Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  dezldave961 : (01 May 2021 - 08:44 PM)

Yikes, well hope you guys get that resolved, so it stays active enough to remain viable.

@  WildGS : (30 April 2021 - 07:59 PM)

the sign in process is broke because the captcha is non-functional. That is why no new members.

@  dezldave961 : (28 April 2021 - 11:54 PM)

Somewhat true, but I'm not going to get too real about the demographics of Regal owners past & present. It'd be out of place on a Regal forum, and make people cross-eyed coming from a Regal owner. :blink:

@  Marchi1 : (28 April 2021 - 06:34 PM)

we are also hitting another round of buyers...and the group is again the young crowd and realizing that the older Regal is a bargin and normally better maintained than the GP of the saemarea.

@  dezldave961 : (26 April 2021 - 11:55 PM)

Hey, that's where I buy my top-of-the-line Spectre intake parts for my hotrod! (pre-turbo)

@  alemstrom : (26 April 2021 - 11:33 PM)

I'm here at Advance Auto

@  dezldave961 : (24 April 2021 - 02:22 PM)

We're now in a preservation community that some may discover, but it's been spread thin and the traffic has shifted away from the initial sharing styles (Tim/Zoom discuss this on ZZP podcasts, when those 4cyl goobers let them talk).

@  dezldave961 : (24 April 2021 - 02:20 PM)

The vehicles themselves dictate the demographic and activity level based on their following. GTP's drew the majority of the L67 crowd, including myself, and current 4/6/8cyl offerings of the last 15yrs are where 99% of our former peers and newcomers have shifted to.

@  Marchi1 : (21 April 2021 - 02:25 AM)

There are a few who come here for the info.....

@  dezldave961 : (19 April 2021 - 10:57 PM)

Ya, 3800/Wbody forums have cleared out. I hear there's some FB groups, but I'm ont on there and it sounds similar to the newbie-centric folks I see the last 1-2yrs on 3800pro & GPF.

@  glendayle : (18 April 2021 - 03:59 AM)

Man this thing used to be hoppin' on the daily. How times have chagned.

@  glendayle : (18 April 2021 - 03:59 AM)

LOL, someone chatted?!

@  dezldave961 : (17 April 2021 - 02:04 PM)

Just keeping the candle lit, as I mentioned on my only remaining local ClubGP chapter of the 3-4 I was very active on in my 20's

@  Marchi1 : (15 April 2021 - 07:00 PM)

nope...just us old timers

@  WildGS : (15 April 2021 - 03:56 AM)

are people still here?

@  dezldave961 : (12 April 2021 - 09:46 PM)

Hey, chuggin' along. Just finished a big overhaul on my turbo build after 12yrs.

@  Nateteo : (12 April 2021 - 05:56 PM)

literally, the last time I logged in was 3 years ago hows everybody doing

@  dezldave961 : (12 April 2021 - 04:43 PM)

Ya, they do open bracket at GS Nationals. I may go if I'm free, just to attend, even if there's no cage, yet.

@  Marchi1 : (12 April 2021 - 01:32 PM)

I am taking the SC car.I am sure it is a big event as it is in Bowling Green, KY so yeah will need to be fully copliant, but I think there is a bracket class. God I hope so

@  dezldave961 : (08 April 2021 - 01:50 PM)

*S&W Racecars cage for 95-99 Monte... I'd actually fit the xTSM class, aside from not being a RWD, if I swapped the Air-Air I/C back in. Probably wouldn't be competitive just yet, but I'd like to see them squirm.

Photo
- - - - -

Suspension upgrades

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 deezdad

deezdad

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationMendon, Ma
  • First Name:
    Dan

Posted 07 December 2020 - 12:36 AM

Hello everyone, I have a stock 100k mile 04 gs that's been garaged sitting for a couple years, would like to go thru it over the winter tune up, fluids etc and figured it would be a good time to go thru the suspension .. what should I replace and from where? Not looking to do anything crazy just an improvement over the worn stock parts maybe slightly lower with new 17" wheels & tires, some bracing etc. Just really don't know where to begin I haven't been here too much but do appreciate & look forward to your input, thanks -Dan

#2 ejguillot

ejguillot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • LocationTampa
  • First Name:
    Edwin

Posted 07 December 2020 - 06:17 PM

There are a lot of things to look at:

Condition of shocks?

Any squeaks or rattles?

Any rusty parts?

There are a lot of areas that can be improved, depending on budget.

#3 deezdad

deezdad

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationMendon, Ma
  • First Name:
    Dan

Posted 08 December 2020 - 01:14 AM

Probly didn't word things very well.. I'm gonna go head and replace the stock suspension parts wether it needs it or not just curious what u guys recommend for upgrades over stock

#4 ejguillot

ejguillot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • LocationTampa
  • First Name:
    Edwin

Posted 11 December 2020 - 06:10 PM

Here are a few standard recommendations that I have done to my Regal (check previous posts for more details): 

Throwing in brake upgrades as well.

