 03:42 AM.

#8 tpivette

tpivette

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE
  • First Name:
    Anthony

Posted 17 October 2020 - 06:14 AM

Oh kay... swapped the Case Learn Module (or whatever it's called) from my stock PCM to the new DHP 1.0 PCM. Put the new PCM in place of the stocker. Turned the key to the "on" position and waited a few seconds... weird... no "Security" light came on. OK... well, I guess I'll just try to start it.

VROOM!

Wha... holy shit! It started!. Awesome! But, since it's 2 in the morning on the east coast, I'm not about to take it for a test drive (it's late and I'm drunk). Hopefully, everything goes as well tomorrow morning as it did tonight and I'm able to drive it. Will test fully tomorrow after breakfast. Thanks for all your help! This forum is invaluable!

Edited by tpivette, 17 October 2020 - 06:33 AM.

#9 ejguillot

ejguillot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • LocationTampa
  • First Name:
    Edwin

Posted 19 October 2020 - 12:50 PM

Good to hear it worked!  97's and down seem to do things very differently than 98's and newer. I wish mine was a 99, 98 was the last year for the 3 channel ABS with the separate traction control module and the ABS computer inside the car. Simpler still.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

BoHeGeHa Dark Blue 2.1.1 © Thomas Yugar (Chemical Chaos)
Official upgrade for IPB 2.3.x © Michael ( Dev Fuse )
3.X © Upgrade by Dumbledore ( Tppskinning )