Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  dezldave961 : (01 May 2021 - 08:44 PM)

Yikes, well hope you guys get that resolved, so it stays active enough to remain viable.

@  WildGS : (30 April 2021 - 07:59 PM)

the sign in process is broke because the captcha is non-functional. That is why no new members.

@  dezldave961 : (28 April 2021 - 11:54 PM)

Somewhat true, but I'm not going to get too real about the demographics of Regal owners past & present. It'd be out of place on a Regal forum, and make people cross-eyed coming from a Regal owner. :blink:

@  Marchi1 : (28 April 2021 - 06:34 PM)

we are also hitting another round of buyers...and the group is again the young crowd and realizing that the older Regal is a bargin and normally better maintained than the GP of the saemarea.

@  dezldave961 : (26 April 2021 - 11:55 PM)

Hey, that's where I buy my top-of-the-line Spectre intake parts for my hotrod! (pre-turbo)

@  alemstrom : (26 April 2021 - 11:33 PM)

I'm here at Advance Auto

@  dezldave961 : (24 April 2021 - 02:22 PM)

We're now in a preservation community that some may discover, but it's been spread thin and the traffic has shifted away from the initial sharing styles (Tim/Zoom discuss this on ZZP podcasts, when those 4cyl goobers let them talk).

@  dezldave961 : (24 April 2021 - 02:20 PM)

The vehicles themselves dictate the demographic and activity level based on their following. GTP's drew the majority of the L67 crowd, including myself, and current 4/6/8cyl offerings of the last 15yrs are where 99% of our former peers and newcomers have shifted to.

@  Marchi1 : (21 April 2021 - 02:25 AM)

There are a few who come here for the info.....

@  dezldave961 : (19 April 2021 - 10:57 PM)

Ya, 3800/Wbody forums have cleared out. I hear there's some FB groups, but I'm ont on there and it sounds similar to the newbie-centric folks I see the last 1-2yrs on 3800pro & GPF.

@  glendayle : (18 April 2021 - 03:59 AM)

Man this thing used to be hoppin' on the daily. How times have chagned.

@  glendayle : (18 April 2021 - 03:59 AM)

LOL, someone chatted?!

@  dezldave961 : (17 April 2021 - 02:04 PM)

Just keeping the candle lit, as I mentioned on my only remaining local ClubGP chapter of the 3-4 I was very active on in my 20's

@  Marchi1 : (15 April 2021 - 07:00 PM)

nope...just us old timers

@  WildGS : (15 April 2021 - 03:56 AM)

are people still here?

@  dezldave961 : (12 April 2021 - 09:46 PM)

Hey, chuggin' along. Just finished a big overhaul on my turbo build after 12yrs.

@  Nateteo : (12 April 2021 - 05:56 PM)

literally, the last time I logged in was 3 years ago hows everybody doing

@  dezldave961 : (12 April 2021 - 04:43 PM)

Ya, they do open bracket at GS Nationals. I may go if I'm free, just to attend, even if there's no cage, yet.

@  Marchi1 : (12 April 2021 - 01:32 PM)

I am taking the SC car.I am sure it is a big event as it is in Bowling Green, KY so yeah will need to be fully copliant, but I think there is a bracket class. God I hope so

@  dezldave961 : (08 April 2021 - 01:50 PM)

*S&W Racecars cage for 95-99 Monte... I'd actually fit the xTSM class, aside from not being a RWD, if I swapped the Air-Air I/C back in. Probably wouldn't be competitive just yet, but I'd like to see them squirm.

Photo
- - - - -

Need Some Basic Mod Advice: Exhuast, Plugs, etc...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jwguinn

jwguinn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:08 PM

First off it has been years, possibly over a decade since I have posted here. Glad to see this site still exists :). So I did a few searches here and found some information about what I need, but of course my searches didn't lead me to a solid plan solely based upon working a with CHEAP budget. I know most of you guys are like damn another lazy cheap ass sob! However my lightly modded 1999 Regal GS has been wrecked a few times, paint peeling, and other various minor issues. Wife started it's downfall not me :P I was in Las Vegas on vacation with two of my friends and get a call that she drove it to see the in-laws who are 4 hours away and wrecked it. Put a huge damper on my vacation if you know what I mean. The worst of it she was supposed to leave a day later than she did and drive our loved but not as much Buick Century. So it was the wrong place at wrong time and wrong car :( Anyway here is what I am thinking and need your advice on it with a few links provided:

Btw I had the ubend and resonator delete along with a new flex and 2 1/2 inch pipe added about 12-13 years ago, my last mod actually, well it is leaking again and since I never did headers I decided to upgrade.

1) Already purchased Ebay headers with 3 inch outlet are on the way so I can't stop this train, and I am thinking of making everything 3 inches single exhaust with a cat so what do you think about:

2) http://www.ebay.com/...353.m1438.l2649

3) http://www.ebay.com/...ZZZdjlF&vxp=mtr

4) I will put the headers on myself, but will take the car to exhaust shop to weld in the cat and muffler with new 3 inch pipe in between.

5) I will then run the car with my 3.4 pulley and need to know should I go with 605s or 104s? Heard both on here and not too clear on it...

6) Would like in the near future to buy an HP tuner does anyone know why I would want to get the Pro over the Standard suite?

For now I will stop spamming you guys, let me know what you think and provide links to anything CHEAP and better than what I have linked. Also I don't want my car to sound like a ricer... No offense to anyone here :P Thanks in advance to anyone who replies. Edit: I want to add that I also don't want any codes set with this exhaust setup.

Edited by jwguinn, 13 August 2017 - 12:45 AM.