Rear suspension:

Replace the standard trailing arm (U shaped open channel) with a boxed trailing arm, for increased stiffness

Install a strut tower brace across the rear strut towers

Replaced springs with ones from an Olds Intrigue (reportedly 40% stiffer than Regal GS springs)

KYB GR-2/Excel-G shocks

GM Performance Parts rear sway bar (Thicker than stock)

Front suspension:

Replaced the subframe with one from an 02 Impala (Aluminum, about 25 lbs lighter than the stock steel one)'

Replaced the subframe bushings with new ones (old ones were shot and mushy)

New lower control arms (Moog, meant for a Grand Prix GTP, different part # than the ones for a Regal. I presume it's stiffer bushings.)

Install a strut tower brace across the front strut towers (99 and newer usually have this standard)

Replaced springs with ones from an Olds Intrigue (reportedly 40% stiffer than Regal GS springs)

KYB GR-2/Excel-G shocks

GM Performance Parts front sway bar (Thicker than stock)

Replaced front brakes with setup from 98-02 Camaro/Firebird (from 11" single piston to 12" dual piston).  Look up F body brake upgrade

Search the forums for more details and howtos.

#5 Marchi1

Marchi1

Official RegalGS.org Flagship Car Owner

• Forum Moderator
  • 5,067 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 11 December 2020 - 06:58 PM

All of that above would keep you at stock ride height. If you want to go lower I have been running a set of Vogtland Springs on AGX struts with a pair of spring blockers in the rear since 2010, and love the ride.

I also would recommend the brake upgrade but pop for the extra on stainless steel lines for all four corners as well.

On a side note I may have some parts available soon for this.....

#6 OhMyGS

OhMyGS

RGS.org VIP Server Upgrade supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,836 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois
  • First Name:
    Alan

Posted 12 December 2020 - 02:01 AM

All this done here as well with some variation. SSC lowering springs, AGX struts, BMR trailing arms, strut tower braces front/rear, GP LCR, larger stabilizer bars front/rear, largest available for rear to help with under steer. Still rockin' the steel cradle though.

#7 ejguillot

ejguillot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • LocationTampa
  • First Name:
    Edwin

Posted 12 December 2020 - 08:04 PM

All correct about the stock ride height.  I didn't want to sacrifice ground clearance or suspension travel, there are some large speed bumps around where I live.  For shocks and struts, 2 other options to consider:

Stock height: Apparently GM sells a quick strut meant for the Impala police package cop cars.  Haven't found a part number yet, after years of searching.

Lowered/adjustable: You can still get the KYB AGX strut and lowering springs from ZZPerfomance, but the combo for all 4 corners will cost $899.  I would forget about that, spend less than $100 more, and get a full coilover setup from ZZP. See here:  https://zzperformanc...-coilovers-3800

Advantages of the coilover setup: pick your ride height, and can be adjusted after install.  Shock components are rebuildable, and parts for such are available for sale.

#8 deezdad

deezdad

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationMendon, Ma
  • First Name:
    Dan

Posted 12 December 2020 - 09:25 PM

Those coil overs look nice, what is the swift spring upgrade that one of the reviewers was talking about?

#9 ejguillot

ejguillot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • LocationTampa
  • First Name:
    Edwin

Posted 14 December 2020 - 08:25 PM

That I don't know.  I might be interested myself.

#10 Marchi1

Marchi1

Official RegalGS.org Flagship Car Owner

• Forum Moderator
  • 5,067 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 15 December 2020 - 12:23 PM

If you want something that handles well and is stock ride height get the Bilstein set-up for the GXP Grand Prix. Solid suspension and ride height is actually unchanged.

The swift spring upgrade is for a higher spring rate. The ones that normally come with these are a fairly soft spring.

#11 ejguillot

ejguillot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • LocationTampa
  • First Name:
    Edwin

Posted 15 December 2020 - 04:32 PM

Wonder what the full price of the Bilstein setup is. A quick look at Rockauto shows the front shocks at $179 each, figure the rears are about the same, add springs and other bits and you're at the same price as the ZZP coilovers.

#12 dezldave961

dezldave961

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationVA
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 17 December 2020 - 06:58 PM

The BC Racing coilovers (from ZZP or direct from BC) are definitely the way to go if you decide to spend any significant amount on upgrades, and BC has gotten big in the aftermarket, so maintenance/replacement/custom spring & shock options will be around for a while.  I may do Impala rears to get thru winter/spring (if a local yard has some) as I street-test the new setup, and set aside money for the BC's to dial in for different uses next year.  I had Intrigue rears (similar style back then) on my GTP for a long time, and it was a significant boost of 1-2".

My GXP is a fun OEM handling car, but I am eager to see what some upgrades beyond Bilsteins offer on the Regal.  Already did Dorman trailing arms and F/R strut braces (nice brackets from Don Rome and old ZZP ones).  Not trying to turn this boat into anything special, but the GXP has pampered me in these rolling VA hills the past couple years.

#13 ejguillot

ejguillot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • LocationTampa
  • First Name:
    Edwin

Posted 18 December 2020 - 05:33 PM

I'm with Dave on this one.  Have the same Dorman trailing arms and F/R STB's.  My current shocks and springs have 100K on them, and they're all worn out.  So I'm looking really hard at the ZZP/BC coilovers.

#14 Wildcat

Wildcat

Been There. Done That.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
  • First Name:
    Paul

Posted 06 January 2021 - 10:37 PM

The bearings may already have been done once by 100k miles, but if they have not then you might include the price of new unit-bearing assemblies in your budget.

My originals were absolutely toast at 70k miles, and my "cheap" replacements were toast at 150k miles. To the point that they made that telltale noise like worn out snow tires, and the car is wandering more and more.

In my case I can't separate the failing bearings for the not-so-great tires this time, but even with good tires you could feel a difference when the new bearings went in the first time.

I have Bilstein on the rear only, because at the time that was the only one available. They offered Sport and Touring models, and all that remained were the touring. Which worked out fine. AGX on the front. And I must say, that the '04 struts from the factory were fantastic! But they eventually wore out and I had to look for a replacement. A member here had the full GMPP Koni lowering strut kit he was selling, and you might check into that if you think they're still viable after all these years sitting on the shelf.

All of the mods the others are talking about you can feel by the seat of your pants. The strut tower braces were probably the biggest surprise to me. Very noticeable improvement.

But the best of all was the big-brake swap. I have the aluminum caliper Camaro brakes with Powerstop slotted rotors and they all just fit inside my stock Abboud wheels. The difference in braking feel was even more than I expected. Not only more powerful, but also smoother at the limit. And when the anti-lock checks in, it's much more subdued and you don't get the same oscillations and clunks and bumps as with the stock brakes. BIG improvement in my book. Well worth the minimal extra cost of doing business, if you're doing brakes anyway.

Good luck

paul

#15 dezldave961

dezldave961

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationVA
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 11 January 2021 - 01:20 AM

ZZP just hinted at a new suspension product release for 3800/W-body folks soon (guessing either more coil-over items, control arm upgrades again, or even better), so hopefully that along with some things they fell behind on re-stocking from their fabricated parts are available as spring/summer rolls around.

#16 ejguillot

ejguillot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • LocationTampa
  • First Name:
    Edwin

Posted 12 January 2021 - 09:38 PM

That's good news, that at least one merchant is developing new products for our platform.

#17 dezldave961

dezldave961

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationVA
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 09 March 2021 - 08:46 PM

Just put an order in for ZZP's new coilovers for the Regal. Figured why not, and their PR dude said they can be set super rigid in the rear for drag use. Added strut braces already, so with those and a cage soon, it should actually handle decent.

Attached File  ZZPCoilovers5_1000x.png   638.8KB   0 downloads

Edited by dezldave961, 11 March 2021 - 01:37 PM.

#18 ejguillot

ejguillot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • LocationTampa
  • First Name:
    Edwin

Posted 14 March 2021 - 04:39 AM

Whoo!  Pics please when you get them in.

#19 dezldave961

dezldave961

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationVA
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 15 March 2021 - 02:27 AM

Just fired-up the new turbo build this weekend. I'll post a short video of that and try filming the coilover install this week before test driving.

#20 dezldave961

dezldave961

Wheres the Newbie Guide?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationVA
  • First Name:
    Dave

Posted 03 April 2021 - 06:37 PM

Installed them just 1" shorter than factory-style struts (regular KYB replacements), so I can still drive it daily without headache.  They ride great and it eliminated the boat feeling that every W-body except maybe my GXP has.

I'll mess around with settings later (installed at ZZP's initial recommended rebound settings, and left springs alone after setting ride height with bottom of tube).  Might try a road rally cruise here in the Virginia mountains in 2wks, and maybe crank the rears up for drag settings at a test-n-tune.  I'll consider dropping them another inch or so, but need tires & alignment for this setting, first.  Also need to just get an upgraded rear sway bar to help overall.

- Dorman boxed trailing arms

- GM strut braces with ZZP front, Don Rome rear adapter plates

- slightly different wheel/tire combo on Mustang 17x8's (235's now, maybe 245's next)

- cradle spacers for new intake/TB setup

- stock-size brakes w/ drilled/slotted rotors (going 12" is on the table, but weight & still fitting 15" Welds... trap speeds should be 130+, so I'm gonna wanna stop & do fun curve driving)

- and now these coilovers

2021-04-01.jpg?authuser=0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BoHeGeHa Dark Blue 2.1.1 © Thomas Yugar (Chemical Chaos)
Official upgrade for IPB 2.3.x © Michael ( Dev Fuse )
3.X © Upgrade by Dumbledore ( Tppskinning )