#2 scottydoggs98

scottydoggs98

I Know Regals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • First Name:
    scott

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:26 PM

forget the 3 inch cat back, put a res back on, best sounding mufflers are likely borlas, but they cost ya. i got a e bay cat back, its quiet like a 3800 should be, all we want to hear is the sc whine. 

the headers will have a reducer and flange to mate right up to the cat back. 

that cat, you could find another one for 50 shipped i bet, i did.  welded it in the speed daddy down pipe. 

#3 jwguinn

jwguinn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:39 AM

Definitely right about keeping it quiet. Do you have a link for the ebay catback? Also is there a how to write-up or video for the SD headers install?

#4 scottydoggs98

scottydoggs98

I Know Regals

• Members
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • First Name:
    scott

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:29 PM

http://www.grandprix...The-easy-method best one i know of, tool list as well.  pg killed the pics tho. 

single muffler replacement, same place i got mine from. only i got dual exhaust for a grand prix  http://www.ebay.com/...5QAAOSwyQtV2KNx

the dual exhaust. not seeing the one with the same crappy regal tips, so you'd need to find some grand prix tips to put on there, or but some other type. http://www.ebay.com/...sAAAOSwnHZYQY-U

#5 OhMyGS

OhMyGS

RGS.org VIP Server Upgrade supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,836 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois
  • First Name:
    Alan

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:41 AM

It wouldn't hurt to double back and re-read the Newbie Guides. There are two...the original written by Gary (Quick4A6) and the new one authored by Clint (glendayle).

#6 jwguinn

jwguinn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:29 AM

I have read the newbie guides years ago and recently. I do have a few mods done to my car(CAI, 605 plugs, 180 stat, intense pcm, intense modular pulley system, res/ubend del) but back in 2004 when I did them there were no cheap exhaust setups available. I really wanted the dual setup along with maybe 1.9 rockers but it was way out of my reach as I was just about to graduate college and broke. I basically want to do the exhaust now as cheap as possible to run my 3.4 pulley safely.

Thanks a lot for the help Scott. Is the single setup you linked better than the stock exhaust performance wise? What size is it, there is no info on the page? I listened to some of the 3 and 2.5 inch exhaust setups on youtube and no offense to anyone here but the majority sound like ricer fart cans. Only a few guys sounded decent, but maybe I just need to accept the crappier sound for the performance boost. I don't know if it was just the mufflers they used or if the exhaust is too big... V6 engines just don't sound like V8s :(. I'd like to stay as quiet as can be but with a good performance boost over stock. Otherwise, I might as well just bolt up the headers to my stock exhaust. It already has a 2.5 inch pipe replacing the resonator and ubend. That would save me close to $300. Maybe add a high flow cat though...

If I decided to do the dual setup would those grand prix be a direct fit or no? Assume I would need the slp cutout too, which I don't know if they are even around anymore.

Edited by jwguinn, 15 August 2017 - 03:54 AM.

#7 M_Dogg

M_Dogg

RGS.org VIP Server Upgrade supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts
  • LocationBrookfield IL
  • First Name:
    Marcin

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:02 AM

I had no luck with 3.4 pulley on 93 but I have no headers and was shooting for 17-18* of timing. Saw as much as 5+ degrees of knock on winter blend. I have a feeling that you might see some kr even with headers unless you invest in rockers/cam/IC or just get bigger injectors, run e85 if available and go crazy.

#8 scottydoggs98

scottydoggs98

I Know Regals

• Members
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • First Name:
    scott

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:29 PM

you'd be best to invest in a tuner. being able to control the timing is a big part of your tune.  

you need headers, or a plog and 3 inch dp to run that 3.4, the cat back has no effect on the flow.

the ebay links are factory size, 2.5 to a 2 1/4 Y to the mufflers, the single is likely 2.5 all the way back? not sure

and your right, its never gonna sound like a v8. most cat backs sound like complete crap to me too. borlas are about the only ones that sound 1/2 good. 

why i just went with a ebay stock grand prix cat back.  its no louder then it used to be. and maybe it flows a tad better.   also just cut the bumper out, no cut outs installed. trust me, if your not looking hard it looks normal. 

you will want to hit a junk yard and get a muffler hanger for the driver side tho. makes life a lot easier to hang that new muffler. 

i did have to weld on one new hanger to the under side of my car for it to be hung right. other then that, all other mounts lined right up. 

#9 jwguinn

jwguinn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 04:59 AM

I bought the hptuner but haven't did any tuning just yet. But I did do several scans. I scanned the car for a total of 4 wot runs before header install to see what the KR was with a 3.4 pulley. The KR would start between 35-40 mph and spiked out at 6*(most knock was lower though) until I let off of wot at about 80 mph. Didn't want to go any faster than that where I was... Then I did quite a bit of work to the car.

Now I have the SD headers installed along with new 104 plugs @ .055, new wires, new front o2 sensor, and new fuel filter. Also cleaned the throttle body, air filter, and pcv valve. Oil is fresh as well. Basically a full tune-up. Cat deleted with header install but kept stock exhaust setup from catback.

But still I have the same KR problem... Virtually no change in scans after headers and tune-up... Why no change in KR with adding headers? Can I tune it out? Or am I going to have to go up in pulley size? Just weird there was no drop...

Mod list(hopefully complete):
Cai
104 plugs
Dog bones flipped
Intense pcm
Headers with cat, ubend, and res delete
180 thermostat
3.4 pulley

Edited by jwguinn, 27 September 2017 - 05:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BoHeGeHa Dark Blue 2.1.1 © Thomas Yugar (Chemical Chaos)
Official upgrade for IPB 2.3.x © Michael ( Dev Fuse )
3.X © Upgrade by Dumbledore ( Tppskinning )